UConn Rutgers Thread... | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Rutgers Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand. I read it this morning and the thread wasn't bad until it bubbled over on about page 7. People making silly assertions about the attitude and team leadership drive me nuts. These are unprovable one way or the other but they become a complaint and focus because the team struggles periodically. What was ignored was the tremendous defense played holding RU to 34. The game was played with few possessions 49/45. It was destined to be low scoring. The negative trend has been we are not getting possessions in recent games but 49 was a low.

We cannot all see the game as succinctly, as profoundly, and with as much knowledge, experience, and optimism as others might. I also do not see how criticizing other posters as being silly and ignorant advance the dialogue on this board. It is fair to say that we are all driven nuts here from time to time. Yet, we keep coming back.

Reaction Score
We cannot all see the game as succinctly, as profoundly, and with as much knowledge, experience, and optimism as others might. I also do not see how criticizing other posters as being silly and ignorant advance the dialogue on this board. It is fair to say that we are all driven nuts here from time to time. Yet, we keep coming back.

Another thought...

Some posters are watching the game either alone or with people who aren't as invested as we are. I think sometimes they use the board to say the things that the rest of us say in our living rooms where no one else can hear our hysteria/over-reaction/curse words.

I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt; not knowing them personally, and hope that other posters can stop mass hysteria on the board.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, I think most people are capable of making thoughtful and effective comments. I suppose that it can be even more clearly said many of the comments don't advance the quality of play by the team, too. At least on the board there is the possibility dialog and having an impact.

Reaction Score
I started to post last night, but deleted my comments and decided to wait until this morning. All I can say is this was such a poor game and several key players did not show up. The bottom line is we got a W.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So if a performance was collectively bad, why? If the trend is bad, why? What is different now? What are teams doing against us presently that they were not earlier and how is that resulting in the present struggles? If you can't diagnose the problem you can't begin to address it.

Reaction Score
So if a performance was collectively bad, why? If the trend is bad, why? What is different now? What are teams doing against us presently that they were not earlier and how is that resulting in the present struggles? If you can't diagnose the problem you can't begin to address it.

If Geno can't diagnose the problem himself, all we can do is speculate. Therein lies the board's problem:)

Something I've been wondering about:

Almost simultaneously last night, UConn reporters tweeted that the team didn't look like they wanted to play the game/shoot the ball. I'm very curious to hear the observations of Boneyarders that were at the game last night.

Agree? Disagree?

Reaction Score
This is a discussion board, not a cheerleading board, and I think there is a place for both positive and negative comments. I don't see why anything that isn't "they played great, they'll win every game" has to be automatically criticized. And there were plenty of positives and negatives last night. The defense was tremendous. Great gameplan, effort, and execution. The offense was lousy, not just because it was Rutgers and a low possession game. Too many turnovers, which Rutgers defense gets some credit for, but too many difficult passes because some of the shooters (Tiff, Kelly, Bria) were out of synch or just didn't have confidence in their shots last night. Poor perimeter shooting except KML, but the looks were generally pretty good and not much can be done except keep shooting.

Reaction Score
It's just the opponent, Rutgers! I never look forward to playing them. Just reminds me of a bad case of constipation. Next year - next year we'll have Mo Jefferson to break down these defenses, the clog. Rutgers is like some kind of virus that attacks the nervous system which causes complete confusion to an offense and renders the victim almost lifeless. Just an ugly nightmare. In the end the predator itself dies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
These kind of comments in the last three posts are not what I get frustrated by. It is the no one's showing leadership or we need to make those layups as soon as one is missed after three have been made and completely loses sight that 75% is a darn good %. Or the ones that repeat the same thing again and again without any recognition that some things simply can't change with the available skills or players. Hearing for the 800th time that Kelly needs to shoot because she is hurting us does nothing and neglects all the other reasons is on the court.

Game threads are not places to open deep discussions about why or what is happening but at the same time to give in too excessive negativity and neglect the totality of the game to focus on one thing creates misperception of just how good this team is at so many things. We have flaws this year but until the St. John game the only teams to exploit them have been raked #1 and 2. Not to shabby but you wouldn't know it sometimes.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Justml, I think Geno knows exactly what the problem is he just know how to solve it with the personalities and personnel available.

Reaction Score
Justml, I think Geno knows exactly what the problem is he just know how to solve it with the personalities and personnel available.

I think the same thing every time Geno says "If you guys know what the problem is, then you tell ME".

Unfortunately Geno "not knowing" leads to sometimes harmful speculation as posters tend to target specific players.

Hope you join the game thread tonight:)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think the same thing every time Geno says "If you guys know what the problem is, then you tell ME".

Unfortunately Geno "not knowing" leads to sometimes harmful speculation as posters tend to target specific players.

Hope you join the game thread tonight:)
Excellent point.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
justml, I think Geno knows exactly what the problem is he just doesn't know how to solve it with the personalities and personnel available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom