UConn @ Rhode Island Rams (Tuesday 5/18/21 @3p @ Bill Beck Field). Chris Jones audio on Mixlr | The Boneyard

UConn @ Rhode Island Rams (Tuesday 5/18/21 @3p @ Bill Beck Field). Chris Jones audio on Mixlr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bill Beck Field (Capacity 1,000)
Field Surface: All Field Turf
LF: 330ft
LC: 375ft
CF: 400ft
RC: 375ft
RF: 300ft

Rhode Island is 28-24-1 (13-7 A10)
RPI is currently @ 73

Rhode Island Athletics has approval for home fans and visiting team fans at field w/ mask/social distancing requirements.

Reaction Score
While it would be expected that today will be a staff day for UConn, it will be interesting to see who actually draws the starting assignment. Will it be Joe Simeone going 2 or 3 innings, and if it is him, will he come back and do the same for the Saturday start against Seton Hall? Aside from the starts that Simeone, Casparius, Patterson, and Gallagher, the only other pitchers who have started a game this season for UConn are Kenny Haus and Jimmy Wang, they both had 1 start.

Reaction Score
I know we don’t know what the coaches do about who practices well, but I’d love to see Dunlop get the 2 to 3 inning start in one of them. His last two appearances out of the pen were fine. Maybe being the 5th starter would be more valuable in the post—season than being the 9th or whatever receiver. Especially for someone who had two outstanding starts in the postseason two years ago.

Reaction Score
I know we don’t know what the coaches do about who practices well, but I’d love to see Dunlop get the 2 to 3 inning start in one of them. His last two appearances out of the pen were fine. Maybe being the 5th starter would be more valuable in the post—season than being the 9th or whatever receiver. Especially for someone who had two outstanding starts in the postseason two years ago.

Dunlop's last two appearance from the pen were indeed fine, but they were also very short affairs. I believe they were an inning or less.

In preseason interviews the coaching staff talked about how they thought that moving Dunlop to the pen and having shorter stints would make him a more effective pitcher. Don't know if they have changed their mind on that.

I'm inclined to think UConn is going to need a pitcher or two to step up aside from the 4 main starters (which of course includes Simeone's abbreviated outings) and the 5 relievers that they have relied on out of the bullpen in order to get through this 5 game in 5 day stretch, and for that matter, through post season tournament action, including possible NCAA action. I'm inclined to think the most likely candidates would be Garrett Coe, Dunlop, and possibly Reggie Crawford, even though he hasn't seen much mound action of late. I suppose O'Donnell could also come in to face a lefty hitter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dunlop's last two appearance from the pen were indeed fine, but they were also very short affairs. I believe they were an inning or less.

In preseason interviews the coaching staff talked about how they thought that moving Dunlop to the pen and having shorter stints would make him a more effective pitcher. Don't know if they have changed their mind on that.

I'm inclined to think UConn is going to need a pitcher or two to step up aside from the 4 main starters (which of course includes Simeone's abbreviated outings) and the 5 relievers that they have relied on out of the bullpen in order to get through this 5 game in 5 day stretch, and for that matter, through post season tournament action, including possible NCAA action. I'm inclined to think the most likely candidates would be Garrett Coe, Dunlop, and possibly Reggie Crawford, even though he hasn't seen much mound action of late. I suppose O'Donnell could also come in to face a lefty hitter.

Yeah, I know that's what the coaches said. And I know his two recent appearances were brief. I also know the experiment to make him a top tier reliever (from how he was used the first two weekend he appeared to be the #3 bullpen arm) failed totally and miserably, and I also know he's he one arm we have with quality post season starts (and that he was two for two two years ago). My point is that his history is such that I want to see him get a chance to help the team in the post-season as the 4th or 5th starter. Regardless of what Penders' plans were coming into the season.

Don't know why we haven' seen Ray Lucas after one effective appearance. Would love to think McBride could help but control has been an issue (stuff hasn't been). It will take more than 9 arms to get through an NCAA regional, if we're lucky enough to get there.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I know that's what the coaches said. And I know his two recent appearances were brief. I also know the experiment to make him a top tier reliever (from how he was used the first two weekend he appeared to be the #3 bullpen arm) failed totally and miserably, and I also know he's he one arm we have with quality post season starts (and that he was two for two two years ago). My point is that his history is such that I want to see him get a chance to help the team in the post-season as the 4th or 5th starter. Regardless of what Penders' plans were coming into the season.

Don't know why we haven' seen Ray Lucas after one effective appearance. Would love to think McBride could help but control has been an issue (stuff hasn't been). It will take more than 9 arms to get through an NCAA regional, if we're lucky enough to get there.

Pretty much in agreement. I think UConn could very well need more than 9 pitchers to get through this week's games and the Big East tournament, as well as any NCAA tourney appearance that comes about. This covid season through its cancellation of many midweek games plus the sudden stops and starts has helped rob the opportunity to develop the lesser used arms on the staff.

It's possible that Will Lucas and others (Sam Favieri comes to mind) may have gotten hurt again, but who knows the answer to that one. I too would have liked to have seen more of him considering he was pretty effective last season.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I figured at the beginning of the season Crawford might D.H. some on the days that he pitched. I'm guessing by labeling him as the pitcher and D.H., UConn won't lose the D.H. after someone else comes in to pitch. Of course, there haven't been that many midweek games, so they haven't had to do it.

Reaction Score
Oops. But given that we’ve only seen him hit the mound once, I forgive myself for forgetting.
Heck for that matter, what happened to Mayock this year. Not one appearance to date.

Reaction Score
Heck for that matter, what happened to Mayock this year. Not one appearance to date.

Some of it may be due to injury, but I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the lack of midweek non conference games. UConn has not played a midweek game since early April against Bryant. These type of games are the time for experimentation, you just don't see experimentation during conference games, as they are just too valuable to mess around with lesser used players. That's my guess anyway. And now that I have written that, Chris Jones pretty much has said the same thing during the top of the 1st, not necessarily about Mayock, but lesser used pitchers in general.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Top 1st, a 2 out wind blown pop up falls in, enabling 2 unearned runs to score on the error. 2-0 UConn.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, a 1-2-3 inning for Crawford with 2 strikeouts.

Chris Jones saying the next UConn pitcher after Crawford today may be Simeone for one round through the Rhode Island batting order.

Reaction Score
Bottom 3rd, Crawford gets the first 2 hitters, then the next 2 reach on a single and a walk. Simeone coming in to pitch.

Reaction Score
Bottom 3rd, Crawford gets the first 2 hitters, then the next 2 reach. Simeone coming in to pitch.
He frustrated himself w/ not covering first on the groundball and seemingly lost his focus.

Reaction Score
Bottom 3rd, Crawford gets the first 2 hitters, then the next 2 reach. Simeone coming in to pitch.

What are we doing? Bring a reliever in here to get the out. Then bring Simeone in to start the 4th. Why would you bring a struggling starter in to this spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom