UConn President Thomas Katsouleas will leave post, sources say | The Boneyard

UConn President Thomas Katsouleas will leave post, sources say

Reaction Score
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

“He will be leaving any day. He is gone. I think it’s next week and as far as the reasoning it wasn’t a good fit,’' said a member of the General Assembly with first-hand knowledge of the situation. An additional source close to UConn also confirmed Katsouleas’s pending departure, which could come as soon as Friday.

Reaction Score
That was a quick tenure... I wonder what happened.
Says in the article "it wasn't a good fit" and also talks about some labor cost issues that seemed to frustrate him on getting research grants. On top of all of that, probably was a really tough year and a half dealing with COVID and wants something cushier than the title of President.

I'm sure we will hear more down the road and will be interesting to see where he goes next since it sounds like he isn't leaving for another post and also who they replace him with.

Reaction Score
Says in the article "it wasn't a good fit" and also talks about some labor cost issues that seemed to frustrate him on getting research grants. On top of all of that, probably was a really tough year and a half dealing with COVID and wants something cushier than the title of President.

I'm sure we will hear more down the road and will be interesting to see where he goes next since it sounds like he isn't leaving for another post and also who they replace him with.
They did a good job keeping it under wraps till now...

“In a letter dated March 13 to Dan Toscano, chair of the UConn board of trustees, Katsouleas said “for reasons we have discussed at length over time, I have made the difficult decision to resign my position as President of the University of Connecticut.”

Reaction Score

Definitely interesting. Going to read the full article soon & as you said, we will definitely see more about it. Crazy that the class of 2022 will have had 3 different presidents at UConn when they graduate. That has to be a very high pressure job to be in and with his experience he should have no problem landing something else.

Reaction Score
"One of the best choices a student can make in pursuing higher education is a research university where they are learning from faculty who are creating new knowledge,” he told The Courant’s editorial board in 2019. “There’s a value proposition when you are gaining the inspiration, insight and wisdom from those who are really leading the way. These are the kinds of experiential learning that you just can’t replicate anywhere else.”

This line kind of struck me. How true is that actually at the undergraduate level?

My fiance is defending her PhD as soon as her family gets time off from work, she also has a JD... I would think she has probably has taken more classes than most people. Her opinion is that the professor MOST attached to research are the worst teachers of undergrads. Even the most unique undergrad majors don't really require professors that are specialized like you would for grad programs.

Just food for thought. I don't really have enough experience to say definitively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Connecticut and UConns cost structures are just too large and anticompetitive. We’ve seen it forever.
Good businesses leave.

UConn health’s fringe benefit load is three times that at St Francis or Hartford Hospital which makes that a sinkhole and being anticompetitive has now reared its ugly head in research.

Years and years of kicking the can by legislators and UConn executives all summarized in his departure. And yet no one has the political fortitude to address it and raising taxes is no longer a strategy

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"One of the best choices a student can make in pursuing higher education is a research university where they are learning from faculty who are creating new knowledge,” he told The Courant’s editorial board in 2019. “There’s a value proposition when you are gaining the inspiration, insight and wisdom from those who are really leading the way. These are the kinds of experiential learning that you just can’t replicate anywhere else.”

This line kind of struck me. How true is that actually at the undergraduate level?

My fiance is defending her PhD as soon as her family gets time off from work, she also has a JD... so probably has taken more classes than most people. Her opinion is that the professor MOST attached to research are the worst teachers of undergrads. Even the most unique undergrad majors don't really require professors that are specialized like you would for grad programs.

Just food for thought. I don't really have enough experience to say definitively.
What is PhD in?

Reaction Score
Connecticut and UConns cost structure is just too large and anticompetitive. We’ve seen it forever. Good businesses leave. UConn health’s fringe benefit load is three times that at St Francis or Hartford Hospital which makes that a sinkhole. Being anticompetitive has now shown its head in research. Years and years of kicking the can by legislators and UConn executives all summarized in his departure. And yet no one has the political fortitude to address it and raising taxes is no longer a strategy
Yeah I don’t see this as a good thing at all. I would say it might be a wake up call for the state, but let’s face the sad truth there...

Reaction Score
What is PhD in?

Not quite sure of the actual department. She seems to split time between poli sci, sociology, philosophy departments. But she studies labor law/labor theory, work-ish stuff in general. She describes it as "basically the book BullIsh Jobs but academic and less fun."

As I've said before on the yard: I'm the dumb one in our household.

CL82

Reaction Score
But Katsouleas was frequently frustrated by high labor costs at UConn, linked to the state’s chronic underfunding of pension and health care benefits, and said the university was losing out on research grants because of them.

Are our labor costs higher due to past underfunding or because the legislature mandates higher than market wages as a matter of public policy? We've seen that with the stadia build out. UConn's new hockey arena is more expensive and has lower capacity than arenas at private institutions because of it. In any event if it is causing us to lose grants the legislature needs to create an except for public research projects. UConn could be an engine of development for the state if can be competitive for grants. That was the whole idea behind the tech campus.

Like colleges and universities across the country, the COVID-19 pandemic put a strain on UConn’s finances. A free tuition program for students from low-income families was halted, and administrators reached out to the General Assembly for tens of millions in extra financial help.

In my opinion this program was always a bit of bad fit at the state's flagship university, though providing access to higher learning for low income families is a laudable and appropriate state goal. Note that UConn already has many programs to do just that. How New Jersey addresses it with the "Stars" program. Good students can attend county colleges for free and, if they maintain a sufficient GPA, can attend Rutgers at no cost in their junior and senior years. That is more cost efficient since it doesn't require room and board costs and the tuition cost of the county colleges are much cheaper than the four year schools. The Katsouleas plan is one of those ideas than sound great, but are ill-considered.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Not quite sure of the actual department. She seems to split time between poli sci, sociology, philosophy departments. But she studies labor law/labor theory, work-ish stuff in general. She describes it as "basically the book BullIsh Jobs but academic and less fun."

As I've said before on the yard: I'm the dumb one in our household.
PhD or JSD?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is so weird considering he just gave an address at my commencement yesterday.

Maybe we can hire the UHart president and go back to the AAC

Reaction Score

My fiance is defending her PhD as soon as her family gets time off from work, she also has a JD... I would think she has probably has taken more classes than most people. Her opinion is that the professor MOST attached to research are the worst teachers of undergrads. Even the most unique undergrad majors don't really require professors that are specialized like you would for grad programs.

I can't really speak for other subject areas, but I majored in Biology at UConn (specifically Ecology and Evolutionary Biology). I personally found it helpful that many of my professors were making great strides in ecological and evolutionary research and I was getting first hand knowledge from them about topics interesting to me before their publications came out. In different classes I was taken to their research sites and this experience provided really valuable information for me to really be well prepared and hit the ground running when I got my M.S. at a different university immediately after. I probably would have continued for a PhD if it wasn't for the fact that I was dating someone seriously and just wanted to get my life started.

Reaction Score

UConn's very, very high Indirect Cost rate (IDCs) that they try to add to the direct costs of faculty's research grants are a major barrier to faculty's obtaining research grants from many organizations. Can attest first-hand. TomCat is not BS'ing about that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom