UConn Power Conference Profile - A Long Look at the Numbers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Power Conference Profile - A Long Look at the Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I suggest that you, or a moderator, add this info to the original post to make it easier to find.

God knows it's not me but isn't there some tech-savvy genius around here skilled and creative enough to create a webpage or googledocs page or some kind of shared accessible platform that this information can be presented and updated as we move forward. Then only a link needs to be sent.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I suggest that you, or a moderator, add this info to the original post to make it easier to find.

Agree. I've asked someone with Mod ability to add this contribution to the original post as I do not have Mod access (nor will it allow me to Edit my post since the 15 minutes have passed that I posted it). I've asked that @UConnJim get the proper and due credit for his research too so I don't usurp anyone's efforts.

God knows it's not me but isn't there some tech-savvy genius around here skilled and creative enough to create a webpage or googledocs page or some kind of shared accessible platform that this information can be presented and updated as we move forward. Then only a link needs to be sent.

Good idea. I'm not tech savvy enough to create a web page. Maybe someone from the UConn Blog, Boneyard Mod or @UConn07 will want to add some of this to their site(s). Agree that having a link that is assessable by everyone (I assume that people have to register at the Boneyard to read our threads) might be good for those of you spreading some of this on Twitter/social media.

Reaction Score
I lived in Boston myself and can attest that outside of BC's own lukewarm alumni base and some die-hard local Catholics (oddly enough, I know a lot of die-hard BC fans who went to Stonehill, St. Anslem & St. Micheal's and not BC), BC's fanbase is small. Still, that is more than Syracuse has.

PS - Boston is the 7th largest TV market whereas Syracuse is the 81st largest. Thus, BC's 5% market share in Boston is a lot bigger than the Fruit's 50% market share in Syracuse.
Syracuse has a lot of fans who aren't local.

The comparison between those two fan bases is laughable. You don't have to like Syracuse to know they have brand recognition in a way that BC never has.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Syracuse has a lot of fans who aren't local.

The comparison between those two fan bases is laughable. You don't have to like Syracuse to know they have brand recognition in a way that BC never has.

Agree. BC might have the smallest fanbase in the entire P5. Syracuse always represents well in the northeast, especially NYC. There will be plenty of orange at the Rent this fall too (unfortunately).

Reaction Score
Agree. I've asked someone with Mod ability to add this contribution to the original post as I do not have Mod access (nor will it allow me to Edit my post since the 15 minutes have passed that I posted it). I've asked that @UConnJim get the proper and due credit for his research too so I don't usurp anyone's efforts.

No credit needed. I just wanted to add some facts to our resume!

Reaction Score
Drew said:
this times 10000x when I came to UConn from North Carolina I was shocked that the entire southern section of Connecticut basically considers itself a NYC suburb. Still is bizarre to me to this day

Lots of people like me take the train into the city every day.

Reaction Score
Agree. BC might have the smallest fanbase in the entire P5. Syracuse always represents well in the northeast, especially NYC. There will be plenty of orange at the Rent this fall too (unfortunately).

And that is my argument. BC will always have that small, niche, Catholic leaning fanbase around Boston no matter what happens elsewhere. Syracuse value is based on its presence not in upstate NY; but, the NYC area. Should UConn join a P5 conference, that value would be threatened as a private university with just 20,000 students located 250 miles away from NYC versus a state university (tuition price) with 30,000 students and growing located just 150 miles away from NYC (not to mention Rutgers with 60,000 students located 45 miles away from Time Square).

Reaction Score
WVU responded to my email. I posted a screenshot of it in a different thread, but here it is again

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 1.25.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 1.25.56 PM.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 64

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think 5% is high. I don't think 1 of 20 people in Boston follow BC at all. I know 0 BC fans.

I live in metro Boston and know a lot of BC fans. What many of them are is fickle. If BC wins, it will have little trouble filling the stands. They do this now for hockey. Basketball has been terrible for so long many BC fans pretend it doesn't exist. Football, if it gets back to 8-9 win seasons will be fine. The 5% number is low if anything, and would be much higher is they were doing well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
this times 10000x

when I came to UConn from North Carolina I was shocked that the entire southern section of Connecticut basically considers itself a NYC suburb. Still is bizarre to me to this day

I grew up in Manchester and still didn't really grasp that this was the case until I got to UConn. But even east of the river I grew up with cable Channel 38 showing all the Red Sox games, Channel 11 showing all the Yankee games and Channel 9 showing the Mets games.

Do people in Texas and Oklahoma understand that about 1/3 of Connecticut residents have NYC TV stations as their local stations? That the NY Times is delivered to their driveways? I don't think they get that.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Lots of people like me take the train into the city every day.

Nothing against you personally, I think its hilarious that people do this. They'll take the train 90+ minutes to work each way every day but won't drive somewhere that's 45 minutes away because it's "too far"

Reaction Score
Great post. If not the B1G, the Big 12 is exactly where UConn needs to be. Imagine dismantling Kansas in Gampel on a Saturday night or playing OU in a packed, loud Rent. However, the Big 12 doesn't sponsor men's soccer, just women's. Our women's team is very good, but I can't imagine those attendance numbers are for the women. We'd need to find a place to play men's soccer. If not the AAC, I would bet the Big East would take us back for men's soccer, which is still a good soccer conference in its own right.

Reaction Score
Nothing against you personally, I think its hilarious that people do this. They'll take the train 90+ minutes to work each way every day but won't drive somewhere that's 45 minutes away because it's "too far"
Maybe some commuters to the City are inspired by the financial incentives of the global capital, choose to live and educate their children somewhere nicer and better, but opt not to drive far after long work weeks.

Reaction Score
That 90 minute train ride isn't a 45 minute commute ride. It's more like 2 hrs+. Let's put it this way..my firehouse is on west 43rd St in Manhattan..29 miles door to door from my house in Port Chester...a 30-45 minute ride without traffic. If I don't leave my house by 6 am to go in for the day shift and 3:30 for a night shift..my commute goes from 30-45 minutes to 1.5 hr +.

Reaction Score
I live in metro Boston and know a lot of BC fans. What many of them are is fickle. If BC wins, it will have little trouble filling the stands. They do this now for hockey. Basketball has been terrible for so long many BC fans pretend it doesn't exist. Football, if it gets back to 8-9 win seasons will be fine. The 5% number is low if anything, and would be much higher is they were doing well.

Every experience is different. I have lived in the metro for 20 years, am an alumni of BC, and even today spend an unhealthy amount of time in the local bars. I have always found the BC following to be laughably bad, even when they field decent teams. Aside from the uconn hate, they suffer from Bu/Nu hate, anti-Catholic hate, Blue collar hate, and casual observer apathy. It is hard to identify with BC unless you are an alumni, and even then you may already have deeper rooted passions developed before school. They have leveraged the media and tie-ins with the Red Sox well, yet they are still invisible to most people. I think OSU probably doubles or triples there active fanbase downtown.

Reaction Score

I will drive anywhere. So that isn't me.

Reaction Score

The problem in CT (and NY, NJ and to a lesser degree Boston and Philly) is that a 45 minute train ride is a 45 minute train ride just about every day whereas the same 45 minute drive on a Sunday morning can easily be a 3 hour drive on a Friday night in the summer or winter.

Reaction Score
Every experience is different. I have lived in the metro for 20 years, am an alumni of BC, and even today spend an unhealthy amount of time in the local bars. I have always found the BC following to be laughably bad, even when they field decent teams. Aside from the uconn hate, they suffer from Bu/Nu hate, anti-Catholic hate, Blue collar hate, and casual observer apathy. It is hard to identify with BC unless you are an alumni, and even then you may already have deeper rooted passions developed before school. They have leveraged the media and tie-ins with the Red Sox well, yet they are still invisible to most people. I think OSU probably doubles or triples there active fanbase downtown.

I lived in Boston a while and overall agree. Even the most obnoxious BC Alumni, the Triple Eagles, are very fair weather. That said, I have found that some of the most loyal BC fans are the locals who went to St. Anslem's, St. Micheal's, and Stonehill and do not have a BC degree.

Reaction Score
I have walked past that station many times trying to get away from the tourist hordes in Times Square on the way to one meeting or another. For being a NYC firefighter, thank you.
Thanks...I think I know the one you're talking about..it's on 43 st just east of 6th Ave...my firehouse is actually all the way west about a block and a half from the Hudson and the Circle Line.

Dooley

Reaction Score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-with-the-most-alums-on-nfl-week-1-rosters

» The non-Power 5 conference school (plus Notre Dame) with the most players currently in the NFL? This one might surprise you. It's not Boise State, Fresno State, Central Florida, or any of the powerhouses of the MAC. It's Connecticut. UConn had 17 players players on 53-man Week 1 NFL rosters. That's impressive stuff for a program that hasn't won more than five games in a season since 2010 -- including a dismal 2-10 campaign in 2014. Coming out of that two-win season, UConn produced a first-round draft pick in 2015, cornerback Byron Jones. In the past three drafts, UConn had nine players drafted. That's more than high-profile traditional powers such as Texas (5), Auburn (7), Michigan (7), Tennessee (7) and Miami (8).

Reaction Score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ams-with-the-most-alums-on-nfl-week-1-rosters

» The non-Power 5 conference school (plus Notre Dame) with the most players currently in the NFL? This one might surprise you. It's not Boise State, Fresno State, Central Florida, or any of the powerhouses of the MAC. It's Connecticut. UConn had 17 players players on 53-man Week 1 NFL rosters. That's impressive stuff for a program that hasn't won more than five games in a season since 2010 -- including a dismal 2-10 campaign in 2014. Coming out of that two-win season, UConn produced a first-round draft pick in 2015, cornerback Byron Jones. In the past three drafts, UConn had nine players drafted. That's more than high-profile traditional powers such as Texas (5), Auburn (7), Michigan (7), Tennessee (7) and Miami (8).
You want this added to your OP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul