UConn players that are now coaches or we would like see: | The Boneyard

UConn players that are now coaches or we would like see:

Reaction Score
UConn players that are now coaches or we would like see:

This topic is being discussed in the Shea Ralph thread but I think should be its own. With Shea Ralph on the verge of taking over the Vanderbilt program what other alum players are coaching or would you like to see coaching.

Carla Berube is at Princeton
Morgan Valley is at Hartford
Tamika Williams is at Ohio State
Ashja Jones is with the Washington Mystics
Ann Strother was at basketball director at a college in Colorado
Janelle Elliot is with UConn
Jen Rizzotti is on hold

Would love to see Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi coaching one day but that won’t happen. I think that they should do the Rebecca Lobo route and be TV analyst.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
My pick is Carla Berube. She is building a good resume from Tufts to Princeton. She is also involved in USAWBB. There's a consistency there that's important. If the school is going to stay within the UConn family, then it needs to be someone who has shown progressive success. Even if someone is an asst at a big school, it doesn't guarantee success as a HC at UConn. Huge shoes to fill.

Here's a random thought - CD does a season as HC with the next HC as the associate HC. Brings continuity, and the new HC doesn't get thrown in the deep end right away.

Reaction Score
I think that Taurasi's next step is coaching. Not sure that it will be college basketball because of the recruiting although her name is enough to get through the door. It will probably be the NBA.

If she wanted college coaching she would be like a Dawn Staley and get many players who want to be in her program. Who knows?

Reaction Score
DT has said her interests after bball are with owning a team.

If we are putting together a list:

Willnet Crocket is an asst. at Temple
Nykesha Sales is an assistant at Central Florida

I think it takes a UConn family member to coach there with Geno and CD. It's a way of doing things that few people have experience with. Marisa I think is the only outsider to thrive. Even Cardosa had a UVA connection to where Geno coached before UConn.

Reaction Score

I think it takes a UConn family member to coach there with Geno and CD. It's a way of doing things that few people have experience with. Marisa I think is the only outsider to thrive. Even Cardosa had a UVA connection to where Geno coached before UConn.
Marisa worked Geno’s summer camps.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Two points:

If Shea interviewed and is taking the Vandy job, Geno has know all along. Shea most likely asked Geno for his advice/ opinion.

Second, assuming Geno knew, he and CD have already prepared a short list of candidates. As to the list proposed by the OP, I don't see any of those being candidates.

As to who the candidate may be, I have no idea. But as some have suggested, it may be time for a non-UConn assistant coach.

Reaction Score
Two points:

If Shea interviewed and is taking the Vandy job, Geno has know all along. Shea most likely asked Geno for his advice/ opinion.

Second, assuming Geno knew, he and CD have already prepared a short list of candidates. As to the list proposed by the OP, I don't see any of those being candidates.

As to who the candidate may be, I have no idea. But as some have suggested, it may be time for a non-UConn assistant coach.

Pretty sure he gave a recommendation for her. No doubt this wasn't a surprise to the Uconn coaches.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Here are some out of the box names... Stephanie White? Holly Warlick?

Nykesha and Jen are interesting.

Caroline Doty would have been great. What about Mel Thomas? Ann Strother? Alana Beard? Lindsay Harding?

I'm sure there are some terrific young assistants in some of the mid-majors, or even high-majors who have done well lately. Schools like Missouri State, Gonzaga, FGCU - always do well and seem to recruit well. Maybe an asst from one of the Dakota's?

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Here's one that's out of the box:

Kristi Toliver. Plays PG (like Shea), won several WNBA championships with the Sparks and Mystics and was an assistant for the NBA Wizards. At the end of her career now, she might retire for a coaching opportunity like this. Perfect mentor for Paige, Evina and Nika.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

We need someone who can coach the guards. Sales would be a good choice.

Reaction Score
I don't know how passionate Rebecca Lobo is about being a Espn analyst, but I would like to see her coaching at the college level. With some experience, a year with CD to guide her into the HC slot seems like a good plan.

Reactions: mmt

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Here are some out of the box names... Stephanie White? Holly Warlick?

Caroline Doty would have been great. What about Mel Thomas? Ann Strother? Alana Beard? Lindsay Harding?

I'm sure there are some terrific young assistants in some of the mid-majors, or even high-majors who have done well lately. Schools like Missouri State, Gonzaga, FGCU - always do well and seem to recruit well. Maybe an asst from one of the Dakota's?
Holly Warlick?? Are you insane? She is the one responsible for the demise of the LVs program. MY GOD!!!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Do you pay any attention to college basketball? She was a tremendous assistant and an insane recruiter. Just an awful Head Coach. So no, I'm not insane, but thanks for playing!
Always happy to play

Reaction Score
I believe that Sales has gotten a text or call from Geno by now. Where is UCF going but nowhere. She would add another staff member that knows UConn basketball. And, can teach defense. Is Jen laying low or is she trying to find a head coaching job?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I don't see Rebecca, Sue, Diana getting into coaching at 40. It becomes your whole life. I do see Sue and Diana getting into ownership/management type roles. IMHO, Jen would be in a rehabilitation role, and not sure it's a fit for the program. Geno's had a lot of luck with long term consistency and commitment from his assistants - Tonya, Jamelle (the 1st time), Shea, and that's what makes a program successful.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suspect the phone is ringing in the Uconn WCBB office with various assistant coach/head coaches at lesser schools putting their names in the ring. And probably a few HC that are friends of Geno calling to put forward names as well. For example, I am pretty sure Marisa was not on any list until the job opening was announced when Cardoza left, but she quickly went to the top and was hired.

While I am sure CD and Geno have some names on a list already, this was not something they could actively pursue until Vandy made their choice - would have been very bad form to undercut Shea and Vandy by actively searching before the decision was made by both parties.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
While I am sure CD and Geno have some names on a list already, this was not something they could actively pursue until Vandy made their choice - would have been very bad form to undercut Shea and Vandy by actively searching before the decision was made by both parties.
Perhaps Geno & CD keep a list, aka, a draft succession plan, and actively watch coaching talent similar to recruits. Always want to be prepared, even if you don't need it now.

Reaction Score
Just like recruiting players, they know they have great assistants so they should always be watching and have assistant coach options in mind.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah, but with recruits you know when they will arrive - the timeline is fixed. With assistants, every year might be the year of an opening and every year those possibles have slightly different prospects and resumes. I doubt CD or Geno have 'active' lists, but they are constantly meeting coaches and assistants through the season, on the road at various viewing events, and at various coaching meetings. With 40 years in the business their contacts in the community of WBB are wide and varied.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned my friend Mel Thomas previously and I would love to see her coaching at UConn. But, she just became a mom so that might hold her back. But, others on a short list again would be MoJeff. Who wouldn't want her on your team teaching guards on how to play. Plus, she has an awesome attitude. Ashley Battle who I bet many didn't think would even play in the WNBA but did. NAN mentioned Kelly Faris. Another talent to have on your bench. Its to bad that Doty signed with Wisconsin but I always and admired her attitude. Then we have my UConn favorite in Sveta.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned my friend Mel Thomas previously and I would love to see her coaching at UConn. But, she just became a mom so that might hold her back. But, others on a short list again would be MoJeff. Who wouldn't want her on your team teaching guards on how to play. Plus, she has an awesome attitude. Ashley Battle who I bet many didn't think would even play in the WNBA but did. NAN mentioned Kelly Faris. Another talent to have on your bench. Its to bad that Doty signed with Wisconsin but I always and admired her attitude. Then we have my UConn favorite in Sveta.
I was thinking Faris also

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom