UConn OC Nick Charlton on T'N'T College Football Podcast | The Boneyard

UConn OC Nick Charlton on T'N'T College Football Podcast

Reaction Score
You can obviously tell the man was a head coach. He is very articulate, thoughtful, knowledgeable, and strategic. He will be a head coach again, sooner than later.

This was a great interview and a deep dive into how UConn envisions and markets itself, what most matters to the organization, and how they approach their business every day. Particularly interesting was his discussion, at a high level, about offensive schemes and their personnel.

It was an authentic and relatable interview. No doubt the man makes an impression when recruiting. Definitely worth the listen.

Reaction Score
to paraphrase: Here to win now, this is NOT a rebuild.
Installing schemes to make things hard early, so that they are easier come training camp.
Between scholarship & walk-ons, there are now 15 quality wide receivers for depth purposes. They all have to earn playing time, no one is guaranteed playing time.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to see a run rule. We’ve seen that before. I want them to call what’s working best. If it’s the run so be it, but I am sick and tired of run,run, pass, punt.
Listen to the podcast… if pressed for time start @ the 14:20 +/- mark and go to 19:00 +/-.

Reaction Score
Listen to the podcast… if pressed for time start @ the 14:20 +/- mark and go to 19:00 +/-.
I don’t want to see a run rule. We’ve seen that before. I want them to call what’s working best. If it’s the run so be it, but I am sick and tired of run,run, pass, punt.
That's not exactly what he was saying. But his point was in the northeast you need to run the ball and the statistics prove it out. Listen to the interview for the full nuance.

He is a West coast offense devotee, but builds plans to around the personnel he has and their strengths. His reasoning made a lot of sense.

Reaction Score

Yeah. That’s exactly what he didn’t say.

Reaction Score
Back in October or so before HCJM was hired, I made a list of 15 coachers I would like to see as HC at UConn. #1 was Moorhead, #4 was Charlton, and then #12 was Mora (low because of absence from coaching)

I'm so glad that the #4 guy on the list is out OC!!
This coaching staff is stacked. I am so happy for UConn football to have a staff that cares.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Just please lord no more run run pass. I don’t care if we get to 40 runs, you’re more likely to win with an efficient passing heavy offense.

Reaction Score
I have yet to hear why running the ball is more important in the northeast than anywhere else. Is there a technical reason for that? Time of possession keeps the D off the field longer?

Reaction Score
I have yet to hear why running the ball is more important in the northeast than anywhere else. Is there a technical reason for that? Time of possession keeps the D off the field longer?
I would assume it be due to possible weather conditions

Reaction Score
That's not exactly what he was saying. But his point was in the northeast you need to run the ball and the statistics prove it out. Listen to the interview for the full nuance.

He is a West coast offense devotee, but builds plans to around the personnel he has and their strengths. His reasoning made a lot of sense.
That run stat isn't what it seems. Teams that are winning, especially by a lot, tend to run out the clock in the second half and forth quarter. That ups their number of carries.

Teams that are behind in the latter stages of the game pass the ball more often because it stops the clock and extends the game. That reduces their number of carries.

So the run stat number is influenced by whether you team is ahead or behind. Better teams have better run stats. It's a lagging indicator.

BTW, weather is the reason that Northeast teams need to run the ball. When it's cold and windy, or snowy, it becomes more difficult to throw the football.

Reaction Score
That run stat isn't what it seems. Teams that are winning, especially by a lot, tend to run out the clock in the second half and forth quarter. That ups their number of carries.

Teams that are behind in the latter stages of the game pass the ball more often because it stops the clock and extends the game. That reduces their number of carries.

So the run stat number is influenced by whether you team is ahead or behind. Better teams have better run stats. It's a lagging indicator.

BTW, weather is the reason that Northeast teams need to run the ball. When it's cold and windy, or snowy, it becomes more difficult to throw the football.
The last sentence of that quote is telling as he is saying it not as number of runs they will definitely do but one where if they do would mean they have put up points and with the WR’s on the team they are definitely going to pass the ball

Reaction Score
Just please lord no more run run pass. I don’t care if we get to 40 runs, you’re more likely to win with an efficient passing heavy offense.
Go to 17:20 of the podcast for Charlton’s explanation of his offensive philosophy (he’s looking for closer to 50-50 pass/run depending on personnel).

Reaction Score
Go to 17:20 of the podcast for Charlton’s explanation of his offensive philosophy (he’s looking for closer to 50-50 pass/run depending on personnel).
Yeah, 50-50 is the ideal from the standpoint of maximizing defensive uncertainty. Of course, defenses are often better at defending one than the other and that will skew the offensive play calling to exploit whatever vulnerability presents itself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom