UConn moves up one spot in U. S. News rankings | The Boneyard

UConn moves up one spot in U. S. News rankings

Reaction Score
Florida State is a better school than UConn or Penn State, and University of Florida is a better school than Boston College or Georgia Tech. 2020 baby.

Reaction Score
Florida State is a better school than UConn or Penn State, and University of Florida is a better school than Boston College or Georgia Tech. 2020 baby.

Should have ended this stupidity with "change my mind."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Big HS population means plenty of graduates to choose and filter. Only top of class students get in to UF or FSU. Next tier goes to UCF, USF, FAU, etc.

Also doesn't hurt there is a lack of high quality private universities to siphen off top students. Duke, Vandy, Emory and U of Miami are the only legit top-50 schools within 300 miles of Florida border.

Reaction Score
Big HS population means plenty of graduates to choose and filter. Only top of class students get in to UF or FSU. Next tier goes to UCF, USF, FAU, etc.

Also doesn't hurt there is a lack of high quality private universities to siphen off top students. Duke, Vandy, Emory and U of Miami are the only legit top-50 schools within 300 miles of Florida border.

Friends in FL always put down Fla St as a "safe" school with poor academics. What happened and when?

Reaction Score

One factor that hurt UConn is that only 9% of Bachelor's degree holders donated in the last two years. That seems low to me but may be why our endowment is so much lower than schools like Cincinnati.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Big HS population means plenty of graduates to choose and filter. Only top of class students get in to UF or FSU.
But these kids come from Florida

Reaction Score
Always love when these rankings come out and seeing all the ignorance regarding how big state schools operate in the rest of the country from us UConn folk.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Friends in FL always put down Fla St as a "safe" school with poor academics. What happened and when?

I don't know and won't pretend to know the history of this. I do know UF has been a good to very good school for a while now. How and why FSU got good over past 20 is a bit of a mystery to me. Only thing I can think of is raw numbers of HS grads in the state mean only a certain few can get in to UF and FSU is the clear #2 public school in the state.

Some online searches show Florida having about 180k-190k HS grads. Only 8k-9k of them are getting in to UF. The rest have to go somewhere. Looks like FSU is doing better with getting sloppy seconds rather than HS students going out of state.

Reaction Score
One factor that hurt UConn is that only 9% of Bachelor's degree holders donated in the last two years. That seems low to me but may be why our endowment is so much lower than schools like Cincinnati.

Excuse me while I go off on a rant.

Don't know about others, but from my experience UConn's outreach to alumni over the years has been beyond pathetic. Since my own graduation, except for the alumni magazine, I have not been contacted in close to 50 years. My grad school, NYU, on the other hand has been in regular contact since graduation. Net result cumulative giving to NYU vastly exceeds that to UConn.

Reaction Score
Very hard to get into FSU these days. Not to get political, but the Florida universities are well-funded and arent overpaying staff. PS, I’m voting for Biden.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Very hard to get into FSU these days. Not to get political, but the Florida universities are well-funded and arent overpaying staff. PS, I’m voting for Biden.
Did you see the crowd at the FSU game? No braniacs there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any increase is better than dropping down in the US News rankings. Hopefully, the pandemic will not hurt UConn's 2022 ranking. Within a few years, I could see UConn in the top 15 state universities and perhaps in the top 50 national universities, private and public. I am sure the new president would like to see that too. Perhaps he could lead the school in that direction.

Reaction Score
Any increase is better than dropping down in the US News rankings. Hopefully, the pandemic will not hurt UConn's 2022 ranking. Within a few years, I could see UConn in the top 15 state universities and perhaps in the top 50 national universities, private and public. I am sure the new president would like to see that too. Perhaps he could lead the school in that direction.

It is probably safe to say that everyone here feels the same. The problem is that every other school in the country is trying to do the same thing. So it will come down to the resources at their disposal. In the past the state gave UConn a credit card to support upgrades and expansion. Will be interesting to see what the future brings.

Reaction Score
It is probably safe to say that everyone here feels the same. The problem is that every other school in the country is trying to do the same thing. So it will come down to the resources at their disposal. In the past the state gave UConn a credit card to support upgrades and expansion. Will be interesting to see what the future brings.
Good point John. But I suspect some schools, like Northeastern and Univ. of Florida, took some steps to push themselves up in the rankings, that did not completely relate to resource allocation. They may be shrewder than some other universities.

Reaction Score
Good point John. But I suspect some schools, like Northeastern and Univ. of Florida, took some steps to push themselves up in the rankings, that did not completely relate to resource allocation. They may be shrewder than some other universities.

From time to time you will see a story about some school that soars in the USNWR rating by tailoring their stats. Don't know if either NU or UF have played that game. I do know that in the case of UF the university and the state made a commitment to make it as 'elite' as they can. With FSU, South Florida and Central Florida among others as in state backups they have been going all out to channel more of the better applicants to UF. With the high school graduate numbers there continuing to rise they have been successful.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I’m no expert on this subject, but I remember reading finances are an important part of the rankings. Hopefully the state’s economy can improve and the government gets its budget issues resolved. Then it can continue to fund UConn as generously as it has over the last 20-25 years.

Reaction Score
I chose Stony Brook to get my second Bachelors. Those ranking make me feel good about my choice.

Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
From time to time you will see a story about some school that soars in the USNWR rating by tailoring their stats. Don't know if either NU or UF have played that game. I do know that in the case of UF the university and the state made a commitment to make it as 'elite' as they can. With FSU, South Florida and Central Florida among others as in state backups they have been going all out to channel more of the better applicants to UF. With the high school graduate numbers there continuing to rise they have been successful.

Every school does this to some extent, even the Ivies. These rankings while popular are little more than a aggregation of stats that have little to do with the slicing and dicing the quality of education to the extent you can have a definitive ranking.

A better way to look at it is how does a particular school fare in areas that are important to me.

The big number here is acceptance rate. Aot more people are applying to big public schools in warm weather states than they are in northeastern ones.

I also think these rankings are more important to top students that those in the middle, where such nuances won't make much of a difference. The top 1% at FSU will show just fine against the top 1% of most other schools. But if I'm looking at the bottom 30% percentile, they better be from a better school.

The old joke about what they call the guy who graduated last in med school, applies here.

Reaction Score
I see the Florida state universities are moving up in rankings. UConn should follow their example if possible,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom