UConn MHOC 2022-2023 Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn MHOC 2022-2023 Schedule

jho

Reaction Score
Cornell hockey has been playing at MSG on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend for several years. It’s a big alumni event. Every odd numbered year since 2007, they play in the “Red Hot Hockey” game vs BU. In recent years they’ve added “Frozen Apple Hockey” in even numbered years against opponents such as Michigan, Penn State, Harvard, New Hampshire and now, UConn. Typically, the event is announced around Labor Day when tickets go on sale.

Reaction Score
Cornell’s schedule has been released today and it includes a game at MSG on Saturday, November 26 @ 8:00 pm vs “TBA” (trust me, it’s UConn). Also, Frozen Fenway on Saturday, January 7 will be a doubleheader with UMass vs BC and UConn vs Northeastern.
This is turning into quite the Thanksgiving week for sports...UConn MBB/WBB out at PK85 starting on the Thursday, USA-England World Cup the Friday, this game on Sat, NFL/NBA/NHL all playing as well!

jho

Reaction Score

The schedule is front loaded with 9 games in October, 8 in November, 4 in December, 7 in January, only 4 in February and 2 against BC in March before the Hockey East playoffs. Probably only 4 or 5 games in the new arena. Cav will likely use two goalies early before riding the hot hand down the stretch.

Reaction Score
The schedule is front loaded with 9 games in October, 8 in November, 4 in December, 7 in January, only 4 in February and 2 against BC in March before the Hockey East playoffs. Probably only 4 or 5 games in the new arena. Cav will likely use two goalies early before riding the hot hand down the stretch.

Definitely an odd looking schedule with only the 4 games in February.

Reaction Score
"More information regarding home game venues and season tickets will be forthcoming. Current Men's Hockey season ticketholders will receive this information with their renewal notice on Friday, August 19. New season ticket buyers can purchase beginning Monday, September 29. Game times and dates are subject to change."

Reaction Score

I do this every year since I have season tix to 3 Uconn teams. Two conflict games will be Nov 4th -FB vs. Umass at home (7pm) and hockey vs. Maine at the XL, probably at the same time, on a Friday night. Also Nov 12 FB vs. Liberty (12 noon) on Saturday with Providence TBA (4pm ?), so it's manageable, at the XL. Here's a list I put together including known hoop dates so far and I've marked any games on the same date for the 3 sports. ( Did I miss anything ?)
1660650295059.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Spring semester begins on Jan 17. Will enough students return early to rock the barn?
Good question, that's the on campus myth. I've donated since the 90's ( pre -Freitas) and had season tix for years. It was always been a ghost town for any January games. And even when students where on campus ( with free admission) the small numbers that did show up would trickle in and out of the rink for a period or 2 like they have something better to do.

Hopefully because kiddies love shinny new things, this will become fashionable for them and we'll see the same small venue atmosphere take over, as down at Quinnipiac. The XL Center is way to big and as attendance has dipped it's became the same as Freitas used to be on too many nights, pre Hockey East. I'm really looking forward to see how Uconn schedules (50-50 at XL like with hoops - hopefully alot less ?) with a full fall schedule available for the new rink.

Being able to jam the new building up at the start of a season with a full campus should work wonders and hopefully make it, a hot go to, and huge momentum thing /home ice advantage, that Uconn Hockey hasn't really had.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
5 home games in October, 4 home games in November, a home game at XL on December 31st, and only 5 home games after winter break? That's.....rough.

Some of those home games in October are going to be pretty empty at XL.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Good question, that's the on campus myth. I've donated since the 90's ( pre -Freitas) and had season tix for years. It was always been a ghost town for any January games. And even when students where on campus ( with free admission) the small numbers that did show up would trickle in and out of the rink for a period or 2 like they have something better to do.

The school did not care about the program at all, why would the students? I wouldn't draw anything from those days. And I was one of the 7 students at the games (the other 6 were dating players).

Every game should be on campus. It won't be, because they're stupid, but they all should be.

Reaction Score
The school did not care about the program at all, why would the students? I wouldn't draw anything from those days. And I was one of the 7 students at the games (the other 6 were dating players).

Every game should be on campus. It won't be, because they're stupid, but they all should be.
OK, respect your feelings, but I've watched it with my own eyes. It's students in general not the school. And It's got worse, not better in the last 10 years. Because of social media, they can't get off their phones, etc., student interest in sports across the board has waned. Gone to a soccer game lately? The famed goal patrol and half the students clear out by halftime. Baseball and a brand new Elliot Ballpark? Never more than probably hundred or so students in the stands. Is that a myth ? and with free admission too. Evidently they've have better things to do, have a low attention span or probably a combination of both. I've had the conversation with 2 nephews who are recent graduates about this.

It seems like hoops with the constant scoring and because it's fashionable( when they're winning, forget the KO years) is the only thing that seems to keep the kiddies attention long enough to fill the building to the end. Hopefully hockey, as the new thing that is fashionable, becomes this too.

Though I agree for hockey as a niche sport and the XL Center being to damn cavernous, it's a bad look and I'd pass on the bad atmosphere too.

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
You should really stop talking down about the group that's paying more for all of this than almost anyone, the students.

If we had Netflix/social media/etc when you or I were in school, I GUARANTEE we'd be the exact same way. You give people more options in life, this is what happens.

If you want a better Goal Patrol, btw, be much better at soccer and have a remotely interesting schedule. Worked for 30 years!

Reaction Score
You should really stop talking down about the group that's paying more for all of this than almost anyone, the students.

If we had Netflix/social media/etc when you or I were in school, I GUARANTEE we'd be the exact same way. You give people more options in life, this is what happens.

If you want a better Goal Patrol, btw, be much better at soccer and have a remotely interesting schedule. Worked for 30 years!
LOL! Don't agree, but yep, it's the world we live in, so go ahead keep licking their egos ! ;)

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
LOL! Don't agree, but yep, it's the world we live in, so go ahead keep licking their egos ! ;)

...genuinely, what don't you agree with? Then paying more isn't a theory, it's an observable fact.

I don't mind if I'm "boosting their egos" when their generation is completely screwed. God forbid we gave them a break here.

zls44

Reaction Score
OK, respect your feelings, but I've watched it with my own eyes. It's students in general not the school. And It's got worse, not better in the last 10 years. Because of social media, they can't get off their phones, etc., student interest in sports across the board has waned. Gone to a soccer game lately? The famed goal patrol and half the students clear out by halftime. Baseball and a brand new Elliot Ballpark? Never more than probably hundred or so students in the stands. Is that a myth ? and with free admission too. Evidently they've have better things to do, have a low attention span or probably a combination of both. I've had the conversation with 2 nephews who are recent graduates about this..

Can you not see how incredibly condescending this sounds? You sound like a real jerk when you talk about groups of people this way.

Reaction Score
...genuinely, what don't you agree with? Then paying more isn't a theory, it's an observable fact.

I don't mind if I'm "boosting their egos" when their generation is completely screwed. God forbid we gave them a break here.
OK here goes......Give them a break ? How about the actual Uconn players that have busted their ass over the years ? I actually played in that old joke of an outdoor arena in the 80's and know the sacrifices that were made to keep this program going by the coaches and players ( alot of them I skated with elsewhere) when this program had nothing. The known joke back then during recruiting was a new rink is coming as guys came and left 4 years later with nada.

It's the reason that I've supported and donated to the players/hockey team only at Uconn for decades, until specified sports donations became mandatory. They've been busting their ass with none of the glory or facilities of alot other sports.

Because Lew Perkins didn't care about hockey, you think it's fair the front running students, should cold shoulder the program until everything is perfect ? How about supporting your fellow students when it's not fashionable? How about showing a little backbone for a bunch of players who never got a free ride for years but still put in the work. Or for some of them that still don't now or are on partial ?

We probably agree about more than you think because you were actually out there supporting the team by attending games as a student.
But the students need to be coddled and everything should be perfect for them to come out? Nope, I'll never think like that. I think like a player and respect what they put into it, not like a fan boy.

Plus everything on campus ? ....I'd hate to see you losing your job as the Ice Bus director, but I'm sure you'd make the sacrifice. ;)

Last edited:

zls44

Reaction Score
Because Lew Perkins didn't care about hockey, you think it's fair the front running students, should cold shoulder the program until everything is perfect ? How about supporting your fellow students when it's not fashionable? How about showing a little backbone for a bunch of players who never got a free ride for years but still put in the work. Or for some of them that still don't now or are on partial ?
95% of them didn't even realize we had a team! Think about it- no promotion, rink was on the outskirts of campus and outside. How were they supposed to know or find out about the team...magic? This isn't going over the top in the Somme, it's a freaking hockey team. You weren't digging trenches, you were playing Babson and Salem State.

The student fees pay for an overwhelming percentage of the programs existence. You shouldn't be criticizing those students- if not for their fees, there wouldn't have been a program. Not even when you were skating laps by the warming hut.

You worked hard and didn't have a scholarship but make no mistake: the students pay for this program. They always have.

The best thing the program could ever do is have a REAL on campus arena and never play in Hartford. That's what real programs do. The Icebus would be packed. I'd have ten assistants.

Instead we get a shed with a bench and told this is the best we can do. A lie.

Reaction Score
The best thing the program could ever do is have a REAL on campus arena and never play in Hartford. That's what real programs do. The Icebus would be packed. I'd have ten assistants.

Instead we get a shed with a bench and told this is the best we can do. A lie.
That's a whole different story regarding no pro teams in state and Uconn's fanbase being cultivated statewide for 50 years like with hoops, not some private Boston school with 5 teams in the same zip code. But I regress and I'm not saying it wasn't overdue.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom