UConn makes a strong statement | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn makes a strong statement

Reaction Score
Yes it is science based fact, however I cannot comment beyond that. When I retired from my research position last year, I signed several non-disclosure agreements.
Your prior comments appeared to indicate direct knowledge of new science-based research specifically confirming cold temps suppress the new SARS-2 virus. Noting the Wuhan Municipal and CCP National Health Commissions purportedly only identified the new viral strain 12/31/19 (post-NDA?), peer-reviewed research still does not appear to exist specifically confirming cold temps suppressed SARS-2 in Iran, Japan, Tri-state, MI, MA nor in the supposed origin location. Ideally, time, funds, and respected research limits conjecture and produces both effective, safe treatments and potentially eventual safe effective vaccines.

Reaction Score
They'll be underpaid semi-pro players... how long with that be sustainable?

Underpaid?!? They have a full scholarship to a major university. They have room and board and meals. So tell the "underpaid" story to those students who have to work to put themselves through school, or mom's and dad's that sacrifice to put their kids through school, or college graduates that now must pay back student loans. Underpaid semi-pro players. What nonsense.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Underpaid?!?
So ruthlessly underpaid a zillion kids a year do whatever they can to get a scholarship. Literally anything and everything. Many do an extra year of high school!

Reaction Score
So ruthlessly underpaid a zillion kids a year do whatever they can to get a scholarship. Literally anything and everything. Many do an extra year of high school!
I don't get this argument. Every CFB player wants to play in the NFL. Only a fraction are good enough. NFL players are always negotiating for a bigger slice of the revenue pie.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't get this argument. Every CFB player wants to play in the NFL. Only a fraction are good enough. NFL players are always negotiating for a bigger slice of the revenue pie.

My point is that the "exploited" argument is overstated. The kids aren't exploited. If they were truly exploited we there wouldn't be near the depth of interest in obtaining a scholarship that we witness.

NFL is mission driven, to make a profit. Universities run sports largely for marketing purposes. Sure the kids can ask for things, but the entire situation is really nothing like the NFL or any other pro league. The universities don't exist to make a profit, they exist to provide education. Folding up sports if the student athlete demands are too high is actually an easy choice. For pro leagues its not a choice.

Reaction Score
My point is that the "exploited" argument is overstated. The kids aren't exploited. If they were truly exploited we there wouldn't be near the depth of interest in obtaining a scholarship that we witness.

NFL is mission driven, to make a profit. Universities run sports largely for marketing purposes. Sure the kids can ask for things, but the entire situation is really nothing like the NFL or any other pro league. The universities don't exist to make a profit, they exist to provide education. Folding up sports if the student athlete demands are too high is actually an easy choice. For pro leagues its not a choice.
Dude you really think Texas and Alabama are walking away from this money because UConn and North Texas Football players? This will likely just lead to break away of the top revenue producing athletic programs before they "close shop".

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dude you really think Texas and Alabama are walking away from this money because UConn and North Texas Football players? This will likely just lead to break away of the top revenue producing athletic programs before they "close shop".

What’s your point because I never said that. What am saying is that as football student athletes rock the boat for money they might be surprised at the final outcome; more schools quit FBS and it’s headaches. Or some programs end up with cancel games over walk outs and lock outs.

Reaction Score
How about a Northeast rotation of scrimmage games, all games within driving distance. UConn, UMass, BC, Rutgers, Army, Buffalo, Syracuse.

Reaction Score
What’s your point because I never said that. What am saying is that as football student athletes rock the boat for money they might be surprised at the final outcome; more schools quit FBS and it’s headaches. Or some programs end up with cancel games over walk outs and lock outs.
Well no one here said exploited either. My only point is that it doesn't matter that millions of HS kids want college scholarships like it doesn't matter that thousands of college players want to play in the NFL. The number of HS kids that want college scholarships shouldn't factor into whether the kids that bring in the most should get paid or not.

I know its not easy to do, but people namely coaches and administrators are making 7 figures from the game. So it's difficult to argue they shouldn't be getting a slice of the pie. I'm not arguing they should or shouldn't but these kids know they're bringing in money and want some in addition to the scholarship a golf player or swimmer may get.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well no one here said exploited either. My only point is that it doesn't matter that millions of HS kids want college scholarships like it doesn't matter that thousands of college players want to play in the NFL. The number of HS kids that want college scholarships shouldn't factor into whether the kids that bring in the most should get paid or not.

I know its not easy to do, but people namely coaches and administrators are making 7 figures from the game. So it's difficult to argue they shouldn't be getting a slice of the pie. I'm not arguing they should or shouldn't but these kids know they're bringing in money and want some in addition to the scholarship a golf player or swimmer may get.
If you look at all my posts I have been consistently stating for a long while now that the NCAA needs to immediately end the prohibition on player endorsement income. All student athletes should be able to enter to any compensation contracts of any kind as long as said contract does not use school logos or conduct business on school grounds and/or require the student athlete to compromise their sportsmanship (ie contract to suck). Probably should prohibit endorsements/comp from certain industries like gambling as well.

Anyway- let the kids find whatever endorsement income they can as long as they report it. Not fair to limit this opportunity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about a Northeast rotation of scrimmage games, all games within driving distance. UConn, UMass, BC, Rutgers, Army, Buffalo, Syracuse.
How is a scrimmage any safer than a game? That was a stupid statement. Having said that your idea is a good one (i.e., regional competition that reduces travel and doesn't require quarantining). But please, can the teams wear game uniforms, not permit coaches to stand behind the huddles, permit tackling of QB's and star RB's - like a real game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How is a scrimmage any safer than a game? That was a stupid statement. Having said that your idea is a good one (i.e., regional competition that reduces travel and doesn't require quarantining). But please, can the teams wear game uniforms, not permit coaches to stand behind the huddles, permit tackling of QB's and star RB's - like a real game.

Everyone knows that the Virus knows that scrimmages don't count.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows that the Virus knows that scrimmages don't count.
Oh like it knew the difference between people protesting the endless Covid lockdowns (bad gatherings that promoted spread of Covid) and the protests that were destroying cities and injuring people ( gatherings blessed by the Corona Virus.).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Oh like it knew the difference between people protesting the endless Covid lockdowns (bad gatherings that promoted spread of Covid) and the protests that were destroying cities and injuring people ( gatherings blessed by the Corona Virus.).
I don't know anything about that. Scrimmages are practice games (trying to keep the thread out of the cesspool.). ;)

Reaction Score
TU65 said:
Correct!! All this over-the-top concern for the health of these young men is actually nauseating. The reason why we are not playing this season comes down to dollars. Paying for the tests and the other monitoring and precautions costs dollars, losing P5 games costs dollars, finding teams to play may cost dollars, etc., etc. As the previous poster mentioned, simply question that cuts through all the crap, if we were in the B1G, ACC of even the AAC would we be canceling the season? Easy answer to that question, of course not. What was the administration's reason for not canceling the other fall sports, it had nothing to do with the physical nature of football or anything related to the actual games, the answer was that it was a BE call. Let's just hope they don't use COVID as an excuse to downgrade or eliminate the program. Does anybody honestly think this administration is above hiding behind COVID to make that type of decision?

Aging like fine wine. ACC Dr. just cleared the way for football in the fall, B1G teams like Nebraska, Iowa, and Penn State threatening to play in another conference, SEC, Big 12 and even the AAC still plan on playing. Oh yes, UMass quit, hard to believe. So now the administration has us in the company of UMass, ODU, and the MAC, what more needs to be said.
The Duke doc said extremely difficult and extremely expensive. But yeah if all the stars are aligned.

Reaction Score
My statement was stupid while being a good idea. OK.

Scrimmage games don't have all the fans, media, etc. Of course there is still potential for members of one team to infect members of the other team but actual games are far greater events than scrimmage games. And because they are scrimmages, players who have symptoms and want to play in a regular season game could sit out the scrimmage and know they are just missing a practice. Big, obvious differences.

Reaction Score
TU65 said:
Correct!! All this over-the-top concern for the health of these young men is actually nauseating. The reason why we are not playing this season comes down to dollars. Paying for the tests and the other monitoring and precautions costs dollars, losing P5 games costs dollars, finding teams to play may cost dollars, etc., etc. As the previous poster mentioned, simply question that cuts through all the crap, if we were in the B1G, ACC of even the AAC would we be canceling the season? Easy answer to that question, of course not. What was the administration's reason for not canceling the other fall sports, it had nothing to do with the physical nature of football or anything related to the actual games, the answer was that it was a BE call. Let's just hope they don't use COVID as an excuse to downgrade or eliminate the program. Does anybody honestly think this administration is above hiding behind COVID to make that type of decision?

Aging like fine wine. ACC Dr. just cleared the way for football in the fall, B1G teams like Nebraska, Iowa, and Penn State threatening to play in another conference, SEC, Big 12 and even the AAC still plan on playing. Oh yes, UMass quit, hard to believe. So now the administration has us in the company of UMass, ODU, and the MAC, what more needs to be said.
Didn’t it also put us in the company of Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Oregon, etc.? I’ll take that company.

Reaction Score
My statement was stupid while being a good idea. OK.

Scrimmage games don't have all the fans, media, etc. Of course there is still potential for members of one team to infect members of the other team but actual games are far greater events than scrimmage games. And because they are scrimmages, players who have symptoms and want to play in a regular season game could sit out the scrimmage and know they are just missing a practice. Big, obvious differences.
So better that a player get Covid - or a career ending injury - in a scrimmage? You had a good idea, but let those contests be actual games - not scrimmages.

Reaction Score
So better that a player get Covid - or a career ending injury - in a scrimmage? You had a good idea, but let those contests be actual games - not scrimmages.
That works too. I just don't know if they could logistically or legally play them as actual games given the time frame and confusion right now. If possible, let the games count.

Husky25

Reaction Score
TU65 said:
Correct!! All this over-the-top concern for the health of these young men is actually nauseating. The reason why we are not playing this season comes down to dollars.
I have a different theory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom