UConn- lineup & thoughts | The Boneyard

UConn- lineup & thoughts

Reaction Score
Once Bouknight is back, hopefully next game the lineup needs to be Bouknight, Jackson, Tyrese, Sanogo and either Cole or Gaff. I'm leaning Gaff, it's always been about confidence with him. He has to know how good he is after today.

This was by far the best version of Seton Hall, we simply caught them at the wrong time where they are fully healthy with Aiken back and healthy and Cale playing the best ball of his career it makes them a completely different team and the whole team shot the best they ever have. You simply can't spot a team like that a 17 point lead. Covid interruptions and injuries have decimated us but now is the time things should finally click.

Jackson completely turned that game around from being a blowout. He's going to be the best athlete on the court no matter who he's playing against and he's by far our best passer, Sanogo must love him. He was running the offense for a while and threw most of the best passes we've had all season, his vision and instincts are on another level and he was also hounding people on D.

The pieces are all there now once Bouknight comes back and Hurley has to get out of his conservative/stubborn mentality cutting Adams minutes way down and playing Jackson and Sanogo 30 minutes per game. Coach still needs to be a lot better about his in game feel for what's happening, he's about to have the pieces.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I put on another thread.

Gaff, Bouk, Jax, Whaley and Sanogo.

I like Whaley over Martin in this lineup.

With Jax and Bouk, Gaff can take the third perimeter option on D. Let Jax choke off the point and Boil take the second best peter player.

Love Sanogo in the post and his rebounding. Someone has to protect the rim and that is Whaley.

Reaction Score
I put on another thread.

With Jax and Bouk, Gaff can take the third perimeter option on D. Let Jax choke off the point and Boil take the second best peter player.

Love Sanogo in the post and his rebounding. Someone has to protect the rim and that is Whaley.
I thought I put Whaley in my starting lineup, of course he needs to start. My bad.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I thought I put Whaley in my starting lineup, of course he needs to start. My bad.

Whaley hit a 12' baseline shot towards end of game on a catch and shoot.

Also, earlier in second half Whaley caught ball on left wing and squared up for a 3. He froze the defender allowing Whaley to pass to Adams in the corner for a 3.

Those are types of plays allowing me to want to see Whaley at high post and wing leaving room for Sanogo inside.

Reaction Score
Playing PC you can get away with

Gaff, Bouk, Jackson, Martin, Whaley.

Reaction Score
Gaffney (because I just always liked him), Bouk, Martin, Whaley and Sanogo.

Jackson only has to wait half a year to start, but he would replace Polley as first one off the bench.

Reaction Score
Let me just play devils advocate here...

our defense was pretty abysmal today. Allowed easy passes, easy driving lanes, soft double teams...and most importantly, allowed Mamu to catch the ball wherever and whenever he desired.that’s controlled by ball hawking guard defense, which doesn’t allow for them to sit and wait for mamu to post.

work in progress for sure. But they straight up bodied us today in the back court, plain and simple.

Reaction Score

Also, earlier in second half Whaley caught ball on left wing and squared up for a 3. He froze the defender allowing Whaley to pass to Adams in the corner for a 3.

Those are types of plays allowing me to want to see Whaley at high post and wing leaving room for Sanogo inside.
We're so close to being great. In a non-Covid season with no injuries I legti think we would have final 4 type talent. It'a unlikely we get to where we could've been because of all that went down but there's still time for a run with Bouknight coming back. Hurley has to be better at using all his weapons but it's a tough job with all the Covid cr@p and injuries. They are much better than I thought they would be with losing so much to Covid and injuries. Beginning of the season we looked like we had a top 5 player in the country and a bunch of guys standing around. There's still time but Hurley has to figure it out.

Reaction Score
It’s been really tough for Polley after his 3 breakout games. I suspect his role and shooting becomes more important and gets back on track when Bouk comes back - he gives us the ability to spread the floor and guys can’t drape themselves all over him and give James the lane that easy

Reaction Score
It’s been really tough for Polley after his 3 breakout games. I suspect his role and shooting becomes more important and gets back on track when Bouk comes back - he gives us the ability to spread the floor and guys can’t drape themselves all over him and give James the lane that easy
Agreed, excellent shooter when open which Bouknight and Jackson should be able to provide for him but he's pretty much unplayable without getting open looks. He should be an instant offense three point shooter off the bench when Bouk comes back.

Reaction Score
I put on another thread.

Love this lineup.Excellent speed with JB/AJ/JG. Wish the refs would let Sanogo play a little bit more.Seems like they're calling him on some BS calls almost as if they're anticipating more contact than what actually happens. Like that call in the corner on Aiken.

Reaction Score
It's a very clear 8 man rotation going forward.

Bouk, Whaley, Martin, Jackson, Gaffney, Cole, Sanogo, Polley.

And I think in that order, IMO. Can play hot hand with Gaffney/Cole and more Sanogo in certain matchups.

Reaction Score
Once Bouknight is back, hopefully next game the lineup needs to be Bouknight, Jackson, Tyrese, Sanogo and either Cole or Gaff. I'm leaning Gaff, it's always been about confidence with him. He has to know how good he is after today.

This was by far the best version of Seton Hall, we simply caught them at the wrong time where they are fully healthy with Aiken back and healthy and Cale playing the best ball of his career it makes them a completely different team and the whole team shot the best they ever have. You simply can't spot a team like that a 17 point lead. Covid interruptions and injuries have decimated us but now is the time things should finally click.

Jackson completely turned that game around from being a blowout. He's going to be the best athlete on the court no matter who he's playing against and he's by far our best passer, Sanogo must love him. He was running the offense for a while and threw most of the best passes we've had all season, his vision and instincts are on another level and he was also hounding people on D.

The pieces are all there now once Bouknight comes back and Hurley has to get out of his conservative/stubborn mentality cutting Adams minutes way down and playing Jackson and Sanogo 30 minutes per game. Coach still needs to be a lot better about his in game feel for what's happening, he's about to have the pieces.
I couldn’t of said it better myself - you took the words right out of my mouth with every single thing you said -thank you for saving me three minutes of texting. The run begins Wednesday at 4.

Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh benefits from spacing on the floor as opposed to creating his own open shots/separation with his foot speed. Doesn't have the moving without the ball DNA of Rip or Ray. Relies on his teammates to "find" him .

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I put on another thread.

The couple of games I have seen Whaley give up too many open looks. Again today, multiple times. Looks to pass 99% of the time. I like Whaley but he has to kick in with some points. He gets the ball at the top of the key 3 point line. Nobody near him, sets, aims and then looks around to pass. Martin has been rebounding and scores. Sonogo is playing great.

Reaction Score
We're so close to being great. In a non-Covid season with no injuries I legti think we would have final 4 type talent. It'a unlikely we get to where we could've been because of all that went down but there's still time for a run with Bouknight coming back. Hurley has to be better at using all his weapons but it's a tough job with all the Covid cr@p and injuries. They are much better than I thought they would be with losing so much to Covid and injuries. Beginning of the season we looked like we had a top 5 player in the country and a bunch of guys standing around. There's still time but Hurley has to figure it out.
My buddy and I just looked at a betting site. UConn is +5000 to win the tournament -great great odds. I’m telling you with the covid stops and starts we’ve had and the injuries and the fact that were getting a potential player of the year candidate back in next 1 or 2 games -In addition to the emergence of Jackson and Gaffney today and sanogo improving - don’t be surprised if this team makes a very deep run in the tourney. I’m not even mad about the loss today cause I know we’re gonna rock them we we play them again / Cool thing is , no one really knows about this squad except people that follow them. I like our odds against anybody in the tourney. just don’t want to see Baylor or Gonzaga till deep in

Reaction Score

DH has mentioned in interviews that the quicker/more proficient IW becomes in that spot-The more explosive and dangerous we are as an offense.

With JG/AJ/JB spreading the floor IW could really be effective in that spot. Dump it down to the Big Man for an occasional jump hook/dunk.

Reaction Score
The couple of games I have seen Whaley give up too many open looks. Again today, multiple times. Looks to pass 99% of the time. I like Whaley but he has to kick in with some points. He gets the ball at the top of the key 3 point line. Nobody near him, sets, aims and then looks around to pass. Martin has been rebounding and scores. Sonogo is playing great.
I totally agree that Whaley is passing up many open shots as many on this team do. There is to much guard dribbling and late shot clock looking to drive. Look at the low number of assists this team posts. We also need Polly to get in the middle for a quick 2 point jumper or pass to a big for a lay up. This would draw out the defense some for others to drive. Our three point shoot is suspect so we have to find other ways to score. Martin could also be this player and could drive if covered. Let involve more players inside the key!

Reaction Score
We have a coach making 3 million a year who should be able to put a successful lineup together that doesn’t leave the team in a hole out of the gate. He can recruit but this part is important too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a very clear 8 man rotation going forward.

Bouk, Whaley, Martin, Jackson, Gaffney, Cole, Sanogo, Polley.

And I think in that order, IMO. Can play hot hand with Gaffney/Cole and more Sanogo in certain matchups.

I’d have Polley out of the rotation unless we need a late 3. He’s a major liability on defense and for rebounding. He has a weak handle and isn’t a good passer. I’d rather see Adams and Carlton as the situation requires. Once Bouk is back, I’m not worried about shooting. Gaffney looks better and showed deep range. Cole can shoot. Martin can shoot. Jackson even hit his one try. We win with defense and rebounding. Sanogo needs a lot of minutes, so does Martin.

Our one big lineups have generally not fared well, because Hurley insists on having the 5 hard hedge. Akok helped there because he could cover the rim. Maybe Jackson can bring that shot-blocking. Nobody else can and we get burned by vacating the lane.

Reaction Score
I think the guards might shoot better in a more uptempo game than this plodding slow motion offense we are using, when it was successful we had either Kemba, Boat, or Shabazz taking it to the hoop fearlessly

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This thread wore well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom