UConn is for real | The Boneyard

UConn is for real

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Get ready America. UConn is young, with no seniors. Paige is NPOY and NFOY and you know what. UConn has a player comin in next season who is suppose to be better then Paige and thats Azzi Fudd. If thats true UConn may no loose another game for 4-5 years. I mentioned in another thread UConn is peaking. The defense is suffocating and the last 3 teams theyve played in the BE tourney had problems scoring 40 pts. The is Real Folks.

This tournament was a massacre. Opponents that were good didnt have a chance. They were hit hard and the hitting never let up. A surprise attack. UConn is playing at a level that no other team in WCBB can match.

Paige is NPOY and NFOY. If you dont think so take Paige off UConn and where are they???? Even better put Paige on any of the top 10 teams and tell me they wont be a top 4 team in WCBB and for the top 5 teams they could be number 1. She does so much more then any other player in America its mind boggleing. This team has energy, intensity, confidence, a winning attitude and guts. Summerthing Suffocating defense and relentlessness. If they get any better then they are now and they will next year, but for the NCAA tourney if they get any better "turn out the lights".

Reaction Score
Get ready America. UConn is young, with no seniors. Paige is NPOY and NFOY and you know what. UConn has a player comin in next season who is suppose to be better then Paige and thats Azzi Fudd. If thats true UConn may no loose another game for 4-5 years. I mentioned in another thread UConn is peaking. The defense is suffocating and the last 3 teams theyve played in the BE tourney had problems scoring 40 pts. The is Real Folks.

This tournament was a massacre. Opponents that were good didnt have a chance. They were hit hard and the hitting never let up. A surprise attack. UConn is playing at a level that no other team in WCBB can match.

Paige is NPOY and NFOY. If you dont think so take Paige off UConn and where are they???? Even better put Paige on any of the top 10 teams and tell me they wont be a top 4 team in WCBB and for the top 5 teams they could be number 1. She does so much more then any other player in America its mind boggleing. This team has energy, intensity, confidence, a winning attitude and guts. Summerthing Suffocating defense and relentlessness. If they get any better then they are now and they will next year, but for the NCAA tourney if they get any better "turn out the lights".
Keep in mind UConn is relatively untested. We are 2-1 against quality non-conference teams. The truth is we have no idea how really good the team is.

Reaction Score
The team struggled against Marquette on Monday, March 1, but after having a couple of days to rest and recuperate, the Huskies played three respectable opponents in the tournament and the team is NCAA ready. The squad looked extremely good and well deserving of a no. 1 seed.

We saw good things over the course of three days. At the end of the first quarter, I thought that Christyn Williams deserved the MVP honor, but she missed shots thereafter, although playing excellent defense against Salena Lott. Who else, therefore, but the incomparable Paige Bueckers for MVP despite 6 turnovers. Olivia Nelson-Odoba had a good tournament, but was this a reflection of improvement or a size advantage? Nika Mühl hasn’t gotten a lot of love from the Boneyard until she got hurt on Friday. She has been a favorite of mine all season and to say the least she has grit. It will be hard to remove her from the starting lineup next season. Geno loves her for her aggressiveness and toughness. It was good to see Anna Makurat back on the court again. She didn’t do that much, but that is ok, she now has close to two weeks to get back into playing shape, will be part of an eight player rotation for the tournament, and can give breaks to Williams and Westbrook.

We now await a week to find out the brackets. I expect that Stanford may all get the top seed in the tournament based upon the reputation of the PAC. They are a real good team with depth. The two other teams that most concern me are Baylor and South Carolina. The Huskies may draw Baylor in its bracket. Haven’t seen Texas A & M enough to evaluate them, but UConn wouldn’t have to face that team until the FF.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA committee puts the brackets together. If it wants good matchups that will play well on TV, then it should consider having South Carolina be in the same bracket as Texas so the two best centers in college might play each other and it would be great game to watch. Likewise in the UConn bracket, why not have UConn be on track to play both Iowa and Louisville and thus the three best freshmen guards in the country would have the opportunity to play one another. In addition, it would be interesting to see the Huskies play either Tennessee or Arkansas in the Sweet Sixteen. I’m sure that there are a number of other intriguing matchups that could be scheduled providing the cards fall in the right direction.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA committee puts the brackets together. If it wants good matchups that will play well on TV, then it should consider having South Carolina be in the same bracket as Texas so the two best centers in college might play each other and it would be great game to watch. Likewise in the UConn bracket, why not have UConn be on track to play both Iowa and Louisville and thus the three best freshmen guards in the country would have the opportunity to play one another. In addition, it would be interesting to see the Huskies play either Tennessee or Arkansas in the Sweet Sixteen. I’m sure that there are a number of other intriguing matchups that could be scheduled providing the cards fall in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I’m a long time UCONN fan and I don’t see what most are seeing. I watched quite a lot of the SEC this season and some of the PAC 12 and, of course, all the UCONN games. There is a big difference at the top end of these conferences. So, here’s my take. UCONN will play Big East caliber teams in the first 2 rounds and sleepwalk to the Elite Eight. But, if they play like they did against St John’s and last night, they go no further. Mistakes, turnovers and stretches of lack of focus like we saw after the first quarter last night don’t matter in the BIG East because UCONN wins by 30 anyway against this level of competition. But, it will end their season sooner than we hope if it continues. The other top teams play hard 4 quarters to earn their seed. That will help them in the tourney. UCONN plays a half...no pressure, no paying for the mistakes. This will hurt them.

I’m glad to see CW step up her game. She will be a critical part of winning close games. EW too. As good as the freshmen are, we can’t just rely on them in pressure situations that they have never experienced.

Reaction Score
As a new follower of UConn, so may I ask where are our seniors? I suppose there is incoming players for every year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As a new follower of UConn, so may I ask where are our seniors? I suppose there is incoming players for every year.
There was an incoming class of four. Three transferred, and the last, Megan Walker, entered the WNBA draft after her junior year.

Reaction Score
There was an incoming class of four. Three transferred, and the last, Megan Walker, entered the WNBA draft after her junior year.
I see. Those three may lose a chance to get NC.

Reaction Score
Azzi may have at one point been the better player, and may one day be that player. But it’s hard to make those assumptions when she is coming off a major injury and has never played college basketball. If she can perform similarly to KML as a freshman, Uconn could run the table next year. Assuming she also lives up to the hype, uconn will have a stellar backcourt. And guards are usually the key to a championship run.

Reaction Score
UConn has a player comin in next season who is suppose to be better then Paige and thats Azzi Fudd.
I would say a qualifying "no" to this statement. To me they are complimentary players, Azzi being a tremendous outside shooter with a powerful move to the basket. Paige is wondrous of course with her entire game, her passing and body control seems second to none. Plus they both have that unselfish winning attitude, a trait which makes them contagious to coaches and fellow players alike. With Nika in the mix, it may very well be a basket of riches we many never see again.

Reaction Score
I would say a qualifying "no" to this statement. To me they are complimentary players, Azzi being a tremendous outside shooter with a powerful move to the basket. Paige is wondrous of course with her entire game, her passing and body control seems second to none. Plus they both have that unselfish winning attitude, a trait which makes them contagious to coaches and fellow players alike. With Nika in the mix, it may very well be a basket of riches we many never see again.
I agree. Fudd will be an outstanding college player. But Bueckers has one advantage that Fudd will not overcome nor need to. Her almost preternatural ability to see the game one play before anyone else and move her offensive teammates around like chess pieces. Nobody in the college game does it like she does. And maybe only one pro, S. Bird.

Reaction Score
I agree. Fudd will be an outstanding college player. But Bueckers has one advantage that Fudd will not overcome nor need to. Her almost preternatural ability to see the game one play before anyone else and move her offensive teammates around like chess pieces. Nobody in the college game does it like she does. And maybe only one pro, S. Bird.

I don't agree with the tone of this at all. Not saying she is going to be better than Paige or whatever but to suggest that "we know" she won't I think just being a bit scared.-- Just like with Paige - she was underrated on here - let's not do the same with Azzi. For example what I see - it seems to me Azzi is also a terrific passer. I think sometimes as husky fans - we don't want to appear too arrogant so we bend over backwards to be cautious. UCONN fans are awesome we're a big-time hoop sate but for example this year at this moment we're number 1 in the country and yet it seems many on here for the last few weeks keep trying to pick apart the number 1 team with the best coach in wcbb history.

As for Azzi- let's celebrate that she is going to be a beast with an outlook that she could potentially be "more." Look at the vid below at the 3:23 mark. Azzi is going against a nationally rated, athletic h/s team. They double her 25+ feet from the basket. She changes pace on her dribble and creates separation from the 2 only to meet up with a 3rd player and a 4th about to come over and help at around the 3:26 mark. That's four players - from a nationally ranked team looking to bottle her up.
The 3rd player, a taller player, Azzi jukes her at the 3:26 mark and here comes the 4th player - another taller player - comes up to challenge her. And at 3:27/3:28 she calmly pulls up to knock down a mid-range jumper.

She took 8 dribbles from one side of the court to the other and beat 3-4 players on a nationally rated team with a smooth mid-range jumper.

She ends up scoring 20 of her team's 38 points in which they won.
Let's not be shy about this.

26​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watching the video, there no denying that 's got game!!!! Much like PB, GREAT passer and shooter!! Another phenom!!!

Reaction Score
@Tonyc -

If not mistaken, UConn is on 14 game win streak. If UConn wins NC, streak would be 20. Fudd, Ducharme, and DeBerry arrive next season. Do you have one of your optimist predictions for UConn's next big win streak?

We're doomed.
;)

Reaction Score
Being honest, the 2017 and 2018 UConn teams were good enough to win the NC. Some things just didn't go their way in the games that were in the FF. The 19 and 20 versions were both excellent but had some weaknesses that stood out when playing some other top teams.

This team seems to possess what the last four teams were lacking. 17 and 18 were hampered by a lack of depth. 19 and 20 could never seem to get all their weapons going in the same game. PB is better than any player on those teams (apologies to Williams, Collier, KLS, Nurse and Danger). She's the engine that makes the team go. Plus this team has depth that was sorely lacking and Westbrook has proven to be a wonderful glue player.

The Huskies will be tough to beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom