UConn Interim President Andrew Agwunobi to Depart for Private Sector | The Boneyard

UConn Interim President Andrew Agwunobi to Depart for Private Sector

Reaction Score

UConn Interim President Andrew Agwunobi to Depart for Private Sector​

UConn VP for Research Radenka Maric will serve as Interim President. Board will look for permanent president. What does it means for football and UConn sports?

Reaction Score
It seems the mindset of the board and the governor is to support football. My guess is the new president will too or he/she wont be hired. Mora is hiring up a storm.

Reaction Score

UConn Interim President Andrew Agwunobi to Depart for Private Sector​

UConn VP for Research Radenka Maric will serve as Interim President. Board will look for permanent president. What does it means for football and UConn sports?
It means to BoT is going to install another one of their puppets so they can maximize their profits at the expense of the students and state.

Reaction Score
Should we demand that UConn FB and other teams are top priority in the next administration? I want to see a commitment to getting us into a P5 conference.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Mora has Ned's ear. That's what really matters to us right now, and whoever the new president is will have to go along with it.

Reaction Score
Should we demand that UConn FB and other teams are top priority in the next administration? I want to see a commitment to getting us into a P5 conference.
I think we need to see someone like TomKat that has a total vision of the university. TomKat was focused on not only improving the academics, but also student life, tuition cost and athletics. He had a vision which the BoT torpedoed because it was costing them money. So he left. We need another TomKat.

Reaction Score
I think we need to see someone like TomKat that has a total vision of the university. TomKat was focused on not only improving the academics, but also student life, tuition cost and athletics. He had a vision which the BoT torpedoed because it was costing them money. So he left. We need another TomKat.
and we need new trustees that share this perspective

Reaction Score
Demand all you want, maybe even stamp your feet, but it won’t change the fact that UConn isn’t getting an invite to the P5. That ship has sailed. UConn needs to focus on making the best of what they have in the Big East and as an Independent in football and stop coveting what our neighbors have. If UConn does that then they will be alright.

Reaction Score
Headed to the private sector (Humana). This cannot be good. Your thoughts?

Reaction Score
"With Agwunobi stepping down, UConn is expected to name Radenka Maric, the Vice President for Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship as the interim president at the next Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 26. Maric will become the second female president in the school’s history, joining Susan Herbst, who served as president from 2011-19."

bus190314_radenka_maric-19.jpg

Reaction Score
Headed to the private sector (Humana). This cannot be good. Your thoughts?
It doesn't have to be bad. Time will tell. The most important thing at this point is our performance on the field/court and the rebuilding of our reputation and value. One could argue that the next President will be more focused on the AD than his/her predecessors.

Reaction Score
Not good. I get the private sector switch and the money must be off the charts. But I do not like the instability here. If you are going to promote someone to interim, then they should be a lifer. The school needs to hire a president Who can lead and manage the entire system.

So much turnover is not good.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not good. I get the private sector switch and the money must be off the charts. But I do not like the instability here. If you are going to promote someone to interim, then they should be a lifer. The school needs to hire a president Who can lead and manage the entire system.

So much turnover is not good.

3 presidents and cfos in less than a decade is bad for sure

Reaction Score
"With Agwunobi stepping down, UConn is expected to name Radenka Maric, the Vice President for Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship as the interim president at the next Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 26. Maric will become the second female president in the school’s history, joining Susan Herbst, who served as president from 2011-19."

bus190314_radenka_maric-19.jpg

-> Radenka Maric is vice president for research, innovation and entrepreneurship, and a Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor at the University of Connecticut, where she oversees the university’s $375 million research enterprise at the main campus in Storrs, the UConn Health campus in Farmington, the School of Law in Hartford, and four regional campuses around the state. Previously, Dr. Maric served as the inaugural executive director of UConn’s $132 million Innovation Partnership Building, which houses state-of-art specialized equipment and research centers of excellence and serves as a nexus for industry-academic partnerships. <-

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He's a health guy. Makes sense to me that it would be preferable to deal with the virus du jour at a private health institution than at a public university where there's a ton of gov't interference, debate and confusion.

I don't think it's a bad a look as others here suggest.

Reaction Score
Guessing that he was told that he would not be a candidate for the job permanently. But to go to an insurance company??? I could see pharma or some other research organization. But an insurance company? I cannot see a former academic being happy there.

Reaction Score
Guessing that he was told that he would not be a candidate for the job permanently. But to go to an insurance company??? I could see pharma or some other research organization. But an insurance company? I cannot see a former academic being happy there.
Humana is more than an insurance company… the space he’s heading up is getting incredible traction (and $$) across the health care industry.

Reaction Score
-> Radenka Maric is vice president for research, innovation and entrepreneurship, and a Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor at the University of Connecticut, where she oversees the university’s $375 million research enterprise at the main campus in Storrs, the UConn Health campus in Farmington, the School of Law in Hartford, and four regional campuses around the state. Previously, Dr. Maric served as the inaugural executive director of UConn’s $132 million Innovation Partnership Building, which houses state-of-art specialized equipment and research centers of excellence and serves as a nexus for industry-academic partnerships. <-

Sounds like her background might be what we need.

Reaction Score
I do like her technical background. Touches on area in which I have been involved, if, perhaps, obliquely.
I was thinking the entrepreneurial part could be a big help.

Reaction Score
Of course. But a consolation prize nonetheless.
@RSTuthill Compared with an interim university President role and unclear UConn Health System CEO future, how/why is reporting directly to Humana's CEO, a senior leadership role on the management team of one of the nation's leading health care delivery and plan administration companies, and FT-focus on Agwunobi's expertise a consolation prize? Still wrapped in political malarkey, yet similar if not potentially markedly higher overall compensation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom