UConn Huskies "Bad For The Women's Game?" | The Boneyard

UConn Huskies "Bad For The Women's Game?"

Reaction Score
The ongoing refrain to which we’ve all been treated during the evolution and the flowering of Geno’s dynasty has been that the resulting inequity was “bad for the women’s game.” We’ve been lectured on how devastating an effect the dominance in Storrs would inevitably have on national fan interest. We were told that, for the good of the game, some updated version of “break up the Yankees” would have to be imposed. Wiser heads, especially on this forum, repeatedly maintained that any effort to weaken the top as a means to strengthen the bottom made no sense, that the answer lied solely in inspiring other programs to devote more resources and to thereby improve.

Well, yo Adrian, they done it!!! For those of us sufficiently spoiled by past success to measure UConn’s seasons only in terms of potential national championships, this may come as a rude awakening. In fact, as much as all of us hate to see the Huskies EVER lose, this development should be cause for celebration. A new age of parity in the game has arrived, and, blessedly, is here to stay…and, more than anyone else, Geno, and the example he set, is responsible. That’s a helluva legacy! Is UConn finished winning championships? Of course not! We won’t have to wait too long for another one. But the days of any program winning half of the national championships in a twenty year period are gone forever. That’s OK, I promise. The whole landscape has shifted for the better…can’t complain about that!

Reaction Score
Parity is Great for the game!
I for one just LOVE UCONN and quite frankly
two loses is not the end of the world. It’s a FUN game and I think it’s wonderful to see more and more teams compete at the top!
Can’t wait until the Memphis game!

Reaction Score
Parity in wcbb is only good for the teams seeking to be the second best team behind Uconn. As long as Uconn is way ahead of the pack i wish all 300+ division 1 teams in America lots of luck in aspiring to this lofty goal.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the days where our odds of winning the NC are > 90% are over forever . We may turn into a favorite but just one of a group of 4-6 that can be considered real challengers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think the days where our odds of winning the NC are > 90% are over forever . We may turn into a favorite but just one of a group of 4-6 that can be considered real challengers.
I have stated this elsewhere. I don't think we'll be seeing anyone win 3 or more consecutive NCs in the next decade. I do think, based on current recruiting trends and program trajectories, that there will be a handful of elite programs that will bat the title around among themselves. Wouldn't be surprised if the next 10 NCs go to only 4 or 5 teams.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As Tennesse brought the rise of Uconn. UConn has brought the rise of Notre Dame, South Carolina, Oregon, Baylor and to a lesser extent Oregon State, Maryland and others.

The difference will be who of the "new kids on the block" can maintain their lofty status over the next decade or so.

Reaction Score
LOL. Do you guys remember when the tournament was tongue in cheek called the UCONN Invitational.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
LOL. Do you guys remember when the tournament was tongue in cheek called the UCONN Invitational.
Ah yes, those were glorious days. Parity is for the weak.

Reaction Score
As Tennesse brought the rise of Uconn. UConn has brought the rise of Notre Dame, South Carolina, Oregon, Baylor and to a lesser extent Oregon State, Maryland and others.

The difference will be who of the "new kids on the block" can maintain their lofty status over the next decade or so.
When the big three left town it was always going to be downhill from there. When Geno leaves in, I'm guessing, five years or so, there will be another step down, and then a few years after Geno has been gone a bigger step down as reality sets in. I don't think we'll see one program dominate like UConn did ever again. You don't see it on the men's side today, and that level of parity is where the women's game is ultimately heading.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There are more above average players now, too many to be concentrated on three or four teams. Also, there are a number of good young coaches coming along.

Reaction Score
As much as I've enjoyed UCONN'S dominance and the three longest winning streaks in WCBB history, I agree also that the rising parity is great for the game. While it may not be like the men where any team can win each year, it's great that there can be a discussion for the women of who's going to win it this year instead of "Who is going to dethrone UCONN?" In parallel, I rather think "Can we win it this year?" instead of it being an automatic given because there's no excitement or suspense to that.

All great dynasties eventually run its course. Think collegiately of Alabama football, the UCLA men in basketball and volleyball, Arizona softball, UNC womens soccer, Penn State WVB, and I'll even go out on a limb and mention the Swimming and Diving program at Division III Kenyon. Apologies for going overboard but you see what I mean. No one is going to lay down flat and be complacent because they all want to get to the top too. I'm glad and happy for Dawn, Kim, and Muffet for being able to have their slice of pie. They sure have deserved it.

Reaction Score
As much as I've enjoyed UCONN'S dominance and the three longest winning streaks in WCBB history, I agree also that the rising parity is great for the game. While it may not be like the men where any team can win each year, it's great that there can be a discussion for the women of who's going to win it this year instead of "Who is going to dethrone UCONN?" In parallel, I rather think "Can we win it this year?" instead of it being an automatic given because there's no excitement or suspense to that.

All great dynasties eventually run its course. Think collegiately of Alabama football, the UCLA men in basketball and volleyball, Arizona softball, UNC womens soccer, Penn State WVB, and I'll even go out on a limb and mention the Swimming and Diving program at Division III Kenyon. Apologies for going overboard but you see what I mean. No one is going to lay down flat and be complacent because they all want to get to the top too. I'm glad and happy for Dawn, Kim, and Muffet for being able to have their slice of pie. They sure have deserved it.
Arizona softball did well but not as well as UCLA.

Reaction Score
Arizona softball did well but not as well as UCLA.
You’re perfectly right. I did enjoy watching those UA teams though from the 90’s and 2000’s when they were the top program in the country.

Reaction Score
These exact same sentiments are now being expressed by many fans in the Big 12 about Baylor. As if because BU has gotten so good they have ruined the conference. The truth is everybody else has just gotten sorry. If Baylor became mediocre like the rest of em, it wouldn't make them any better. They'd just win one more game a year at best because they only play twice and they go 1 -1 like they do with each other right now. You don't make yourself better by tearing down whoever is above you. You simply must look in the mirror and take your responsibility and rise to their level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom