UConn Highlights: Doug Wrenn - Freshman Season (1999-2000) | The Boneyard

UConn Highlights: Doug Wrenn - Freshman Season (1999-2000)

Reaction Score
My reactions:

* Esherick was ridiculous, as were Wrenn's dunks.
* My memory fails: can't believe Voskuhl, Wrenn and Marcus Cox were on the same team. Just seems like different eras.
* In terms of recruits we landed, only the Nate Miles recruitment exceeds the energy-expended-to-low-(or no)-production ratio of the Wrenn recruitment. Can't think of any others in the same universe, actually.

Reaction Score
My reactions:

* Esherick was ridiculous, as were Wrenn's dunks.
* My memory fails: can't believe Voskuhl, Wrenn and Marcus Cox were on the same team. Just seems like different eras.
* In terms of recruits we landed, only the Nate Miles recruitment exceeds the energy-expended-to-low-(or no)-production ratio of the Wrenn recruitment. Can't think of any others in the same universe, actually.
Honestly had no idea how ferocious his dunks were. Even standard dunks off of two feet he made them look spectacular.

Reaction Score
Thought we had something with wrenn. Obviously he wasn't around long. And Caron made us all forget Wrenn pretty quick.

I wonder if we get Caron if Wrenn stays. Someone more in tune with recruiting could probably say. For all i know Caron committed before wrenn left. I wonder how Caron and Wrenn would of played together. Similar positions. I wish we had a chance to find out what Wrenn as a junior and Caron as a Sophomore looked like. Some sort of small ball variant as one of those two has more traditional big man responsibilities. I think that team sounds quick and bruising.

Reaction Score
Honestly had no idea how ferocious his dunks were. Even standard dunks off of two feet he made them look spectacular.
I dont really remember the ferocity either. Except the dunk on Gtown at the end. I just about spit out my drink watching that live. I think there's a different angle somewhere that shows Wrenn kicking the Gtown dude in the face.

Reaction Score
Man, that off the backboard from Khalid slam always stuck with me.

Wrenn was always checking to make sure the structural integrity of the backboard support was sufficient.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, a highlight guy, but the block shot intentionally sent 20 rows up sums it up. Opponents ball.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I thought Wrenn and Marcus Cox were both going to be gems. Too bad they could not get out of their own ways. Both were very good ball players.

Reaction Score
Thought we had something with wrenn. Obviously he wasn't around long. And Caron made us all forget Wrenn pretty quick.

I wonder if we get Caron if Wrenn stays. Someone more in tune with recruiting could probably say. For all i know Caron committed before wrenn left. I wonder how Caron and Wrenn would of played together. Similar positions. I wish we had a chance to find out what Wrenn as a junior and Caron as a Sophomore looked like. Some sort of small ball variant as one of those two has more traditional big man responsibilities. I think that team sounds quick and bruising.
Wrenn was kicked out before Caron got on campus. He was never going to make it in College, he lacked any of the maturity needed and unfortunately for him it carried over into his adult life.

Reaction Score
Wrenn was kicked out before Caron got on campus. He was never going to make it in College, he lacked any of the maturity needed and unfortunately for him it carried over into his adult life.
Yeah, it's been a few years. Forgot the circumstances. I can still wonder what they would of done together

Reaction Score
Unreal. This kid had immense potential. He couldve been a lottery pick and made an impact in the NBA making millions and taking care of his family for the rest of his life. Just sad really.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Anyone have an idea what he's up to? I did not follow the Wrenn recruitment but like so many others have said his talent was off the charts. Incredible he never really panned out at this or the next level. His story is a bit like Providence's Ricky Ledo, though Ledo has made his mark overseas.

Reaction Score
Didnt he get thrown off team for stealing sneakers at west farms? He was deff a highlight reel tho

Reaction Score
JC said many times that Wrenn was the best athlete that UConn ever had. I loved Wrenn and thought he would be a star but he just could not put it together. What I always liked, though, is he was always the first guy jumping around on the bench. He really loved UConn it seemed, just did not have any discipline or maturity to harness his talent. There have been a few articles over the years talking of some of his troubles and how sad it is that he couldn't put it all together.

Reaction Score
Wrenn-El didn’t immediately attend Washington. He went to prep school on the East Coast to complete eligibility requirements and then played as a freshman at Connecticut.

“We were actually both talking about declaring (for the draft) together after our freshman year,” Wrenn-El said. “I told [Jamal Crawford] I can’t do it, I only averaged 3 points a game at U-Conn. I said, ‘Jamal, I got no tape!’

Reaction Score
I played against Wrenn in AAU and it was such a disappointing experience. We were matched up against each other the whole game. He gave zero effort. Barely ran up and down the court. Maybe scored a few buckets, didn't even put a hand up on D. He did not want to be on the court. Frustrating since you didn't get many opportunities to play against top-flight recruits but that game was a sign of his maturity issues.

Reaction Score
Didnt he get thrown off team for stealing sneakers at west farms? He was deff a highlight reel tho

I believe they were Timberlands but who was he with? Was it Tony Robertson, there was someone else along for that ride.

Talented kid but never matured. Watch the few highlights I mean we should have had a boatload of them from him had he straightened out his path.

Reaction Score
I remember how well he moved but forgot how jacked he was. Definitely a man as a freshman.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I believe they were Timberlands but who was he with? Was it Tony Robertson, there was someone else along for that ride.

Talented kid but never matured. Watch the few highlights I mean we should have had a boatload of them from him had he straightened out his path.

They were Timberlands from Bob's. I believe Marcus Cox was the other individual involved.

Reaction Score
They were Timberlands from Bob's. I believe Marcus Cox was the other individual involved.

JB75 has it right was definitely West Farms. Was Bob's ever in the mall? Yeah could've been Cox too, no matter bad move and I'm sure JC wasn't a very happy guy right about then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom