UConn Foundation Reports Strong Fundraising In 2015-16 | The Boneyard

UConn Foundation Reports Strong Fundraising In 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Building on stronger connections with alumni, the University of Connecticut Foundation had its second-most successful fundraising season ever, bringing in $78.3 million in fiscal 2016.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Ditto (well I will increase my recurring contribution).

Reaction Score
Article confuses me. All that money should count as part of the endowment. The $21m should just go into the general endowment.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Ditto (well I will increase my recurring contribution).
One has to wonder if we are left at the altar again what will transpire.
Seat donations - no way.
Increased giving? No.
I would like to hear some word from our admin that give a sh&t.

Reaction Score
Article confuses me. All that money should count as part of the endowment. The $21m should just go into the general endowment.
funds not designated for the endowment go toward current operating costs, etc., thus the endowment never increases by the amount raised each year

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Did anyone else get the email from the UConn Foundation that said "A New Home for UConn Nation"?

My heart skipped a beat and I thought it was a Big XII invite. Nope, just a new uconnalumni.com
I don't like to drive and check my phone but with a subject like that I did pull it up... Couldn't believe they would email something like that.

Reaction Score
Seat donations - no way.
Increased giving? No.
Seat donations - no way.
Increased giving? No.

I hope you aren't speaking for yourself. If you are, you aren't much of a UCONN fan. No matter what transpires and however disappointed we may be I would hope true UCONN fans will continue to support the program

Reaction Score
I hope you aren't speaking for yourself. If you are, you aren't much of a UCONN fan. No matter what transpires and however disappointed we may be I would hope true UCONN fans will continue to support the program
The attitude you won't support football because we're not in a P5 league
Just could be the root cause of UConn not being in a P5 league

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
If we are in the AAC in 2 years I will increase my donation to mitigate the lost revenue from being in the G5. That is when our loyalty will be most tested. To paraphrase Thomas Paine, these are the times that try UCONN fan's souls. The summer fan and the sunshine cheerleader will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their university; but those that stands by it now, deserve the love and thanks of men and women. Obscurity in the G5, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

Reaction Score
If we are in the AAC in 2 years I will increase my donation to mitigate the lost revenue from being in the G5. That is when our loyalty will be most tested. To paraphrase Thomas Paine, these are the times that try UCONN fan's souls. The summer fan and the sunshine cheerleader will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their university; but those that stands by it now, deserve the love and thanks of men and women. Obscurity in the G5, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Many of us have been proudly donating for decades. Time is running out for some of us, but that is life. The summer fan and sunshine cheerleader make up the bulk of UConn nation. You can determine that by looking at the number of individual donors to the UConn Foundation and the Department of Athletics. The former AD was begging to get to 5000 donors just a year or so ago. I never heard if he succeeded. I suspect that if the Big 12 expands now and UConn is not taken, the Rent will look like it has looked over the past couple of years and the situation will get worse as time goes by.

Reaction Score
$375 million is not a good endowment. For comparison:
BYU: $1.47B
Cincy: $1.2B
Houston: $684M
USF: $387M

Also:
Pitt: $3.4B
BC: $2.4B
Cuse: $1.1B
WVU: $533M

Reaction Score
When Newton joined the foundation I expressed some reservations about his capability to get UConn to the promised land. This was based on my experience with him at Emory. My youngest is an alumna and several former business associates were either alumni or had children who are. My observation was that he talked a great game but did not have the day to day discipline to get the great results necessary. So far in his 3 year tenure at UConn a see nothing to change that opinion.

Reaction Score
$375mm also isn't our endowment. The correct number, easily found online, is $437mm.

University of Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If $375 million is wrong someone better tell the foundation because they just said that's what it is earlier this month. Actually they said it was "nearly" $375 million. The Wikipedia number in your link is net assets as of 2014. Net assets and endowment are two different things.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can we please stop with the attendance shaming. The level of competition matters. FB attendance didn't tank until the last three home games in P's third season in 2013. He was already canned by that point and there has been zero reason for it to recover through the death of the BE and horrible teams until this year. When we get a shot a the top level the attendance is more than solid. To wit:

Men's Hockey
'14: 1,077
'15 5,396 Joined HE 400% increase.
'16 5,129

Men's Basketball
'79 5,340
'80 5,560 joins BE
'81 8,682 62% increase from pre Big East
'87 7,496 Calhoun's first Season
'91 11,730 Gampel Pavilion's first full season 200% increase from pre Big East
'98 13,007 Year before first NCAA Final Four/Title 240% increase from pre Big East

Football
'99 9,628 Last season in 1-AA
'02 15,807 First FBS season 64% increase from 1-AA
'03 37,059 Rent opens 384% increase from 1-AA 234% increase from previous year,
'04 39,304 First season in Big East 400% increase from 1-AA
'05 40,000 Sold out every game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors