UConn football Smart, Women’s basketball not | The Boneyard

UConn football Smart, Women’s basketball not

Reaction Score
Just came across this in the NYTimes. It's all about the "courage" reflected in the UConn men's football team in being first in the nation to shut-down this year's program. In the last paragraph, it takes up the women's basketball team's decision. I'll be very interested in your reaction to this direct assault:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Just came across this in the NYTimes. It's all about the "courage" reflected in the UConn men's football team in being first in the nation to shut-down this year's program. In the last paragraph, it takes up the women's basketball team's decision. I'll be very interested in your reaction to this direct assault:
Haven't read the NYTimes since the early 90's don't plan on it now. Just wonder though why not praise the Ivy League for canceling both football and basketball. Why just UConn and not the other Universities that did BOTH, played football and basketball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Misleading thread title. UConn Men's football compared to both men's and women's basketball

Only thought for me is an amazing oversimplification of what goes into deciding what should be done balancing the needs, risks, protocols and goals of all involved.

Reaction Score
The key to this thing appears in the last paragraph where the women's basketball program is said to be playing for money, championships, and in conscious disregard for the health risks to its players. If Edsall decided to shut his season down, what was Geno's thinking in deciding to play?
Don't misunderstand, I'm not sympathetic to this article's POV. But isn't it shocking to accuse a major wbb program of greed, ambition, and carelessness? I think so.
Will Geno weigh in? Hard to ignore the front page of the NYTimes.

Reaction Score
Much harder to protect the football ecosystem then the basketball ecosystem. You're talking about 5 times as many players, coaches, trainers, etc. Not sure if this point was brought up in the NYT article (I'm not going to waste my time reading it).

Reaction Score
The first time someone said to a coach " If you can't win, you will not have this job" It was all about money. It Is All about Money! Money talks and BS walks. Money isn't every thing, It's the only thing.

Reaction Score
I mean, but isn't it all about the money for Randy Edsall? If UConn had played this season, would he still be getting paid by UConn for another season if they had performed below expectations again?

I think it's a tricky topic to navigate nonetheless. I'm not sure that there's really an easy answer given the very emotional nature of reactions people have had to the pandemic.

Reaction Score
Get rid of Edsall? They tried that once, didn't workout too good.

Reaction Score
This is uncharted waters. No correct corse, Just don't run aground. "Part of the ship, Part of the crew."

Reaction Score
The key to this thing appears in the last paragraph where the women's basketball program is said to be playing for money, championships, and in conscious disregard for the health risks to its players. If Edsall decided to shut his season down, what was Geno's thinking in deciding to play?
Don't misunderstand, I'm not sympathetic to this article's POV. But isn't it shocking to accuse a major wbb program of greed, ambition, and carelessness? I think so.
Will Geno weigh in? Hard to ignore the front page of the NYTimes.

They could have changed the school to Duke and mens football to womens basketball and then ask coach K if he is playing " in conscious disregard for the health risks to his players"? But all the Dulies in Manhatten would burn the Times down for criticizing their god.

UConn saved a ton of money cancelling a sport with an elephantine budget compared to any other UConn sport. Especially when the revenue from tickets and concessions is not there. I'm not saying that was the sole or main reason but I worked for the state government for over 30 years and the budget people ruled everywhere.

I'm not sure I see where the football players are safer. Are UConn football players being tested 3 times a week? Are they offered living arangements that keep them isolated from the "real" student population? Is going home for 2 weeks during the holidays safer than staying on campus? It's not like the virus only goes after active athletes.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
They could have changed the school to Duke and mens football to womens basketball and then ask coach K if he is playing " in conscious disregard for the health risks to his players"? But all the Dulies in Manhatten would burn the Times down for criticizing their god.

UConn saved a ton of money cancelling a sport with an elephantine budget compared to any other UConn sport. Especially when the revenue from tickets and concessions is not there. I'm not saying that was the sole or main reason but I worked for the state government for over 30 years and the budget people ruled everywhere.

I'm not sure I see where the football players are safer. Are UConn football players being tested 3 times a week? Are they offered living arangements that keep them isolated from the "real" student population? Is going home for 2 weeks during the holidays safer than staying on campus? It's not like the virus only goes after active athletes.
The article was mostly about Randy Edsall - who is claiming in the article that the season was cancelled because he gave the players the choice and they chose to cancel.

UConn Men's and Women's basketball is but an afterthought in an article that blasts numerous other conferences, basketball teams - in fact, everyone except teams and schools that didn't play.

I don't know the answer to your question about the players, but they do continue to practice, per the article.

Reaction Score
if UConn football had a chance to have a decent season they would have been far more likely to play..............in their current situation who could blame them for choosing safety off the field as opposed to being a punching bag on the field never mind Covid.......

Reaction Score
NYT journalist praising UConn football shut down for any reason is a red flag. They should have stayed D2.
He's got nothing.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just to be clear - this was not news. It was the opinion of a columnist. He works for them, its true, but the NY Times is not claiming the things in the article, it is an opinion piece.

I hate that there is no differentiation any more between opinions and facts. Someone in our local paper wrote multiple columns about how bad our hire of a new football coach is at Arizona. That's his opinion. Presented as fact. He may be right, but we don't know that.

Same with the column linked above.
The Washington Post most days has a page of editorial and letters and two pages of op-ed. Many years ago they would label non-news pieces in the body of the front section as “analysis” or “opinion.” Not any more. It’s still a great paper, but there is certainly a blurring between reporting and opinion.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
if UConn football had a chance to have a decent season they would have been far more likely to play..............in their current situation who could blame them for choosing safety off the field as opposed to being a punching bag on the field never mind Covid.......
Exactly. UCONN WBB has a chance to actually accomplish something through all of the risks involved. UCONN football, not so much.

Reaction Score
It is not clear that it is less safe being a college athlete than just a student. The premise behind the "high road" of shutting down is that there are significantly higher chances of getting covid through athletics. The data do not show that to be true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom