UConn football is ahead of schedule headed into spring ball (McFarlane/Courant) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn football is ahead of schedule headed into spring ball (McFarlane/Courant)

C

Chief00

I am telling you- At any given time multiple key players at a time were contact traced for two weeks a pop. The right call was made to not play. We held on and signed some really good looking recruits who obviously didn’t care that we didnt play. I think it’s tired to keep rehashing that we didn’t play.

Even if we did play I’m pretty sure most on here would be looking forward to 3/1 and then 8/28 way more than caring about what we did last season. I for one am not saying “kudos to UMass for showing their commitment to trying to play” who cares?
So by you, 127 D1 schools messed up and UConn, NM State and I forgot will lead them out of the football irrelevancy wilderness.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
And if you see Hurley tell him to wear his freaking mask. They do no good just covering his chin
Amen. If he is going to be a tool about it, then take it off completely and make your statement. Otherwise wear it like the guidelines state.,...and like other coaches do.

Be a role model.

I love Hurley...but the mask thing is frustrating.

Reaction Score
Amen. If he is going to be a tool about it, then take it off completely and make your statement. Otherwise wear it like the guidelines state.,...and like other coaches do.

Be a role model.

I love Hurley...but the mask thing is frustrating.
Really the Big East should make it grounds for a technical on the bench or outright rejection. Of course first they should fire any ref who doesn’t Wear on too.

Reaction Score
Who were we going to play, chief? 3 games agaist UMass? Given all the circumstaces, yeah not playing was the right thing
Free scooter don’t be to hard on Chief. He just doesn’t realize that Randy had NO OPTIONS. State of ct department of health would never let them play. Edsall has no say and we were definitely not going to be able to find many teams to play.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, back on topic, did I miss the part where someone asked Randy what was the original schedule and what efffect will the "ahead of schedule" schedule have on on-field performance?

Or did everyone just compliantly sit there and jot down "ahead of schedule" and leave it at that?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Randy is practically confessing what many of us thought. His Covid excuse was BS as 127 D1 other schools knew how to manage. Contrary to the NYTs article Randy was all about the money - receiving another $1M year and a $300k retention bonus while he had a year of immunity from loses and being fired. It’s funny how they could practice, live and workout together but couldn’t play games. Rather than talk about how he kept them safe from Covid - and that’s not true either cuz over 20 guys got it, he’s talking about how everyone used that time in the gym together getting bigger and stronger.

Please stop. UMass played 4 games If we play they would have had 5. We would have done no better.

Reaction Score
pull the plug.
Pull the plug on your self, if your so miserable to dog out kids that try they’re hardest but play for a coach that doesn’t know how to win find a new team we don’t need you

C

Chief00

As of today, 43% of UConn's men's basketball games have been either cancelled or postponed with only 14 to 15 players on the roster. Never mind that UConn football has over 100 players, would not have been allowed to play home games, and had no conference to help schedule games, COVID positives and contact tracing would have probably ended the season anyway.

Gee, how did all these other D1 teams accomplish this amazing feat?

Reaction Score
Gee, how did all these other D1 teams accomplish this amazing feat?
Because other schools didn't have King Ned and the DOH guidelines. How is it every state but CT and 2 others have played a football season or are going to be playing HS football games? Same answer if you're wondering.

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear that the Governor and the CT Department of Health have been holding back athletics in Connecticut. The following if from an article on the cancellation of the fall football season in Connecticut. (I bolded the key sentence.)

"The CIAC said the decision was made in alignment with the Connecticut Department of Public Health's recommendation that football is a "high-risk" sport in relation to the possible spread of COVID-19."

"The CIAC met with the Department of Public Health last week to try and reach an agreement on mitigation factors that might make full-contact football possible, but the DPH said the proposals did not change football to a moderate-risk sport."

""CIAC made every effort to weigh all factors in this decision, including the passionate voices of students, parents, and school personnel, and ultimately made the determination to align its decision with the recommendations of the Governor’s office and DPH to not hold high-risk sports at this time,” CIAC Executive Director Glenn Lungarini said in a news release. “In conversation with other state associations across the country, it was clear that a key factor in playing interscholastic football was alignment with the opinion of their state’s governor and state health agency.”"

CIAC Officially Cancels Fall High School Football Season

Reaction Score
Seriously, you act like Connecticut was the only state that didn’t play football in 2020. Most if not all of New England didn’t play. Virginia and NorthCarolina didn't play. New York didn’t play. Delaware didn’t play. California, Oregon, Washington didn’t. Give the King Ned nonsense a break. And remember when the decision was made the Big 10 and PAC 12 had both said they weren’t playing at the collegiate level. This was a not unreasonable decision and many other states made the same one.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seriously, you act like Connecticut was the only state that didn’t play football in 2020. Most if not all of New England didn’t play. Virginia and NorthCarolina didn't play. New York didn’t play. Delaware didn’t play. California, Oregon, Washington didn’t. Give the King Ned nonsense a break. And remember when the decision was made the Big 10 and PAC 12 had both said they weren’t playing at the collegiate level. This was a not unreasonable decision and many other states made the same one.
Well thats nice. I suppose someone could also list all the states that did play, so whatever.

What matters now is how this team is allowed to conduct a real spring program beginning 3/1 building toward a real season in 2021. This past fall all they were permitted to do was individual skills development due to social distancing. Now the real test begins for this athletic program, can they actually get on the field and play real team football starting in March. The hockey team seems to be playing and BB has its spurts, so yeah it should happen. If the program is going to follow the same n'th degree contract tracing / 14 day look back, then yeah they wont get many snaps in....happy to be wrong.

Reaction Score
Actually, New Hampshire and Vermont figured out a way to salvage a fall football season.

My point was that some posters wanted to blame Edsall for no fall football and I think that is ridiculous as the CT DOH and the governor really made the call and with no conference to provide games and almost all games cancelled, there was no way to move forward with the season.

And, there is something different in Connecticut (or at UConn) when UConn men's basketball has one of the highest % of cancelled games in college basketball and Butler played 2 games after UConn shut down due to exposure to a COVID positive ref.

Reaction Score
Now the real test begins for this athletic program, can they actually get on the field and play real team football starting in March. The hockey team seems to be playing and BB has its spurts, so yeah it should happen. If the program is going to follow the same n'th degree contract tracing / 14 day look back, then yeah they wont get many snaps in....happy to be wrong.
My point was that some posters wanted to blame Edsall for no fall football and I think that is ridiculous as the CT DOH and the governor really made the call and with no conference to provide games and almost all games cancelled, there was no way to move forward with the season.

And, there is something different in Connecticut (or at UConn) when UConn men's basketball has one of the highest % of cancelled games in college basketball and Butler played 2 games after UConn shut down due to exposure to a COVID positive ref.
Well, we've been assured that won't happen going forward so full speed ahead!
We will play the games out now. Somebody has been finally put in their place. So don’t expect any further power trips from someone,who is clueless how to get things done.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well, we've been assured that won't happen going forward so full speed ahead!
Haha - well March certainly will be telling!

But even if March practice goes awry, they will have to figure it out in July because its pretty much a lock that the other 129 programs will be going full steam ahead (learning how to keep COVid to a minimum and practice to a maximum) and thus the fall competition will be unforgiving as always.

Reaction Score
Actually, New Hampshire and Vermont figured out a way to salvage a fall football season.

You might make that argument if almost half the cancelations didn’t come from the other team. But we’ve played 11 games. Villanova has 13. DePaul has 9 or 10. Georgetown has 11, Xavier has 13...and a couple have 18-19. It is the way this season is going to go.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking almost all seniors are back for 2021!! Hope I’m right..I know now Mensah is staying as well as Rose, Keating, Fortt and Van Demark .. not sure about Harrell, Morgan, and Harris.. sure would be nice to get an updated roster or some type of news. Hopefully soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom