UConn football is ahead of schedule headed into spring ball (McFarlane/Courant) | The Boneyard

UConn football is ahead of schedule headed into spring ball (McFarlane/Courant)

Reaction Score
This is all nice but the big “difference” has to be shown in wins and losses. If the kids are bigger and stronger after lifting and strengthening for essentially 20 months with no real games well, that is what SHOULD happen. Win games......that’d be a huge difference

Reaction Score
March 1st for the start of spring ball almost sounds late. Coastal Carolina started Jan27th this year. I believe along with UConn they were the only two teams to get through spring practice last year.

Reaction Score
March 1st for the start of spring ball almost sounds late. Coastal Carolina started Jan27th this year. I believe along with UConn they were the only two teams to get through spring practice last year.
In 2017 they started mid-March. 2018 they started first week of March. In 2019 and 2020 they changed things up and started beginning of February and ended in March.

Reaction Score
This is all nice but the big “difference” has to be shown in wins and losses. If the kids are bigger and stronger after lifting and strengthening for essentially 20 months with no real games well, that is what SHOULD happen. Win games......that’d be a huge difference
“One cannot fly into flying.”

I do agree. Wins will matter but more important we have to be competitive in these games

Reaction Score
I would hope so, its time to shut up and win. Win maybe a half or a quarter at least.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Unless you can overwhelm your opponent, the close games take a learning curve to win. Our last season we started to play closer games, but couldn't win them. I hope we can turn that corner this year!

Reaction Score
I think everybody understands about this season. He wont be able to recruit this year if he doesn't have something beyond it though.

C

Chief00

It will be a lopsided schedule of sure wins (if we are at all competitive) and sure loses. The key will a couple of games which could go either way.

Reaction Score
I want wins too. But I also know how I felt walking away from the Illinois and Houston games. Those were fun. There are games on the schedule where we need to win in order to show we’ve turned the corner though.
I’m happy with .500 or better with competing in almost every game (Clemson will most likely be very ugly)

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I haven't been this excited for college football in a long time. Covid gave us a chance to reset. We are going to come out swinging. High energy with high expectations. Let's go!

Reaction Score
This has probably been answered somewhere else but I haven't seen it. Is Mensah staying for next season?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is his Alamo. He put the stake in the ground selling a year off and it’s benefits. There is no more ground to retreat to another excuse. All his guys, all his systems, all his staff. Time to own it.
I agree with he owns it now - it's his staff etc
But as far as selling the year off - no - RE was being the obedient State of CT employee in doing the Commissar Lamont's dirty work
I look forward to a marked turnaround - better athletes and bigger stronger guys - the year off didn't have the impact on recruitment that a winless season would have.

C

Chief00

This is his Alamo. He put the stake in the ground selling a year off and it’s benefits. There is no more ground to retreat to another excuse. All his guys, all his systems, all his staff. Time to own it.
Randy is practically confessing what many of us thought. His Covid excuse was BS as 127 D1 other schools knew how to manage. Contrary to the NYTs article Randy was all about the money - receiving another $1M year and a $300k retention bonus while he had a year of immunity from loses and being fired. It’s funny how they could practice, live and workout together but couldn’t play games. Rather than talk about how he kept them safe from Covid - and that’s not true either cuz over 20 guys got it, he’s talking about how everyone used that time in the gym together getting bigger and stronger.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Randy is practically confessing what many of us thought. His Covid excuse was BS as 127 D1 other schools knew how to manage. Contrary to the NYTs article Randy was all about the money - receiving another $1M year and a $300k retention bonus while he had a year of immunity from loses and being fired. It’s funny how they could practice, live and workout together but couldn’t play games. Rather than talk about how he kept them safe from Covid - and that’s not true either cuz over 20 guys got it, he’s talking about how everyone used that time in the gym together getting bigger and stronger.
Isn't it basketball season? Did you click on the wrong board?

C

Chief00

And let’s see who they win against. This is the most unbalanced schedule I have ever seen. The extreme haves and have nots.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech was awful for a number of years before and then after Beamer took over. His philosophy was schedule for success. He followed it and set his schedule so that he would have a great chance at a winning record every year. When they joined the Big East he kept that philosophy. Figured even if he went 3-4 in the league he could go no worse than 3-1 in an 11 game season. We need to emulate that. As VaTech got better the non league schedule did too but always it was designed for 3 wins. We need to be scheduling for 5 wins, 5 toss ups and 2 stretch games.

Reaction Score
I agree they could have made it work if they wanted to. They didn’t. No need to blame others. I don’t believe RE didn’t play because he could collect money. Guessing he is financially set for life. Maybe if they were part of a conference they would have played but we’ll never know. My personal opinion is that it is a quitters mentality not to try but it is over with and looking forward to next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom