UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach?

Reaction Score
I have been awful betting UCONN Football recently - particularly against a point spread. TOO much heart. But I am thinking we have a new Head Coach early - like before November.

We aren't USC. I am thinking Benedicts nature is he has already made 80% of the calls he would like to make. And has a nice targeted list TODAY

ok ... DOES THAT MEAN ... that the prospective guy isn't a Head Coach today? Maybe

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Benedict knows he needs a homerun hire, first sign you're unhireable is if you want to keep any of these coaches on the staff.
I generally agree but Eddie Allen has actually done a good job with the special teams. That is the only unit that isn't broken of the 3.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
This is an unprecedented move by DB. It sheds the worst light on the program. It screams minor league. The College Football Coaches Association should issue a statement on all of this. The HC steps out with a golden parachute and allows the AD to start the expiration clock on these coaches, including the former HC’s kid. A six month severance turns into 3 months. Shameful. Big league programs do not oper like this.. Fact: Dave Benedict inherited a football program coming off a bowl game. He is the ONLY constant in this 5 year fiasco. Spin THAT any wat you’d like. Wake up, this place is DOOMED with this AD.
Did you decide to skip all the posts in this thread, and just comment based on the writing of a hateful troll "journalist?" If you continued to read (assuming you can) you would realize that this is par for the course and not any "unprecedented" move. Due diligence, dude. Read and learn. Reading is fundamental.

Reaction Score
Genius and Journalist rarely go hand in hand, and I think DiMauro is no exception. Pot stirring is so much less intellectually burdensome than ascertaining facts and providing insights.

Reaction Score
This interpretation doesn't seem correct. The contract has an "and/or" clause regarding notice and compensation:

According to DiMauro's story, "The coaches, per the sources, will be given six months' severance pay". This is in compliance with the "and/or" clause in the contract. This is pretty generous. When I was laid off, I got one week of severance pay for every year that I worked.

I think the "and/or" means you need to give a combined 6 months notice/severance once a head coach is terminated. So because the university provides this notice in September, they will only need to pay 3 months of severance as they will be terminated as of 12/31/21. If we waited to provide that termination notice as of 12/31/21, they would need to pay the full 6 months severance, essentially saving 3 months worth of severance for all the coaches (unless employed for only 1 year) for something that was inevitably going to occur.

Reaction Score
Mike DiMauro has been an advocate for UConn football when others were largely silent. He may be skeptical about its future now, but I have faith for now it will rebound and stay FBS.

Reaction Score
Special teams has.
Which part? The punter who sucks at punting or the kick return TD against a kickoff team of all freshman seeing their first career game action?

Reaction Score
Mike DiMauro has been an advocate for UConn football when others were largely silent. He may be skeptical about its future now, but I have faith for now it will rebound and stay FBS.
BCIdiot has never been an advocate for anything related to UConn athletics. He only has a job by trolling fans with hateful and misleading clickbait articles bashing the University.

BCIdiot thinks he's the smartest guy in the room because he went to BC. If he was smart, he wouldn't be working for a 2nd tier newspaper.

Reaction Score
BCIdiot has never been an advocate for anything related to UConn athletics. He only has a job by trolling fans with hateful and misleading clickbait articles bashing the University.

BCIdiot thinks he's the smartest guy in the room because he went to BC. If he was smart, he wouldn't be working for a 2nd tier newspaper.
* 3rd tier

Reaction Score

BC students are the grade monger kids who worked their tails off to get good really grades but lacked the real brains to get to the top of the stack. They couldn’t make into an Ivy, small Ivy or other elite institution, but think they are owed something. That’s why a moron journalist feels compelled to adopt BC Genius as his appellation.

Reaction Score
BC students are the grade monger kids who worked their tails off to get good really grades but lacked the real brains to get to the top of the stack. They couldn’t make into an Ivy, small Ivy or other elite institution, but think they are owed something. That’s why a moron journalist feels compelled to adopt BC Genius as his appellation.
Thats too strong. I teach high school and we’ve sent many great students there who have flourished. BC is a great school overall. I still hope all their athletic teams lost every game though.

Reaction Score
Thats too strong. I teach high school and we’ve sent many great students there who have flourished. BC is a great school overall. I still hope all their athletic teams lost every game though.
Probably right. The point as virtually none of those kids would have a chance at Harvard, MIT, Williams, or Amherst. Its just the way it is. BC is a fine school, but Holy Cross, Wellesley, and BU are roughly on the same level. I found many BC alums to be smug beyond their educational station.

Reaction Score
Probably right. The point as virtually none of those kids would have a chance at Harvard, MIT, Williams, or Amherst. Its just the way it is. BC is a fine school, but Holy Cross, Wellesley, and BU are roughly on the same level. I found many BC alums to be smug beyond their educational station.
Fair enough.

Reaction Score

-> Spanos and offensive coordinator Frank Giufre had contracts that ran through Jan. 14, 2023. But the letters from Benedict — obtained by Hearst Connecticut Media via a Freedom of Information request — notified the coaches that they “will be terminated on March 26, 2022” in accordance with the employment agreement and the collective bargaining agreement between the school and the union representing the coaches. <-

-> The contracts for the rest of the staff ran through Jan. 14, 2022. All but three — co-recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach Dennis Dottin-Carer, co-recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach Aaron Smith, and tight ends coach Corey Edsall — were informed their contracts would not be renewed beyond Jan. 14. Dottin-Carter, Smith and Corey Edsall were told their contracts will not be renewed beyond Jan. 25. <-

-> The letters did mention the possibility that the coaches could be hired by the next coach.“This decision is based on the recent change in Head Coach and you may be eligible for rehire or continuation at the discretion of the new Head Coach in consultation with me,” Benedict wrote. <-

Reaction Score
They better hope hiring goes smoothly.... Imagine a scenario (can't remember who it was) where the head coach for football had just been hired for temple it think?.. left for Miami immediately?

Reaction Score
Spanos has at least earned the opportunity to be in the conversation as next HC. The players seem to be responding well to him and him bringing in Mazzone has completely changed the offense. I hope he can get at least 3 wins with UMass, MTSU and Yale.

Reaction Score

-> Spanos and offensive coordinator Frank Giufre had contracts that ran through Jan. 14, 2023. But the letters from Benedict — obtained by Hearst Connecticut Media via a Freedom of Information request — notified the coaches that they “will be terminated on March 26, 2022” in accordance with the employment agreement and the collective bargaining agreement between the school and the union representing the coaches. <-

-> The contracts for the rest of the staff ran through Jan. 14, 2022. All but three — co-recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach Dennis Dottin-Carer, co-recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach Aaron Smith, and tight ends coach Corey Edsall — were informed their contracts would not be renewed beyond Jan. 14. Dottin-Carter, Smith and Corey Edsall were told their contracts will not be renewed beyond Jan. 25. <-

-> The letters did mention the possibility that the coaches could be hired by the next coach.“This decision is based on the recent change in Head Coach and you may be eligible for rehire or continuation at the discretion of the new Head Coach in consultation with me,” Benedict wrote. <-

some people - NAMELY MIKE DIMAURO - the BCgenius of our New London Day newspaper want you to believe that there is something wrong with what is described above. Nope. I am certain you can find this at Auburn or Tennessee or Buffalo last year: this is the Coaches world. You do not have employment with the next regime generally, In any sport. You are fired at will.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
some people - NAMELY MIKE DIMAURO - the BCgenius of our New London Day newspaper want you to believe that there is something wrong with what is described above. Nope. I am certain you can find this at Auburn or Tennessee or Buffalo last year: this is the Coaches world. You do not have employment with the next regime generally, In any sport. You are fired at will.
EXACTLY

Reaction Score

Im happy that Corey Edsall was kept. The fact that the recruits love him is important.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Im happy that Corey Edsall was kept. The fact that the recruits love him is important.

Yeah man. Kept a whole 3 days extra. That's huge.

The contracts for the rest of the staff ran through Jan. 14, 2022. All but three — co-recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach Dennis Dottin-Carer, co-recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach Aaron Smith, and tight ends coach Corey Edsall — were informed their contracts would not be renewed beyond Jan. 14. Dottin-Carter, Smith and Corey Edsall were told their contracts will not be renewed beyond Jan. 25.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom