UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach?

Reaction Score
Benedict knows he needs a homerun hire, first sign you're unhireable is if you want to keep any of these coaches on the staff.
It has nothing to do with keeping them. It’s doing the right thing and employing them until the job is done. The six month severance is a clause in their contracts. That, clock should start after the last game, not now. It becomes a three month severance. Do you believe that these guys are going to monitor academics, recruit and do all the detail waork expected of them. The stuff that each opposing staff will be doing? It’s gonna get historically ugly.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with keeping them. It’s doing the right thing and employing them until the job is done. The six month severance is a clause in their contracts. That, clock should start after the last game, not now. It becomes a three month severance. Do you believe that these guys are going to monitor academics, recruit and do all the detail waork expected of them. The stuff that each opposing staff will be doing? It’s gonna get historically ugly.
historically ugly? ha- already been done.

recruiting? already was in a tough spot when a new HC is pending.

you can't possibly set the program back further than it is now.

next coach will have a busy jan/feb.

Reaction Score
Not standard at all. Cheap. Good luck with recruiting. I’m sure the staff is just burning up the phone lines working late on recruits. This is going to redefine “UGLY”
Honestly, if we lose recruits, how much worse can the results be on the field? The margins of defeat is 7 points more than current? We pretty much need a miracle hire. I'm open to a down on his luck coach looking for a chance at personal and football redemption at this point.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This is an unprecedented move by DB. It sheds the worst light on the program. It screams minor league.
Really? Because it kind of screams “accountability” to me.

As a sidenote, why is it the people with the lowest post count who always seem perpetually outraged at whatever our program does?

Reaction Score
Randy or someone on the staff leaked this....on purpose.
@Exit 4 ... Absolutely no attack you bring a lot to the forum. Having said that one should provide a link or source of information when accusing people of leaked information. This type of thing puts one into the same play pen as DiMaruro .....

Again no personal attack here but anyone that follows the game knows what is taking place, players, coaches and recruits know it is simply standard operating procedure. Nobody is leaking anything, its just a matter of which step of the process is made public for those that don't already get it.

The only thing leaking is us old fhhats that have to hit the men's room twice a quarter after tailgating. ;)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
@Exit 4 ... Absolutely no attack you bring a lot to the forum. Having said that one should provide a link or source of information when accusing people of leaked information. This type of thing puts one into the same play pen as DiMaruro .....

Again no personal attack here but anyone that follows the game knows what is taking place, players, coaches and recruits know it is simply standard operating procedure. Nobody is leaking anything, its just a matter of which step of the process is made public for those that don't already get it.

The only thing leaking is us old fhhats that have to hit the men's room twice a quarter after tailgating. ;)
I’m not going to bother attempting to address all your points.
On “leaking” - maybe that was a poor word choice. How about if I had used the word “nudge”? Does it read better now?

I’m sure ole Randy nudged DiMauro to put this semi sleeping dog out there. Just like DiMauro answered the call a short time ago to advance Randy’s case that overzealous high academic standards are also to blame for his failures.

Leaked is a poor word- all I think Randy did was remind DiMauro there was something more to stir in public.

Reaction Score
The six month severance is a clause in their contracts. That, clock should start after the last game, not now. It becomes a three month severance.
This interpretation doesn't seem correct. The contract has an "and/or" clause regarding notice and compensation:

According to DiMauro's story, "The coaches, per the sources, will be given six months' severance pay". This is in compliance with the "and/or" clause in the contract. This is pretty generous. When I was laid off, I got one week of severance pay for every year that I worked.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

As a sidenote, why is it the people with the lowest post count who always seem perpetually outraged at whatever our program does?
Because it is the affected person posting. Now we just have to figure out which coach.

By the way, if I was as bad at my job as these coaches, I am not collecting a 6 month severance.

Reaction Score
1. It seems pretty clear that the coaches get 6 months of severance pay from the date of termination (other than 1st year coaches). There would be little reason to nickel and dime around the edges as some project.

2. When you clean house, it means you inevitably throw out some good with the bad. Yes, we are going to lose recruits, and we might also lose a few players to the portal. Cleaning house is painful and done out of necessity.

3. I tend to agree that if AD Dave gave them notice prematurely, it was needlessly harmful and demotivating to the staff trying to salvage something and keep unity. But, unless the interim staff literally pulls a miracle out of the hat with at least 4 or 5 wins, they have no shot and they must know that. Anybody on that staff must view this as an interview for their next landing spot. It’s a nance to burnish their resume by showing turn around capability.

4. My impression is AD Dave is not a total box of rocks, so whatever was done was done with a purpose. This sounds like it’s coming from somebody with sour grapes. DiMauro’s reference to recruit calls might give a clue.

Reaction Score
I would bet this is pretty standard practice. And I suspect ADDave wants a guy in place, at least named by the early recruiting signing day.

Who thinks USC’s coaches expect to be back next season? Anyone? Bueller?

Reaction Score
Strange how kids remain firmly committed to a program that manages to find a way to descend further and further every week past even our own expectations. Then the school makes a decision to remove the staff responsible for the issue and suddenly the recruits have a Come to Jesus moment about whether they really want to go or not? Imagine AD pulls an ace and lands someone like Moorhead, recruits are really going to say "Gee, I dunno Wally. I made a promise to Edsall."?

Reaction Score
I would bet this is pretty standard practice. And I suspect ADDave wants a guy in place, at least named by the early recruiting signing day.

Who thinks USC’s coaches expect to be back next season? Anyone? Bueller?
Agreed. The issue is that Randy was gone so early in the season and AD David Benedict knew in order to salvage recruiting and get a staff in place these notifications needed to get out

Reaction Score
This interpretation doesn't seem correct. The contract has an "and/or" clause regarding notice and compensation:

According to DiMauro's story, "The coaches, per the sources, will be given six months' severance pay". This is in compliance with the "and/or" clause in the contract. This is pretty generous. When I was laid off, I got one week of severance pay for every year that I worked.

You got more than me. I had to take a 401k loan for my severance.

Reaction Score

DiMauro is that you?

Reaction Score

Well there you go! He appears on the former flagship station of UConn Athletics, spewing sour grapes. That station has a political bent & is no longer listened to be a majority of the State's population. (It DOES, though, get the ear of entities that wish to de-emphasize or eliminate UConn Football)
TWIT!

Reaction Score
This is much ado about nothing..

1.) I think all these assistant coaches knew they weren't being retained by the school regardless, there are very few cases (and it only happens with coaches on thin ice) where the AD hires the assistant coaches.

2.) By not officially providing notice until the end of the season, the school is in effect providing them with 6 months extra salary. Otherwise the school could easily provide official notice now, force these guys to work and get nothing more at the end of 6 months from this date.

3.) Recruiting was always going to be dicey. I don't know that it was Edsall who would've clued in DiMauro in on the contract clause or other former UConn coaches who were going to have interest in recruiting UConn commits; but it was always going to come up that some recruits would be bailing when their recruiter was cut loose. It was already being used on the recruiting trail.. but having a reporter claim that it was "official" makes it more damaging.

4.) DiMauro was selected as the source for a reason, he and his anti-UConn bias would be sure to try to make this into something that was shocking and irregular. Most reporters would've ignored it for that reason.

Reaction Score
This is an unprecedented move by DB. It sheds the worst light on the program. It screams minor league. The College Football Coaches Association should issue a statement on all of this. The HC steps out with a golden parachute and allows the AD to start the expiration clock on these coaches, including the former HC’s kid. A six month severance turns into 3 months. Shameful. Big league programs do not oper like this.. Fact: Dave Benedict inherited a football program coming off a bowl game. He is the ONLY constant in this 5 year fiasco. Spin THAT any wat you’d like. Wake up, this place is DOOMED with this AD.
Every big league program operates this way. I mean Warde hired Ollie and Diaco and still got the job at Michigan. AD Dave's hands were tied mostly by the BoT's who have been screwing the whole school over for decades now. The school has the money to hire and pay a coach that'll be successful, but AD Dave doesn't get the money because the BoT's are all on the jock of basketball that they fail to see that without football we are no more than a very good mid-major program.

Reaction Score
Not standard at all. Cheap. Good luck with recruiting. I’m sure the staff is just burning up the phone lines working late on recruits. This is going to redefine “UGLY”
Lol the staff already cant recruit. Have you seen the kids on the field? Why would we want anyone these guys have brought in? Good riddance.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Lol the staff already cant recruit. Have you seen the kids on the field? Why would we want anyone these guys have brought in? Good riddance.
Any indication of a recruiting #uptick for the last 11 years has been a false positive. The idea that a new staff can’t clear the bar that’s already set so low is very on brand for the Boneyard.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am perpetually in limbo between amazed and bemused when a human takes time out their day to visit this board, read a thread, take the time write a response and be ignorant as some are in this thread.

How can you be interested enough in college football and more specifically UConn football and not know asst. coaches employment are tethered to the HC's employment and they will be let go as soon as the season is over?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am perpetually in limbo between amazed and bemused when a human takes time out their day to visit this board, read a thread, take the time write a response and be ignorant as some are in this thread.

How can you be interested enough in college football and more specifically UConn football and not know asst. coaches employment are tethered to the HC's employment and they will be let go as soon as the season is over?

Also include those who put finger to keyboard and type "hey losing the HC and the assistants who recruited players might impact the recruits decsion to attend UConn and re-open their recruiting".

Next thing you know they'll wank about water being wet. Every football program loses recruits when the staff that recruited them is canned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom