UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Football clearing the decks for next Coach?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's a very generous severance package. It sucks when anyone loses their job and I hope they all land somewhere quickly.

To me this sounds like they have their guy lined up and are in the process of getting him here and ready for next year.
I don’t know if that’s true, but I’d like to think it is.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have an honest question to you WestCoastHusky and anyone else: Even if the new coach is named soon and it saves the current recruiting class, shouldn't the new coach hit the transfer portal and the JUCO circuit hard? This is assuming admissions lowers the academic standards to allow this on some level. This team is short on talent. What degree is the talent deficit? I am not sure, but it's deficient all right.
Yes. I want an OL full of grad transfers next season

Reaction Score
Yeah, wonder how many knew these facts and just felt it wasn't news worthy?
First of all, if your on the staff what do you think the odds are you will be here next year? Only way there is a chance is if the team wins 4 -5 games by November. Even if that happened how many coaches would still be retained. I haven’t seen it but would assume they have an opportunity to apply for new staff. In today’s
world better to lay everything out in writing. The 6 month severance is a pretty good deal.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
First of all, if your on the staff what do you think the odds are you will be here next year? Only way there is a chance is if the team wins 4 -5 games by November. Even if that happened how many coaches would still be retained. I haven’t seen it but would assume they have an opportunity to apply for new staff. In today’s
world better to lay everything out in writing. The 6 month severance is a pretty good deal.
Have you read my posts? Not sure why you are responding directly to me.

Reaction Score
This numnutz writes an article and doesn’t ask UConn for a response. Total hit job

Oh he got a response:

->.The sources said the university is acting in compliance with contract language. If the head coach leaves or is terminated (as Randy Edsall was recently), first-year coaches must be notified of their impending termination within three months and compensated with three months' pay. Other coaches must be notified within six months and compensated for six months. The sources said coaches will be notified officially this week via a letter from the university.

"The information tweeted (by The Day) regarding the coaches being told they would not be returning for next year is inaccurate," University spokesperson Pat McKenna wrote in an e-mail. "The coaches are under contract and that contract, along with any relevant obligations under the collective bargaining agreement, will be honored."

One coach, who did not want to speak for the record in fear of retribution, said he understands the contract stipulations, but is "disappointed (the university) won't give us a chance this year to win some games and then have a conversation." <-

Reaction Score
Not a single position group has stood out so far. I had high hopes for the DL.
We knew going into this season that OL and the secondary was going to areas of concern. I was hoping that our DL would be very good. In some ways the play of our defensive line has disappointed me the more than any other position group.

Reaction Score
Not trying to knock any of these coaches but the majority are punching way above their weight class in their current positions at Uconn. Some will find employment at the G5 or FCS Level, but a few may be out of the game entirely or dropped to even lower levels of the game needing to work their way back up. No coach worth his salt is keeping any of these guys on their staff.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure the administration has seen all they need to see from these coaches. You can't make chicken salad from chicken......well you know the rest.

Reaction Score
This board is the only place who doesn't know this is happening and yes it applies to Spanos, none of them are coming back and of course they won't give up on the season. They know the deal and they know they need to show some level of competence for future employment.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Assistant coaches effectively serve at the pleasure of the Head Coach. If a new Head Coach is hired, I doubt existing staff have 30% chance of keeping a position - if there is a pre-existing relationship with the new hire. Either way I assume that assistant coaches are trying out for their next job every week. You never know when your HC gets a better offer & maybe he does not take you with him. This was a non-story.

Last regular season weekend is Nov25-Nov27. Early signing day is Dec15. I assume that 95% of our candidates are currently a HC or OC/DC elsewhere. Do we have a new coach before the 27th? Or is it interviews Monday - Wednesday with new coach Dec 1 or 2?

Reaction Score
This board is the only place who doesn't know this is happening and yes it applies to Spanos, none of them are coming back and of course they won't give up on the season. They know the deal and they know they need to show some level of competence for future employment.
Well a few here and Mike:

Reaction Score
This guy man. What new coach is going to keep this group of coaches? Maybe one guy gets kept but its pretty standard for coaches to come in with their whole new crew.
They follow the prescribed notification language in the AAUP contract for this scenario - they get ripped by someone in the media. They don’t follow the prescribed notification language in the AAUP contract for this scenario and incur unnecessary expense they get ripped by someone in the media. No win.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They follow the prescribed notification language in the AAUP contract for this scenario - they get ripped by someone in the media. They don’t follow the prescribed notification language in the AAUP contract for this scenario and incur unnecessary expense they get ripped by someone in the media. No win.
this X1000

And the same "reporter" would be the one doing the ripping

Reaction Score
Well a few here and Mike:

Every college football or college basketball program have decommits when there is a coaching change. It’s expected. And, wouldn’t recruits want to see who the new coach is and wouldn’t the new coach want to make sure the existing recruits fit his system? Isn’t that how Tim Boyle ended up at UConn after the coaching change at BC? DiMauro is a troll and I’m surprised a CT newspaper employs him.

Reaction Score
This guy man. What new coach is going to keep this group of coaches? Maybe one guy gets kept but its pretty standard for coaches to come in with their whole new crew.
Benedict knows he needs a homerun hire, first sign you're unhireable is if you want to keep any of these coaches on the staff.

Reaction Score
Good - need a clean slate.

Hope there are more good changes coming such as:
  • increasing head coaching salary allotment
  • increasing assistant coach salary pool
  • relaxing admission standards for the football program
This is an unprecedented move by DB. It sheds the worst light on the program. It screams minor league. The College Football Coaches Association should issue a statement on all of this. The HC steps out with a golden parachute and allows the AD to start the expiration clock on these coaches, including the former HC’s kid. A six month severance turns into 3 months. Shameful. Big league programs do not oper like this.. Fact: Dave Benedict inherited a football program coming off a bowl game. He is the ONLY constant in this 5 year fiasco. Spin THAT any wat you’d like. Wake up, this place is DOOMED with this AD.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom