OT: - UCONN FINTECH Offering | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: UCONN FINTECH Offering

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just changed it, but most likely we're looking for someone just out of school or with a few years experience.
Understood. Just seen loose language choices result in frivolous claims too many times. Even "recent graduate" unless tied to a non age-related reason.

Reaction Score
This sort of reminds me of going to parties in my old suburban town. You'd meet someone, and they would eventually ask you what you did. So I told them - it was a straight forward traditional non-financial/ non-legal job.
Naturally I'd then ask them what they did. Frequently they would go into a somewhat lengthy monologue. I'd ask a few questions, which would prompt more lengthy explanation.

Most of the time, when it was over, I never did have a clue about what they actually did.

Reaction Score
Most of the time, when it was over, I never did have a clue about what they actually did.
Sure, but did you let alone others have a clue what you actually did? With still-challenged recollections of a past dynamic role with frequent changing responsibilities and multiple upward reporting lines, I jest.

Reaction Score
I've wondered about trying to get into fintech. I've 15 years experience at MSPs doing network systems administration (and putting smiles on clients' faces). Not a ton of programming, mainly Powershell, but I've dabbled enough in Python, Ruby, etc. It's not that hard to learn once you've got a background and understand the theory of it. And I mined LTC for a few years so I've got the blockchain/crypto thing down.

Seems like there's no consistent skillset required to get into the industry.

Reaction Score
I've wondered about trying to get into fintech. I've 15 years experience at MSPs doing network systems administration (and putting smiles on clients' faces). Not a ton of programming, mainly Powershell, but I've dabbled enough in Python, Ruby, etc. It's not that hard to learn once you've got a background and understand the theory of it. And I mined LTC for a few years so I've got the blockchain/crypto thing down.

Seems like there's no consistent skillset required to get into the industry.
You just need to have some sort of STEM skill. I was in product development for a large fintech and we had engineers, finance, stats, MIS, etc type of backgrounds for developers. They mainly just look for problem solving ability...if you're good at math and decent at coding (depending on the role), you can easily land a job.

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about fintech, but I know about programming. In my opinion, there's no need to spend a ton of time on different languages in school. Chances are you'll specialize once you're out in the field, so any time spent learning unused languages could have been more beneficially used elsewhere. I did almost no coding in college, and do tons of coding now. There is a learning curve for every language and platform, but at the end of the day, coding is coding.
So my Fortran and Z80 assembly code is still relevant?

Reaction Score
So my Fortran and Z80 assembly code is still relevant?
The code itself? Doubt it. But you a.) demonstrated an aptitude in learning and using those back then and b.) learned things about coding through learning and using those that are applicable to any other language you might want to use.

I know you were just making a joke. I just thought the serious answer was relevant to the discussion.

Reaction Score
The code itself? Doubt it. But you a.) demonstrated an aptitude in learning and using those back then and b.) learned things about coding through learning and using those that are applicable to any other language you might want to use.

I know you were just making a joke. I just thought the serious answer was relevant to the discussion.
I believe programmers are born, not taught. It’s a whole group of skills that you need if you’re going to be successful at it. Maybe it’s just my adult ADD that gave me problems. I was always much better at troubleshooting someone else’s code.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom