Uconn fans outside northeast | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Uconn fans outside northeast

Reaction Score
Winnipesaukee NH is home but Fort Lauderdale Jan to April. Unusual sight on the short street into my marina, is a Butler banner in front of a house. What are the chances that someone would let their Butler fandom be publicly known. @rgw, wasn't the Burrell play at the civic center? I'm too lazy to look it up. Bokampers bar on the intracoastal with 200-300 of your closest friends is a great ncaa tournament bar. Last year's St Peters vs KY was wild with 100 KY fans and everybody else routing for the upset. Spring break brings the energy to mix with alums. I came closer yesterday to getting every game perfectly wrong rather than right. Illinois - wrong, West Virginia - wrong, Charleston - wrong, Arizona - wrong, Virginia - wrong, .... Unfortunately for Boneyarders, I picked UConn over Iona. Clearly I risk being hung.
My first thought was "that play was at the Civic Center"... I believe you are correct.

Reaction Score
My handle locates me, but more specifically, I am in Oxnard CA which is on the coast halfway between LA and Santa Barbara. Been here for 32 years now. People see my Husky gear here and they say, oh Washington! (because PAC12) I say, UConn and they say, ah, Alaska! SMH
I need to comment on this. I lived in LA for 10 years. When I told people I went to uconn about 1/2 of them would say "isn't it cold in alaska?". I was in shock

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I just came off the golf course at LaEstancia de Cafayate in the high Andes of Argentina Malbec wine country. On the 7th hole (a tough par 5) a giant Condor swooped down and screeched during my putt. My old Inca caddy Atoc told me that was a sign of very good luck. Opened another long neck bottle of Otro Mundo Strong Red Ale and smiled. Dar los puntos.

Tuesday I played Pawleys Plantation. It's a Nicklaus signature course. On the 10th hole I hit my tee shot and as our group was tracking it, a red tail hawk flew across the fairway with a squirrel in its talons. Hawk landed on a tree branch and went to town on the squirrel. Hadn't ever seen that before.

Reaction Score
Flying the flag at 7,000 ft up in the San Juans in SW Colorado. People who work in the local hardawre store and a couple other places are from CT, and have struck up conversation when I'm wearing UConn gear - mainly girls or women who are aware of the womens' BB team. But haven't yet run into another local alum (talked to one visiting and skiing at Telluride once).
Beautiful area, love driving to southwest Colorado.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Grew up in Morris, CT, but live in Virginia now. Have converted a few people. It's cool because one of the youth b-ball coaches here started watching UConn games this year. He loves Karaban and the fact that he doesn't flop. He doesn't teach players to flop. He has them stand up and take the hit even if they get blasted back. His biggest gripe with refs is rewarding players for flopping and playing 'weak a-- basketball' as he puts it. He points out that it's hard fake taking a hit, going backwards and staying on your feet. It's awkward to do and awkward to look at.
Is that you Chuck?

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
FC7EA115-DEEC-410C-8FDC-48722A740FBE.jpeg

Checking in from sunny St Augustine, FL!

Reaction Score
Tuesday I played Pawleys Plantation. It's a Nicklaus signature course. On the 10th hole I hit my tee shot and as our group was tracking it, a red tail hawk flew across the fairway with a squirrel in its talons. Hawk landed on a tree branch and went to town on the squirrel. Hadn't ever seen that before.

There is a long history of hawks and golf. The red backed hawk is used at the starters tee at St Andrews to scare off gulls because they will go after any food that the spectators are carrying.

Here is a good course for you to try. In the winter of course. Arelauquen Golf & Country Club – Golf & Country Club You can get some great fly fishing too on The Rio Limay not far to the west off of Lago Neuquen. Huge trout. Quite an adventure even with a guide. Argentina is really cheap now. A fire sale. You just have to understand the Blue Market for currency exchange.

Reaction Score
Is that you Chuck?
Sorry, but no. I use to live 2 minutes from. Use to walk by his house down to the corner gas station/convenience store. He went through the schools about 20 years before I did. Did play in some pickup games at open gym with him. I remember throwing a no look bullet pass and hearing the smack of it hitting his face. I was afraid he was going to be mad. He just told me it was a great pass and he should have had his hands up. Just seemed liked a nice and gracious guy.

Reaction Score
Marietta, GA

I wear UConn gear into my office in Atlanta at least once a week and have received 2 comments I can recall in 7 years. One guy was a Syracuse transplant who reminisced with me about the old days…. the other asked “who is that, the wolves?”

It’s all college football down here. Hopefully we’re on the way (back) to national relevance there soon.
I’ve seen a lot of UConn fans in ATL. Walking out side my apartment there’s a huge UConn flag in the window in Decatur. Two buildings I’ve lived in and each had 5 cars with CT plates.

Reaction Score
Grew up in Morris, CT, but live in Virginia now. Have converted a few people. It's cool because one of the youth b-ball coaches here started watching UConn games this year. He loves Karaban and the fact that he doesn't flop. He doesn't teach players to flop. He has them stand up and take the hit even if they get blasted back. His biggest gripe with refs is rewarding players for flopping and playing 'weak a-- basketball' as he puts it. He points out that it's hard fake taking a hit, going backwards and staying on your feet. It's awkward to do and awkward to look at.
Morris To Atlanta. Actually Lakeside to ATL

Reaction Score
Hit a shot into the woods at Goodwin Park in Hartford and a Hawk took out a squirrel while I was looking for the ball, asked my brother if somebody had hit into us before I saw the Hawk.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Late to the party in Dublin, Ohio. My son made me wait until 9:30 pm to watch the game until he got home from work. Do you know how hard to disconnect it is in this day and age? Had to turn off all of my alerts.

Was happy to see a UConn flag flying outside a house in my town. My wife thought I was an idiot yelling look... look! My 14-year-old daughter had a good time laughing at me.

Reaction Score
Flying the flag at 7,000 ft up in the San Juans in SW Colorado. People who work in the local hardawre store and a couple other places are from CT, and have struck up conversation when I'm wearing UConn gear - mainly girls or women who are aware of the womens' BB team. But haven't yet run into another local alum (talked to one visiting and skiing at Telluride once).
I just moved to Durango in September. Loving this area.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Leeds, England, UK
Post/handle

In 7 hrs, I'll be on the yoga mat in Logan Street Market in Louisville, KY.

Over the past 15 months with a primarily close-to-home & light recreational life, I've been wearing an extended visitor's limited wardrobe with long & short-sleeved tees, sweatshirt, hoodie, and baseball cap while shopping Costco/TJs/Aldi/Kroger, morning walking club at the Zoo or across the Big Four Bridge at sunsets & full moonrise, several branches of the YMCA & LFPL, and traversing the maturely-treed streets of Audubon Park with or without granddaughter and/or daughter.

90% of what's around me is UK & UofL gear, though see a Marquette flag up in the neighborhood in the past week.

Whatever small number of comments gets generated by my clothes is friendly. The best was good-natured teasing by an Emergency Department nurse who introduced himself by saying with a smiling nod at my shirt, "I don't know if I can attend to you, sir," then laughing with me in before setting me up nicely in an examination/procedure room in early December.

I did take myself off-route once when I'd come upon & joined a group bike ride in NuLu, but then broke off to unsuccessfully chase a Jeep with a Husky cover on the rear-mounted spare tire.

Reaction Score
I am 29 miles from the Trop home of 77 to 74!!
1) I was at 77-74 yay
2) I now "winter" in Houston....2 miles from the Trop
3) Round 2? I've got the pool, the grills, big screen outdoor TV, frisbee/wiffle ball etc. green space
4) Better believe I'm throwing a BY/UConn alumni assoc party when it happens - Ed, bring ice :)
5) Sacreds and grilled chow on me

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
1) I was at 77-74 yay
2) I now "winter" in Houston....2 miles from the Trop
3) Round 2? I've got the pool, the grills, big screen outdoor TV, frisbee/wiffle ball etc. green space
4) Better believe I'm throwing a BY/UConn alumni assoc party when it happens - Ed, bring ice :)
5) Sacreds and grilled chow on me

GO HUSKIES!!!
OK. I was at the Trop; but I am 2 miles from Minute Maid and 3 from NRG. There. That's better.
Tourney game day + St. Patrick's Day + Friday. Man...still a little rough around the edges.

Reaction Score
I live in Glendale Arizona and I have my UConn flag in the TV room window. All my neighbors have commented about it.
I'll be in Fountain Hills this week! My in-laws are huge sports fans and NDSU alum and former season ticket holders but have adopted UConn as one of their favorite programs, thanks to me.

As boomers, naturally, they watch the women's team more, but we'll be locked in on Thursday afternoon.

Any recommendations in the Phoenix/Scottsdale/Mesa area for this week? Or, any cool places to check out within an hour drive? @AZHuskiePop, you too!

Reaction Score
Hickory, NC. The locals tell you to say you are an NC State fan if you are not sure if it is a UNC or Duke crowd… screw that.. go huskies!

Hickory is a great small city. Two of my BILs live in the area. I've probably downed 30 milkshakes from the Cookout in Hickory over the years. I'll hit you up if I'm ever in town and there's a UConn game going on.

If you ever need a decent mechanic or a used car, hit me up!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom