Uconn fans outside northeast | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uconn fans outside northeast

Reaction Score
Throwing my hat in the Nashville area group (Spring Hill, TN). I’ve found some conversationalists while wearing UConn gear at Home Depot and Kroger recently here in town. They’re around, though not often do I run across them. Most here are Kentucky fans, so it’s probably hard for them to find something positive to talk about with a UConn fan! My Rush shirts are probably my biggest convo starters oddly enough to me.

Reaction Score
Throwing my hat in the Nashville area group (Spring Hill, TN). I’ve found some conversationalists while wearing UConn gear at Home Depot and Kroger recently here in town. They’re around, though not often do I run across them. Most here are Kentucky fans, so it’s probably hard for them to find something positive to talk about with a UConn fan! My Rush shirts are probably my biggest convo starters oddly enough to me.
Probably Lynyrd Skynryd would be good too.

Reaction Score
I used to be a UConn fan in Northern California. Ran in to almost no UConn fans, but several Whalers fans. Kind of strange really. But I found very few big fans of college sports at all.

Here in metro Boston, plenty of UConn alumni and fans but they aren't very organized. UConn Alumni Association has a watch location at "The Greatest Bar" in Boston, which is a terrible bar and hard to get to for anyone not in the city itself. We need a metro-west group.
The Cask used to be my go to for UConn games when living in the city. Been out in the metro since 2013. With that in mind I watched the Marquette game @ the cask last week, and was truly disappointed. They have a hundred tvs sprinkled throughout, tuned to 3 programs, and only 2 live sports events. Nobody in the bar was watching any of it, and still the bartender took an hour to tune one of the TVs to the UConn game. And that was after, an hour before the game started, someone from my party told him we were there specifically to watch the game. The Cask is now the perfect metaphor for the Fenway Group.

Reaction Score
Been living on Florida's Gold Coast between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale for the last 25 years. I have tons of t-shirts and some sweatshirts (for "winter") that I wear all the time. When I'm out walking at one of the touristy spots on the Hollywood Broadwalk wearing UConn gear, people shout out "UConn!" all the time. You can always find CBB fans in the seaside bars that want to talk basketball, too.

True Story: A guy who hadn't followed BE basketball in a while asked me who was in the conference now. I came up with only ten schools --proud to say I got all the midwest schools -- but couldn't come up with the 11th right away. Then I remembered -- Providence! I always seem to forget about them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm in Myrtle Beach this week as well with a group playing golf.

The UConn golf team is in the area right now. I saw them yesterday on the southern end of Myrtle on Pawleys Island at True Blue on Wednesday.

The northeast presence is strong in this area. Run in to people from Northeast everywhere we go.

I'm out on western panhandle of Florida on the gulf coast. From Destin to Fort Walton Beach, Navarre, Pensacola Beach, Gulf Breeze, Perdido Key, FL and Orange Beach and Gulf Shorea, AL there are plenty of CT license plates.

I just came off the golf course at LaEstancia de Cafayate in the high Andes of Argentina Malbec wine country. On the 7th hole (a tough par 5) a giant Condor swooped down and screeched during my putt. My old Inca caddy Atoc told me that was a sign of very good luck. Opened another long neck bottle of Otro Mundo Strong Red Ale and smiled. Dar los puntos.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I just came off the golf course at LaEstancia de Cafayate in the high Andes of Argentina Malbec wine country. On the 7th hole (a tough par 5) a giant Condor swooped down and screeched during my putt. My old Inca caddy Atoc told me that was a sign of very good luck. Opened another long neck bottle of Otro Mundo Strong Red Ale and smiled. Toma los puntos.
That's a charmed life for sure, but unless that condor was wearing an AJax jersey, Atoc's interpretation seems very vague.

Reaction Score
I live 42 miles south Tropicana Field. I deliver for UPS during "Peak season" aka "the holidays" and see Husky flags, shirts and hats everywhere. I have a few Husky basketball stickers on my car which always starts a conversation.
We call that Sarasota around these parts

Reaction Score
Flagstaff, AZ
Mostly U of AZ and ASU fans around here. I’ve won a lot of game bets with local AZ fans, and I somehow won a few local bracket pools in 2011 & 2014. I also was able to watch Okafor beast on Alabama in 2004 during the West Regional in PHX.
2004. The UConn Invitational. Blow out after blow out except the semi where Emeka was out all but 2 minutes of the first half.
Turned out the last 4 minutes of the game were gut wrenching for the Dookies..............Yay.

Reaction Score
I have been in Corpus Christi Texas the past two weeks. I was invited by a group of people I met to have dinner and drinks at the bar not far from where I was staying. I had to decline because there was just no way I was going to miss the BET UConn Marquette game live. Turns out they had a great time and mentioned the game was on there. Never occurred to me that anyone would be interested in a Uconn Marquette game down here.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I just came off the golf course at LaEstancia de Cafayate in the high Andes of Argentina Malbec wine country. On the 7th hole (a tough par 5) a giant Condor swooped down and screeched during my putt. My old Inca caddy Atoc told me that was a sign of very good luck. Opened another long neck bottle of Otro Mundo Strong Red Ale and smiled. Dar los puntos.

Not for this thread but I once was a looper for the Dali Lama.

Big hitter the Lama.

Reaction Score
Marietta, GA

I wear UConn gear into my office in Atlanta at least once a week and have received 2 comments I can recall in 7 years. One guy was a Syracuse transplant who reminisced with me about the old days…. the other asked “who is that, the wolves?”

It’s all college football down here. Hopefully we’re on the way (back) to national relevance there soon.

Reaction Score
Grew up in Morris, CT, but live in Virginia now. Have converted a few people. It's cool because one of the youth b-ball coaches here started watching UConn games this year. He loves Karaban and the fact that he doesn't flop. He doesn't teach players to flop. He has them stand up and take the hit even if they get blasted back. His biggest gripe with refs is rewarding players for flopping and playing 'weak a-- basketball' as he puts it. He points out that it's hard fake taking a hit, going backwards and staying on your feet. It's awkward to do and awkward to look at.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I was at McSorley’s last weekend being a city tourist, some guy came in and asked for a red ale. The bartender told him to get out.

Reaction Score
Got the UConn flags up at our store and on our house and I’m leaving my phone home, recording the game and then waiting till the family comes home and watch the game around 11:00 at night and hopefully nobody screws it up, by knowing the score and letting it slip out.

Reaction Score
Got the UConn flags up at our store and on our house and I’m leaving my phone home, recording the game and then waiting till the family comes home and watch the game around 11:00 at night and hopefully nobody screws it up, by knowing the score and letting it slip out.
Lots of UConn and FGCU fans down here in Fort Myers, ( mostly the women’s teams fans because the FGCU team is always great ).

Reaction Score
I'm in Banner Elk NC.
Daughter is a 2019 App St grad. Love Boone, love the entire area. Beautiful country!
I’m in Dunedin, FL. Get stopped a lot while representing. In conversations with these strangers, I’ve met several people who know my wife’s family in Groton. Also met brother of a HS friend of my wife... crazy small world.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Since Nova’s season has essentially been over for weeks, I’ve successfully converted several fellow hockey dads over to Husky fans for the tourney down here in eastern PA. My kid’s friends are all rooting for us as well.

Haven’t met many other UConn fans around here but a lot of people with some sort of connection to Connecticut in general either via marriage or prior jobs.

Reaction Score
Winnipesaukee NH is home but Fort Lauderdale Jan to April. Unusual sight on the short street into my marina, is a Butler banner in front of a house. What are the chances that someone would let their Butler fandom be publicly known. @rgw, wasn't the Burrell play at the civic center? I'm too lazy to look it up. Bokampers bar on the intracoastal with 200-300 of your closest friends is a great ncaa tournament bar. Last year's St Peters vs KY was wild with 100 KY fans and everybody else routing for the upset. Spring break brings the energy to mix with alums. I came closer yesterday to getting every game perfectly wrong rather than right. Illinois - wrong, West Virginia - wrong, Charleston - wrong, Arizona - wrong, Virginia - wrong, .... Unfortunately for Boneyarders, I picked UConn over Iona. Clearly I risk being hung.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom