Men - UConn Fall Baseball 2021 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Fall Baseball 2021

Reaction Score

-> The Huskies will play two fall exhibition games with a Friday, October 8 matchup against Niagara CC at 6 p.m. at Elliot Ballpark and followed up by another home contest on Saturday, October 16 against URI at 1 p.m. Admission is free. <-

Figures, my oldest son has 14U games during both times. Guess we'll have to try and catch a game in the spring.

Reaction Score
A UConn baseball Walk-On Tryout for interested UConn students takes place tonight. We'll see what if anything comes of it.

Reaction Score
Something unusual has happened. A UConn baseball fall roster has been posted on the UConn athletics website. While it may have happened before, I just can't remember when. Usually a UConn baseball roster isn't posted on the website until sometime during the winter.

If I counted right, there are 47 players currently on the fall ball roster.

One additional freshman then previously reported on the recruiting thread is on the roster. Joe Carrea, a RHP from New Jersey.

Kenny Campbell is back for another go at UConn baseball. I was thinking he had graduated.

Todd Petersen was reported over the summer to be in the transfer portal. Guess nothing happened there, as he is listed on the fall ball roster.

Zach Donahue is also back on the 2021 fall ball roster after not being on the spring roster last season.

Most surprising player not on the fall ball roster is Will Lucas. Andy Hague is not on either, but I was under the impression that he was moving on after graduating from UConn.

Here is the roster as it currently appears on the UConn Athletics website:

2021 Fall Baseball Roster
#FULL NAMEHT.WT.B/TPOS.YEARHOMETOWN
34Brady Afthim6-0180RHPFr.Windham, ME
15Hector Alejandro6-1225RHPSo.Waterbury, Conn.
13Phoenix Billings6-1191INF/OFSo.Madison, Conn.
30Chris Brown6-3221INFSo.Trumbull, Conn.
8Zach Bushling5-7176INFSr.Lake Isabella, Calif.
37Kenny Campbell6-3211RHPR-Sr.Brick, N.J.
Joe Carrea6-2RHPFr.Cranford, N.J.
24Cole Chudoba6-2200RHPGr.Oxford, CT
38Garrett Coe6-6256LHPSo.Lakeside, Conn.
Ramsey Collins5-11185RHPFr.Oakton, Va.
22Ian Cooke6-1215RHPFr.New Milford, CT
21Reggie Crawford6-4235LHP/1BSo.Frackville, Pa.
9Casey Dana6-4215OF/INFGr.Montgomery, N.Y.
6Zach Donahue5-10153INF/OFR-Fr.South Windsor, CT
43Matt Donlan6-3213CR-Jr.Guilford, Conn.
53Thomas Ellisen6-4190RHP/INFFr.Kimberly, WI
23Sam Favieri5-11206RHPSo.Ridgewood, N.J.
7Christian Fedko5-10175R/RINFSr.Gibsonia, Pa.
12Kevin Ferrer5-9199R/ROFR-So.Pawcatuck, Conn.
54Jackson Ferrigno5-11170INFFr.Farmington, Conn.
42Pat Gallagher6-0196RHPSo.Leominster, Mass.
5Matt Garbowski6-0210C/INFFr.New Fairfield, CT
44Ben Huber6-32451B/LHPGr.Pendleton, S.C.
2Ryan Hyde6-1189CSo.Berlin, Conn.
50Devin Kirby5-10220RHPSr.Ukiah, Calif.
48Mason Kolean6-3180LHPR-So.Clarkston, Mich.
45Curren Larson5-8155RHPJr.Irvine, Calif.
39Bobby McBride6-2193RHPSo.Brewster, N.Y.
4Korey Morton6-1177OFSo.Norwalk, Conn.
20Brendan O'Donnell6-2228LHP/1BSo.Hull, Mass.
1Bryan Padilla5-10200INFSo.Brooklyn, N.Y.
32Mitchell Pascarella6-0191RHP/INFFr.Lakewood, N.Y.
52Jack Petersen6-3195INFFr.Sandy Hook, CT
27Todd Petersen6-6206INFSo.Newtown, Conn.
49Austin Peterson6-6234RHPSr.Chesterton, Ind.
25Craig Pihlkar6-5225RHPFr.East Northport, N.Y.
40Braden Quinn6-3210LHPFr.New Fairfield, CT
26T.C. Simmons6-0187OFR-Jr.El Cajon, Calif.
10David Smith5-11181INF/OFR-So.Collegeville, Pa.
51Leo Socci5-9184RHPSo.Stamford, Conn.
Enzo Stefanoni-RHPFr.Darien, CT
3Zach Stephenson6-0170OFFr.Mansfield, Mass.
47Erik Stock6-0211RHP/UTSr.Virginia Beach, Va.
18Jack Sullivan6-0180RHPFr.Carmel, N.Y.
31Jimmy Wang6-3224R/RRHPR-Jr.Beijing, China
36Justin Willis5-8202RHPSr.West New York, N.J.
11Joe Wozny6-1210RHPFr.Lake Grove, N.Y.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t remember Joe Carrea being officially committed to play baseball at UConn. Could he be a walk on? Also, Enzo Stefanoni from Harvard is probably a senior. It is indeed great to see a fall ball roster!!

Reaction Score
I don’t remember Joe Carrea being officially committed to play baseball at UConn. Could he be a walk on? Also, Enzo Stefanoni from Harvard is probably a senior. It is indeed great to see a fall ball roster!!

Stefanoni is a grad transfer, I am sure this will be corrected at some point. I would guess that Carrea is indeed a walk on. Usually there are a few incoming players we do not know about until the Alumni Game when we usually first see the fall ball roster. Only one unknown incoming player is rather amazing. Very few surprises at all with this roster, at least for me.

Reaction Score
The lineup has strength. Weekend starters has a big time #1 and depth. To me, the question is the bullpen. Lineup should be something like this:

Bushling (SS)
Simmons (CF)
Stock (RF)
Crawford (1B)
Fedko (2B)
Dana (LF or DH)
Ferrer or Huber (LF or DH)
Brown (3B)
Someone cathing. And if none of the catchers can hit, as long as they can catch the lineup should be able to carry a weak #9 bat, and the depth should be able to pinch hit there late in a close game.

Weekend starters looking like Peterson, Gallagher and from what we're reading Crawford. Stefananoni would be a strong #4, and then Wang and/or O'Donnell. And if Stefanoni is better than GAllagher, more power to him and to us.

But the bullpen is the question mark, where I don't remember entering the season with fewer answers than this. Willis is the only person you can count on. Can McBride and Coe throw strikes consistently? They both have arms if they can. Can Chudoba look like a Cape Cod league pitcher rather than a Division II pitcher. Can Campbell or O'Donnell or Favieri take it to the next level?

Even with the question at Catcher, I think the lineup and the starting pitching are more than enough to win the Big East. But being good enough to get an at large bid, if we need it, or making a run to get out of the first weekend of the NCAAs, is going to take a lot more answers in the bullpen.

Reaction Score
The lineup has strength. Weekend starters has a big time #1 and depth. To me, the question is the bullpen. Lineup should be something like this:

Bushling (SS)
Simmons (CF)
Stock (RF)
Crawford (1B)
Fedko (2B)
Dana (LF or DH)
Brown (3B)
Someone cathing. And if none of the catchers can hit, as long as they can catch the lineup should be able to carry a weak #9 bat, and the depth should be able to pinch hit there late in a close game.

Weekend starters looking like Peterson, Gallagher and from what we're reading Crawford. Stefananoni would be a strong #4, and then Wang and/or O'Donnell. And if Stefanoni is better than GAllagher, more power to him and to us.

But the bullpen is the question mark, where I don't remember entering the season with fewer answers than this. Willis is the only person you can count on. Can McBride and Coe throw strikes consistently? They both have arms if they can. Can Chudoba look like a Cape Cod league pitcher rather than a Division II pitcher. Can Campbell or O'Donnell or Favieri take it to the next level?

Even with the question at Catcher, I think the lineup and the starting pitching are more than enough to win the Big East. But being good enough to get an at large bid, if we need it, or making a run to get out of the first weekend of the NCAAs, is going to take a lot more answers in the bullpen.
I couldn’t agree more with that lineup. Could see guys like Bryan Padilla and Korey Morton getting some playing time as well. Hector Alejandro and Curren Larson could be good additions to the bullpen too but ur right there aren’t too many proven options in the bullpen besides Reggie and Willis. For the catcher, it will probably be Matt Donlan but Matt Garbowski seems to be a great option for the future

Reaction Score

Bushling (SS)
Simmons (CF)
Stock (RF)
Crawford (1B)
Fedko (2B)
Dana (LF or DH)
Brown (3B)

I mostly agree with this.

The one other guy who could possibly find himself in the lineup is David Smith, who could find himself in the lineup either in an infield or outfield position. He sounds like a versatile bench option. Ferrer and Huber I would expect to get some playing time as well. We'll see if any of the other position players on the roster make a big move forward, whether they are returning players or new to the team.

At this point it would surprise me if the following guys are not in the lineup pretty much every day:

Bushling
Simmons
Stock
Crawford
Fedko
Dana

These guys are pretty much sure things. I suspect that with his defense and if he continues to show he can be a consistent hitter, Brown would likely join this group. The starting lineup looks like it should produce some offense.

I've said it before, but with Peterson, Gallagher, and Crawford, the weekend starting pitching is going to be one of the strengths of the team. I would expect the 3 transfer pitchers will likely contribute as well in some way.

After watching him in Norwich this past summer, I really don't have much in the way of expectations for Jimmy Wang to become a regular contributor on the mound for UConn. He was an older pitcher in a younger league, and he really didn't do all that well. Still, I'm hoping he fools me.

As for the other guys who played in Norwich this past summer, Korey Morton and Bobby McBride still at least have youth and time on their side.

No question, the bullpen and midweek starters does end up being the big question mark at this time. The pitching transfers (Chudoba, Stefanoni, and Larson) will definitely get a look. You can throw California JUCO Devin Kirby, who was hurt last season, into this group as well. Justin Willis will no doubt see action as well. Whatever the case, the UConn pitching staff definitely needs a bunch of returning guys and incoming freshmen to show something in fall ball. In order to have some depth, a bunch of young pitchers are going to have show some development and improvement.

Reaction Score
David Smith 5'11"??? I ran into him on campus a week ago and he was maybe 5'4". That's gotta be a misprint.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t agree more with that lineup. Could see guys like Bryan Padilla and Korey Morton getting some playing time as well. Hector Alejandro and Curren Larson could be good additions to the bullpen too but ur right there aren’t too many proven options in the bullpen besides Reggie and Willis. For the catcher, it will probably be Matt Donlan but Matt Garbowski seems to be a great option for the future

One thing Bryan Padilla did not do is show is much of a bat with the Mystic Schooners this past summer. As mentioned before, I half expect that the versatile David Smith could be a Tony Phillips type utility player this season for UConn, possibly seeing time in the middle infield and in the outfield as well. Smith saw some time in center field in summer ball, so it could be that he could end up being the prime backup middle infielder, and be the main competition to Korey Morton in backing up T.C. Simmons in center field. I would expect Morton with his speed will also continue to get time off the bench as a pinch runner.

Reaction Score
David Smith 5'11"??? I ran into him on campus a week ago and he was maybe 5'4". That's gotta be a misprint.
Maybe but both Perfect Game & Prep Baseball had him @ 5-10 in 2019, LaSalle had him @ 5-10.

Reaction Score

UConn certainly has a bunch of young pitchers on the fall ball roster. 10 incoming freshmen pitchers to go along with the likes of returning young pitchers such as Favieri, Coe, McBride, O'Donnell, Alejandro, Socci, and Kolean. For UConn to have the pitching depth that is needed for weekend conference games and any run in post season ball, a number of these guys are going to have to show that they can get some outs when they are on the pitching mound. In my mind, development of some of these young pitchers is the real key to the upcoming spring season for UConn. While I could very well be proven wrong (and I hope I am), at this point I just don't have great confidence in such veterans as Kenny Campbell and Jimmy Wang.

Reaction Score
Transferred to Bergen Community College last year due to logjam @ pitcher…
Thanks. Did some digging. He then went to some JUCO in Lincoln California and is now on the roster back east at Sacred Heart.

Reaction Score
I think you can throw Angus Mayock into the missing list with Will Lucas. Both guys I liked very much but never played much last year. I believe they both had some injuries, but maybe there was more to it seeing they are both gone. Too bad, they could have helped the bullpen.

Reaction Score
I think you can throw Angus Mayock into the missing list with Will Lucas. Both guys Is liked very much but never played much last year. I believe they both had some injuries, but maybe there was more to it seeing they are both gone. Too bad, they could have helped the bullpen.

Mayock was previously reported as being in the transfer portal as a Grad transfer over the summer, so he wasn't expected back. Of course Todd Petersen was also reported in the portal, but he is listed on the fall roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom