UConn Called Good Academic Fit For ACC | The Boneyard

UConn Called Good Academic Fit For ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good, even though I don't/never knew the ACC was a "top academic conference" until all of this realignment. I know they have some really great schools like Duke/Clemson/BC, but I never looked at Miami, V-Tech, Maryland, etc. and thought "Wow, great academics."

Reaction Score
Good, even though I don't/never knew the ACC was a "top academic conference" until all of this realignment. I know they have some really great schools like Duke/Clemson/BC, but I never looked at Miami, V-Tech, Maryland, etc. and thought "Wow, great academics."

Uh, great schools like Clemson, but you looked down on V-Tech and Maryland? How did you come to this conclusion?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
VT has one of the best veterinary science programs in America.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I've always thought VT and Maryland were good schools but that's mainly based on which kids in my high school class went/applied there.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
UConn would be right in the middle of the pack academically in both the ACC and the B10

academics is not an issue, lest they try and join the Ivy League

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My son got his PHd. at VTech in wildlife sciences. They have one of the best departments in the world in that field and are great in most of the sciences and engineering.

Reaction Score
Duke, UNC, Wake, BC, and UVA are all exceptional schools. GT, MD and VT are also both quite strong and competitive nationally. The others are a tier below. We would fit into the GT/MD/VT category. Overall, the conference is very strong academically, certainly well above the SEC and the Big 9. I can't see academics being any form of hurdle to the ACC, considering they just accepted two schools that are ranked below us in the most recent college rankings.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I can't see academics being any form of hurdle to the ACC, considering they just accepted two schools that are ranked below us in the most recent college rankings.

To be fair, we tied Pitt, but for the first time ever we beat out the Orange... S*cks for my SU-grad coworker who insists that her degree is better than mine because SU is just suuuuuuuuuch a better school.

Reaction Score
This is all well and good, but now what? I am glad Herbst is our Prez, and I trust we will end up in a good spot, but the next thing I want to hear out of her mouth regarding conference realignment is "I am pleased to announce the University of Connecticut has accepted an invitation to join the (Big 10 or Atlantic Coast) Conference.....".

Reaction Score
Uh, great schools like Clemson, but you looked down on V-Tech and Maryland? How did you come to this conclusion?

I looked at it based on my personal experience with people I know that went to those schools. My friend was a dumb jock in HS and got into VT, while I had a cousin that went to MD, which might've blurred my vision of these schools :). Clemson I always thought was a top school?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Duke, UNC, Wake, BC, and UVA are all exceptional schools. GT, MD and VT are also both quite strong and competitive nationally. The others are a tier below. We would fit into the GT/MD/VT category. Overall, the conference is very strong academically, certainly well above the SEC and the Big 9. I can't see academics being any form of hurdle to the ACC, considering they just accepted two schools that are ranked below us in the most recent college rankings.
I think you can add GT to the top list.

Even their worst schools are solid academically when compared to the worst of most other major conferences. The ACC is a step above the BE (even if you can't get beyond the nonesense that some adhere to believing any catholic education is superior to a public university).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
To be fair, we tied Pitt, but for the first time ever we beat out the Orange... S*cks for my SU-grad coworker who insists that her degree is better than mine because SU is just suuuuuuuuuch a better school.
Just tell her you will always be paid more for doing the same job because you're a man.

Reaction Score
S*cks for my SU-grad coworker who insists that her degree is better than mine because SU is just suuuuuuuuuch a better school.

Just tell her you're a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man you are. She's just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of us. It's science. Then call her a smelly pirate hooker, and tell her to go back to her home on whore island.

Reaction Score

Actually Miami is ranked 38th overall in US News. 20 places ahead of UConn.

Reaction Score

Miami is actually a good school. What people think of is their football team, and assume the academics are crap b/c most of their big time players in the late 80's and 90's struggled to spit out a complete sentence. Not ture. The difference is, back in the day, Da U would admit any athlete who met the minimum NCAA eligibility requirements, where they held full time students to a much higher standard. While all schools have a bit mre leeway in admitting athletes, Miami took it a bit further. Those players are not indicative of Miami's academic reputation (but it is what most people think of).

Reaction Score
Miami is actually a good school. What people think of is their football team, and assume the academics are crap b/c most of their big time players in the late 80's and 90's struggled to spit out a complete sentence. Not ture. The difference is, back in the day, Da U would admit any athlete who met the minimum NCAA eligibility requirements, where they held full time students to a much higher standard. While all schools have a bit mre leeway in admitting athletes, Miami took it a bit further. Those players are not indicative of Miami's academic reputation (but it is what most people think of).

Having been on Miami's campus and met a lot of their students, I can't say any of my stereotypes were dispelled by that experience. It's a strange school. A good mix of northerners, inner Florida, urban commuters. But I'd venture to say that from the feel of the place, it's not any different than Florida St. or Arizona St.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Miami *used* to be a joke academically. They've come a long way.

I agree with Brass: the top tier, in this order, is comprised of Duke, UVA, UNC, BC/Wake.

Frankly, besides Duke and UVA, UConn is right with any of those other schools.

Like Miami, UConn has come a long way (although it was never a joke to begin with).

For what it's worth from someone who went to a private university, I don't think that any UConn grad should EVER take ANY crap from a Cuse grad. Yeah, SU is more expensive. Does Cuse have better students? Nope. UConn has a 54% selection rate. Syracuse has a 60% acceptance rate. UConn's 25%/75% SAT scores: 1130/1310 Syracuse's? 1060/1270. And the one thing you usually get at private colleges, a better faculty-student ratio, isn't something that Cuse blows UConn away at. They have a 16:1 ratio, which is only marginally better than UConn's 18:1 ratio.

The one big difference is price. Cuse costs $52k a year. UConn costs $25K for in-state students and $41K for out-of-state students.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom