UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 67 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
His college mentioned him being a 2023 draft guy in their congratulations tweet so my guess is this spring

Just guessing, but I'm thinking that he will be with UConn baseball in the fall of 2023. That would be consistent with other JUCO players who make their commitment at this time of year in the past.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just guessing, but I'm thinking that he will be with UConn baseball in the fall of 2023. That would be consistent with other JUCO players who make their commitment at this time of year in the past.
Difference here is he graduated hs in '20 so he's been at Juco for 2.5 yrs vs 1.5.

Reaction Score

Did some checking, and have confirmed that Zavien Watson will play for Grossmont this spring, and is scheduled join UConn baseball in the fall of 2023.

I have been following UConn baseball recruiting for a number of years now, and there have been several transfers who committed to the team in late fall or early winter. I don't recall any of these players have ended up playing for UConn baseball the following spring.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Did some checking, and have confirmed that Zavien Watson will play for Grossmont this spring, and is scheduled join UConn baseball in the fall of 2023.

I have been following UConn baseball recruiting for a number of years now, and there have been several transfers who committed to the team in late fall or early winter. I don't recall any of these players have ended up playing for UConn baseball the following spring.

Fair enough, but how many of those recruits were former blue chip prospects?

The number of 9 and 9.5 PG recruits is staggering. Hopefully we keep most of them from the MLB draft.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, but how many of those recruits were former blue chip prospects?

I couldn't tell you how many were former blue chip prospects, but that wasn't my point to begin with. My point was that JUCO's who commit to the Huskies in the fall or early winter do not seem to show up at UConn the following spring, but rather for the following fall ball season.

I do recall since I started following UConn baseball recruiting that at least one JUCO that had committed to UConn ended up getting picked in the MLB draft, and ended up going pro instead of reporting to Storrs that fall. I do not remember the name of that player. We will see if it happens again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Before arriving at UConn, Zavien Watson will have played two seasons with Grossmont, and before arriving at Grossmont, he was at Pima Community College in Arizona where he played for one season. I have to think playing 3 seasons at the JUCO level is rather rare.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I couldn't tell you how many were former blue chip prospects, but that wasn't my point to begin with. My point was that JUCO's who commit to the Huskies in the fall or early winter do not seem to show up at UConn the following spring, but rather for the following fall ball season.

I do recall since I started following UConn baseball recruiting that at least one JUCO that had committed to UConn ended up getting picked in the MLB draft, and ended up going pro instead of reporting to Storrs that fall. I do not remember the name of that player. We will see if it happens again.

I assumed you meant that the JUCO transfers were dart throws by our staff that didn’t make the final roster. My bad!

Reaction Score
Grossmont is where TC Simmons went before transferring to UConn. He's worked out pretty well.

UConn has had a pretty good pipeline going on with Cal JUCO's for a number of years now. The team has no new Cal JUCO recruits on the roster for the coming season (Simmons, Devin Kirby, and Curren Larson were all on the team roster last season), so it it good to see a new Cal JUCO recruit commit to the team for the 2024 spring season.

Reaction Score
2026- my god these kids are committing young. But also my word the kids measurables and size you can’t teach. Penders wants to keep best kids home maybe best way is to get their first! Welcome Shaun!

Reaction Score
BOOM!!
E62893EA-3474-4513-B6D0-62C450596575.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
?? Instagram but not seeing it ??
He may have a private account. Maybe that’s why. I inserted the picture, instead.

Flannery and Lombardo play for the same AAU program (CT Grind) that produced Ryan Daniels and Thomas Galusha.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Shaun Flannery and Vincent Lombardo are the first commitments UConn baseball has gotten from the High School Class of 2026. It's pretty rare for high school freshmen to make commitments to UConn baseball, it hasn't happened all that much in the past from what I recall.

I just got back today from visiting with my brothers and sister and their families during Christmas. Seeing these two commitments come up while I was away proved to be a nice Christmas gift in itself, especially since the winter months tend to be a rather quiet time in terms of UConn baseball getting commitments from prospective recruits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom