UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 62 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
How does UConn do against BC recruiting? Interested because BC plays in amazing baseball conference ACC
Head to head not much. Penders doesn't usually go after a BC type meaning he likes the blue collar guy. Program vs Program there is no argument now that we have the better track record in terms of success, post season births and MLB/MILB pipeline. But BC will always get their fair share of players who want the ACC on the jersey no matter how many weekend loses that means.

Reaction Score
UConn has another transfer coming in, Michael Quigley, RHP from UMass Lowell. Quigley is entering his Junior year. He identifies with UConn baseball on his twitter account. He is the brother of Stephen Quigley, another incoming transfer to UConn baseball from Wheaton College.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has another transfer coming in, Michael Quigley, RHP from UMass Lowell. Quigley is entering his Junior year. He identifies with UConn baseball on his twitter account. He is the brother of Stephen Quigley, another incoming transfer to UConn baseball from Wheaton College.

36 BB in 29 innings

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Good stuff, not good control. Let’s see what our coaches do with him

Reaction Score
36 BB in 29 innings
Good stuff, not good control. Let’s see what our coaches do with him

Yeah, I noticed his stats when I posted about him. Not exactly eye opening in a good way. I suspect he has joined UConn baseball to give his brother some good company, at least in fall ball. But yes, we'll see what the coaches can do.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I noticed his stats when I posted about him. Not exactly eye opening in a good way. I suspect he has joined UConn baseball to give his brother some good company, at least in fall ball. But yes, we'll see what the coaches can do.
I think you are seelling him short. His stats in FCBL are better to look at. #2 in the FCBL in Ks right now. I will take that.

Reaction Score
I think you are seelling him short. His stats in FCBL are better to look at. #2 in the FCBL in Ks right now. I will take that.

No question his stats do look better. The biggest note is that his walk totals are certainly down from the regular college season. He is certainly doing well there, and you have to start somewhere. The main concern with him would certainly be his control and walk totals, if he can get these items under control, it will be a big help to him. At the same time he gets plenty of strikeouts, whether it was in college spring ball, or during the summer season.

However, I will note that the Futures League is basically the entry level collegiate summer league in New England. The level of play is certainly not on the same level of either the NECBL or the Cape Cod League, the other main collegiate summer leagues located in New England. Many young college players, plus incoming freshmen fresh out of high school, plus a bunch of players from D2 and D3 college baseball populate this league. Quigley as an incoming Junior is on the older side of this League. Still, at least he doing well on this level and that is a start. We'll see if it translates over when he gets to UConn. His big strikeout totals both during the college season and the summer season are certainly of interest, that is for sure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Knowing my interest in all things UConn baseball, a friend of mine tipped me off to an article in the Woonsocket Call newspaper about UConn picking up a Grad transfer from Brown, LHP Zach Fogell:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was looking at a few summer rosters in the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League, when on the Oneonta Outlaws roster I found something interesting from a UConn recruiting angle. An infielder named Paul Tammaro has UConn listed as his school. I did a search on Tammaro, and found he had played college ball for Oswego. His Instagram Page lists both Oswego and UConn as his schools. So it looks like he is a Grad Transfer to UConn.

Reaction Score
I was looking at a few summer rosters in the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League, when on the Oneonta Outlaws roster I found something interesting from a UConn recruiting angle. An infielder named Paul Tammaro has UConn listed as his school. I did a search on Tammaro, and found he had played college ball for Oswego. His Instagram Page lists both Oswego and UConn as his schools. So it looks like he is a Grad Transfer to UConn.

Some pretty legit numbers he’s been putting up

Reaction Score
2024 SS/P Commit Jack LaRose:

-> Standing 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, LaRose put a firm capper on his recruitment last October when he verballed to the same University of Connecticut program that fell one win shy of reaching this year’s College World Series. The road to providing the Huskies with a verbal commitment long before LaRose is eligible to sign a National Letter of Intent speaks volumes to how comfortable the player is with the school and vice versa.

A shortstop who emerged as Hendricken’s closer this past season, LaRose talked about what life was like during the months leading up to making up his mind regarding UConn last Thursday prior to Upper Deck Post 14 taking on Riverside Post 10 at Pierce Field. “For me, it was built-up pressure … talking to coaches all the time,” LaRose. “I expected it and I loved it, but to finally be able to say that I’m going to UConn … it was a weight off my shoulders. Now I can get back to playing baseball and get back to doing the thing I love without all the pressure.” <-

-> “They made me feel like family,” said LaRose. “That was the separator between UConn and the other schools. They made me feel welcome. It was different from everything else.” In LaRose’s eyes, there’s no room for confusion or interpretation when you’re that sure about something. “I could have kept it going [recruiting-wise], but it doesn’t get much better here in New England,” said LaRose. “It was everything I had dreamed about.” <-

Reaction Score
Agree. I like the way we’ve gone for solid D3 guys; lower risk than high school stars who haven’t seen solid pitching in the northeast.
It's really advantageous to pick up a few 5th year D3 guys this year. Penders is cashing in on the 2023 roster flexibility COVID rule to increase the roster size to 40.
Also maintains a veteran presence on the team.

Reaction Score
Sean Stephenson is no longer committed.

I had noticed late last night that Sean Stephenson was no longer listed as a UConn recruit on the UConn recruiting page of the Perfectgame.org website. Sometimes they make mistakes, so I was going to look into it some more today. This saves me the trouble.

Reaction Score
It's really advantageous to pick up a few 5th year D3 guys this year. Penders is cashing in on the 2023 roster flexibility COVID rule to increase the roster size to 40.
Also maintains a veteran presence on the team.

No question UConn baseball is going after more transfers in their recruiting, no doubt due to the revised transfer rules. Does seem that D3 guys are getting to be a big UConn recruiting target. We'll have to see how it impacts recruiting prospects out of high school. It would seem pretty obvious at this point that due to the new transfer rules there is going to be more turnover on the roster from year to year, so going after these transfers is another way take care of potential weaknesses on the roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom