UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 61 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
The amazing thing about Penders is his willingness and ability to adapt. He has said many times- adapt or die (thank you Moneyball). But he knows real well the type of kid he is looking for and the importance of having some flexibility in securing transfers that can supplement holes in his team and do so immediately.

No question about it, Coach Penders is quite open about the kind of kid he is looking for when it comes to recruiting. Basically a blue collar lunch pail type who is willing to put in the work, and someone who pretty much puts the team first. Also someone who fits with the team ethos that the coaches have built, so to speak. He has talked about this quite a bit in interviews when talking about the new baseball facilities. Coach Penders seemed pretty concerned in these interviews that the bells and whistles of the new facilities would be most attractive to the kind of kids he wasn't looking for, and he felt it was the job of the coaching staff to figure this out and not take in these kids. Penders is certainly into team building, and it would seem even though he lost his starting job this season, Christian Fedko is probably the poster child of the type of player personality the coaching staff wants to bring into the program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just dawning on me now that we often recruit junior college guys from Northern California. Not a bad place for our super to be in that regard!

Reaction Score
Lost in the game action last night. Heard rumblings but wasn’t sure on timing. Solid pick-up @ Third. Some background info on Luke in this thread: Local trio playing key role in Eastern Connecticut's baseball success (JI)

Interesting, someone who started at UConn and redshirted a year or two, went to another school, and then came back to UConn baseball. Don't know if this has happened before.

Also, wondering if Eastern is about to become the new Avery Point in sending transfers to UConn baseball.

Reaction Score
Bring in kids who know how to win. Eastern is back to doing plenty of that.

Reaction Score
So what’s interesting to me about that he’s a third baseman. We have a third baseman on the roster who had more than acceptable two way production last year, and then started horrifically and lost his job. I wonder if that means Kevin Brown is leaving, or whether Broadhurst is being brought in to have a chance to compete for the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
So what’s interesting to me about that he’s a third baseman. We have a third baseman on the roster who had more than acceptable two way production last year, and then started horrifically and lost his job. I wonder if that means Kevin Brown is leaving, or whether Broadhurst is being brought in to have a chance to compete for the job.
Many of this year's starters are transfers. I get the sense Penders is overrecruiting his roster to allow them to be more competitive at the national level. Based on this year's results, it's working.

Reaction Score
Think you are thinking of the pitcher from the majors. It's Chris Brown. I don't remember this kid Luke Broadhurst at UConn or even ever starting?

Reaction Score
Sorry, I thought he announces it above in post #1506. Yes, DBMill mentions him being a starter while here in post #1508.

He started in college ball at UConn, but I did not mean that he actually played while he was in Storrs. I said he was a redshirt in his previous stint with UConn.

Reaction Score
Luke is a great hitter but he was an .867 fielding percentage at third this past year. Projects better at second.

Reaction Score
Think you are thinking of the pitcher from the majors. It's Chris Brown. I don't remember this kid Luke Broadhurst at UConn or even ever starting?
Seriously? On a night when I was up to 2:15 watching and then unabated to get into a deep sleep, we’re going to correct mistakes? LOL.

Yes, my bad, Chris Brown. Shows how deep on the bench he got buried.

Reaction Score
Reminder: no transfer speculation by name unless they are already in the Portal or announced by player.

Broadhurst was a 2018 redshirt

Now that the CT Sea Music Festival is over, I have a little time to respond better on this. As mentioned above, Broadhurst was a freshman at UConn who redshirted the 2018 season. From what I recall, Broadhurst was still with UConn baseball for 2018 fall ball. According to the biography of Broadhurst on the Eastern baseball website, Broadhurst enrolled at Eastern in January 2019 after three semesters at UConn (which would be after the UConn fall ball season), and played for the Eastern baseball team that spring. So either he left UConn on his own or was cut from the team, or whatever.

Funny thing, Broadhurst was one of those players who never played that I had a good feeling about, so I was a bit disappointed when he disappeared from the UConn roster after the 2018 fall ball season. Since he is coming back to UConn it would seem he left on good terms with the UConn coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the UConn baseball season now over, figure it is good time to provide a current summery of recruits who have been reported in this thread as having committed to UConn baseball. In the past, summer and fall have been a time when many such commitments are reported.

High school class of 2022

Levi McAllister - C
Noah Sorensen - SS
Maddix Dalena - 1B/3B
Ryan Daniels - Inf
Niki Brini - OF
Drew Kron - OF
Ryan Juliano - Inf

Gavin Greger - LHP/OF
Kolby Pascarelli - LHP/OF
Sam Clark - RHP
JJ Hood - RHP
John McGowan - RHP
Jude Abbadessa - RHP
Ryan Vandewater - RHP

Luke Broadhurst - Inf - Grad transfer from ECSU
Jake Studley - OF - Grad transfer from Wheaton

Stephen Quigley - RHP - Grad transfer from Wheaton

High school Class of 2023

Michael Oates - C/OF
Brett Davino - SS
Sean Stephenson - 3B
Robert Rispoli - SS/2B/OF
Tyler Minick - SS/RHP
Sean Finn - SS/RHP

Kyle Peters - RHP/Inf
Ben Schlld - RHP
Tommy Turner - RHP
Thomas Galusha - RHP
Giovannni Conte - RHP
Charlie West - LHP
Devin Wolff - RHP
Frank Spirito - RHP

High school Class of 2024

Gabriel Tirado - C
Jack LaRose - SS
Connor Lane - C/1B/3B

Mavrick Rizy - RHP

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Any word on the status of Garrett Coe's brother? Heard he has a mid 90's heater.

Reaction Score

-> First runner-up–Maddix Dalena, Montoursville: More is coming on Dalena’s impact but for now the focus is upon his offense and defense, both which were outstanding. The Connecticut-bound senior was one of the toughest outs in the area, producing a .556 on-base percentage with many teams working around him. He hit .375 and was second in the area with four home runs. Dalena added 17 RBIs and shined at shortstop after catching and playing first base his first two seasons. Dalena helped Montoursville capture two district championships in his three years starting.<-

Reaction Score
How does UConn do against BC recruiting? Interested because BC plays in amazing baseball conference ACC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom