UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 60 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
Not UConn-related, but I just learned today that Casey Dana’s younger brother is considered one of the top HS pitchers in the northeast and is going to be an early-round pick in the MLB Draft. Sadly his likely-moot college commitment is, ugh, Kentucky.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> That hard work has paid off so far for Spirito, who said going to UConn has been one of his dreams since he was a little kid. He’ll have the opportunity to play under Jim Penders after his days at Bristol Central are over.

Ray knows Spirito can have success at UConn: “He’s electric. The potential there is off the charts, I’ve been coaching for 22 years, he’s definitely got D1 ability.”

Spirito has blossomed at the high school level. He already has 25 strikeouts while allowing just six hits in 11⅔ innings this season. His fastball sits in the mid-to-high 80s range, and has been clocked at 90 mph. He also throws a slider and a changeup.

Last season, he had 24 strikeouts in 13 innings, and batters managed a meager .102 average against him. <-

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> That hard work has paid off so far for Spirito, who said going to UConn has been one of his dreams since he was a little kid. He’ll have the opportunity to play under Jim Penders after his days at Bristol Central are over.

Ray knows Spirito can have success at UConn: “He’s electric. The potential there is off the charts, I’ve been coaching for 22 years, he’s definitely got D1 ability.”

Spirito has blossomed at the high school level. He already has 25 strikeouts while allowing just six hits in 11⅔ innings this season. His fastball sits in the mid-to-high 80s range, and has been clocked at 90 mph. He also throws a slider and a changeup.

Last season, he had 24 strikeouts in 13 innings, and batters managed a meager .102 average against him. <-

Also Gavin Gregor was originally at BCHS. Before transferring to Avon Old Farms. We are also getting Ryan Daniels from St. Paul next year. Bristol is definitely representing.

Reaction Score
Another UConn infield recruit from New York City:

LATEST PG SHOWCASE REPORT

2022 MID-ATLANTIC INDOOR SHOWCASE (SATURDAY)

Robert Rispoli is a 2023 SS/2B, OF with a 5-10 165 lb. frame from Staten Island, NY who attends Monsignor Farrell. Medium, compact frame with loads of quick twitch athleticism and lean strength throughout. Primary middle-infielder with smooth, fluid actions throughout the fielding process. Exhibits the ability to range laterally exceptionally well, while displaying a clean funnel out in front and the adjustability to throw from multiple arm angles. Recorded arm strength up to 84 mph across the diamond. Right-handed hitter that hits from a narrow, open stance with a high hand set, high back elbow and hover trigger. Middle-of-the field approach with quick, direct stroke and plenty of present bat speed. Displayed burgeoning gap-to-gap power potential that will continue to expand with additional strength. Quick twitch athlete with fundamentally sound skill set, offensive prowess and the ability to change the game with his speed in many ways. Good Student. Named to the 2022 Perfect Game Mid-Atlantic Indoor Showcase Top Prospect List.<

Reaction Score
I was looking at rosters for the coming summer season in the NECBL, when I came across on the Martha's Vineyard roster a player named Stephen Quigley, a senior whose school is listed as UConn. I then checked out his twitter page, and his schools on that are listed as Wheaton College and UConn. So it would seem that Stephen Quigley is a grad transfer to UConn. Quigley is a RHP/Infielder. This season he has a 1.90 ERA in 59 innings with 70 strikeouts and 10 walks.

Reaction Score
Looks like UConn baseball is getting another Grad transfer from Wheaton College. Once again while checking the summer roster for the Ocean State Waves of the NECBL, there is an outfielder named Jacob Studley who has UConn listed on his school. His twitter account also lists Wheaton College and UConn as his schools. Over the last 4 years, he has hit .400 with a bunch of doubles and homers for Wheaton.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A little possible UConn baseball recruiting news included in this article on the UConn Coaches Road Show:

Penders shares something in common with Mora. They're both sons of Jims who were both coaches.

They traded text messages earlier today because a football recruit — a placekicker — expressed an interest in playing two sports.<

Perhaps @huskymedic may know something more on this from his updates on UConn football recruiting.

Reaction Score
A little possible UConn baseball recruiting news included in this article on the UConn Coaches Road Show:

They traded text messages earlier today because a football recruit — a placekicker — expressed an interest in playing two sports.<

Perhaps @huskymedic may know something more on this from his updates on UConn football recruiting.
I saw that… they have so many offers out I haven’t nailed down anyone specific but appreciate the willingness to consider two-sport athletes (on both sides of the equation).

Reaction Score
I saw that… they have so many offers out I haven’t nailed down anyone specific but appreciate the willingness to consider two-sport athletes (on both sides of the equation).

I just looked at the story in the Hartford Courant, and it suggested it was a transfer who was interested in place kicking for the football team.

Penders, like Valentino, is fresh off winning a Big East regular season title, gave Mora a “hook C” cap to wear at the spring scrimmage a few weeks ago. Monday, they traded texts about a possible transfer who wants to play baseball and try kicking for the football team.

Reaction Score
I was looking at rosters for the coming summer season in the NECBL, when I came across on the Martha's Vineyard roster a player named Stephen Quigley, a senior whose school is listed as UConn. I then checked out his twitter page, and his schools on that are listed as Wheaton College and UConn. So it would seem that Stephen Quigley is a grad transfer to UConn. Quigley is a RHP/Infielder. This season he has a 1.90 ERA in 59 innings with 70 strikeouts and 10 walks.

I assume these 2 guys from Wheaton are in addition to the several D1 transfers that Chris Jones mentioned in a telecast since Wheaton is a D3 school?

Reaction Score
I assume these 2 guys from Wheaton are in addition to the several D1 transfers that Chris Jones mentioned in a telecast since Wheaton is a D3 school?

Certainly would not surprise me to see a few more transfers of various stripes come into UConn baseball. I just happened to stumble upon these two while looking at NECBL summer ball rosters. Five transfers joined the UConn baseball program for this season, there are others who had come into the program over previous seasons who are still with the team.

Reaction Score
How much do we think winning a regional will help recruiting efforts? Perhaps even help with recruiting transfers?

I remember reading that Stock decided to transfer when UConn was playing in the OKC regional, and we didn’t even win that one. On the flip slide, I find it interesting that there was a slight dip in quality of UConn baseball teams for a few years on their heels of their 2011 run. I wonder if JO Christian simply held back their ability to keep the momentum going.

Apologies if this post doesn’t fit here, since I am not sharing a new actual recruit.

Reaction Score
How much do we think winning a regional will help recruiting efforts? Perhaps even help with recruiting transfers?

I remember reading that Stock decided to transfer when UConn was playing in the OKC regional, and we didn’t even win that one. On the flip slide, I find it interesting that there was a slight dip in quality of UConn baseball teams for a few years on their heels of their 2011 run. I wonder if JO Christian simply held back their ability to keep the momentum going.

Apologies if this post doesn’t fit here, since I am not sharing a new actual recruit.

Winning a regional certainly won't hurt recruiting efforts either with incoming freshmen or transfers, that's for sure. This is certainly good publicity, and it gets UConn baseball attention from a wider audience, that's for sure. That UConn baseball has now been to 8 NCAA tournaments since the 2010 season is also quite a run, and that all keeps building things up. The 2010 and 2011 UConn baseball teams dd not have this run of NCAA Tournament appearances to build on, and I think that makes quite a difference as well.

The new athletic facilities in Storrs including the new baseball ballpark is no question a big help to recruiting efforts. The old field at UConn had absolutely no amenities, either for fans or for people associated with the UConn baseball program.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I think we've gotten a fair amount of press during this run about being a northern baseball team. Beating Wake & MD adds to the publicity. Beating Stanford and making it to Omaha would be monumental for the school and recruiting. It also helps having guys drafted highly and making an impact at the top level. Like the other sports, kids want to play where they think they'll be prepared for "the show". Clearly that can happen at UConn.

Reaction Score

Winning a regional certainly won't hurt recruiting efforts either with incoming freshmen or transfers, that's for sure. This is certainly good publicity, and it gets UConn baseball attention from a wider audience, that's for sure. That UConn baseball has now been to 8 NCAA tournaments since the 2010 season is also quite a run, and that all keeps building things up. The 2010 and 2011 UConn baseball teams dd not have this run of NCAA Tournament appearances to build on, and I think that makes quite a difference as well.

The new athletic facilities in Storrs including the new baseball ballpark is no question a big help to recruiting efforts. The old field at UConn had absolutely no amenities, either for fans or for people associated with the UConn baseball program.

From an article from The Day that I just posted in the Palo Alto thread:

-> "I'd say overall (recruiting) is getting easier, but it's just a different landscape," he said Wednesday. "You have to be able to adjust. We were just talking about that on the bus ride home. We would have a freshman class of 12 to 13 or 14 guys some years and we're not doing that anymore. It better be more like six because you better be in the transfer portal. You better be bringing men in and not boys if you want to continue to stay at this level."

Translation: Men not only have more strength and experience, but maturity as well. There are layers to all that.

"Even with shiny new toys now, we have to guard against complacency or the entitlement factor," Penders said. "You know, if a young man is attracted to a chair back or a wooden locker (generally considered locker room amenities), that's not a guy for us. But if he's attracted to the fact that he can hit 24/7 in our batting/pitching facility, if he's attracted to the fact that he can lift in that facility whenever he wants, then that's a guy for us. But if he likes the bells and whistles first, it's not a guy for us. So, we have to do even more due diligence than we used to." <-

Reaction Score
The amazing thing about Penders is his willingness and ability to adapt. He has said many times- adapt or die (thank you Moneyball). But he knows real well the type of kid he is looking for and the importance of having some flexibility in securing transfers that can supplement holes in his team and do so immediately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom