UConn baseball players transferring out of program | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn baseball players transferring out of program

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I also can’t imagine Conor Moriarty coming back, wasn’t getting many ABs in the first place. How about guys like Polonia or Haus?

I would be surprised if C-Mo came back. If he wants a shot at being drafted he will need to play full time and have a solid batting average to go along with his great glove, and with Bushling & likely Casparius, earning playing time at 3rd base will be tough. I can see him transferring to a local school, and regardless of whether he kills it here or elsewhere I will be rooting for him.

btw welcome to the board!

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if C-Mo came back. If he wants a shot at being drafted he will need to play full time and have a solid batting average to go along with his great glove, and with Bushling & likely Casparius, earning playing time at 3rd base will be tough. I can see him transferring to a local school, and regardless of whether he kills it here or elsewhere I will be rooting for him.

Agreed. No one is coming back for a fifth year to ride the pine. He either transfers to someone who will play him or moves on. And I wish him and the others well in their decisions, and absolutely sympathize that they lost their senior seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does appear that Max Nielson who is already in the transfer portal underwent Tommy John surgery today. So he is likely out next season regardless if immediate transfer rule is passed.

Reaction Score
Agreed. No one is coming back for a fifth year to ride the pine. He either transfers to someone who will play him or moves on. And I wish him and the others well in their decisions, and absolutely sympathize that they lost their senior seasons.
agreed without naming names there are a handful or so kids who certainly fall into this category.

Reaction Score
Does appear that Max Nielson who is already in the transfer portal underwent Tommy John surgery today. So he is likely out next season regardless if immediate transfer rule is passed.

So Max Nielsen has found a new mound to call home. I think the Tommy John surgery helps to explain Max Nielsen's exit from the program. I had the impression that Nielsen as a recruit was well regarded and had a good amount of upside to his pitching potential. However, the TJ surgery would pretty much impact his pitching next spring season. With all the pitching prospects UConn has on its current roster plus the pitchers slated to come into the program next season, it would seem that Nielsen was likely going to fall behind a bunch of pitchers on the UConn staff while recovering from the surgery.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I doubt Moriarty was getting much if any athletic scholarship money. Having to pay for a fifth year of school is not a big incentive for seniors to come back for another year.

Reaction Score
Tyler Griggs announcing he is headed to Central Arizona College to continue his career. Some notable players from MLB have come out of there- Rich Harden, Scott Hairston and Ian Kinsler.

Reaction Score
Tyler Griggs announcing he is headed to Central Arizona College to continue his career. Some notable players from MLB have come out of there- Rich Harden, Scott Hairston and Ian Kinsler.

Central Arizona college is a JUCO school.

Reaction Score
Assuming vote is still scheduled for 5/20 @ this point but not 100% positive:

Reaction Score
I don't know if Polonia thinks he's good enough where he needs one more year and then has a chance to go pro. But if he thinks he is, he may want more of a role than he can count on here.

Other than Winkel, Haus is the wildcard. He couldn't have been on pro scouts lists coming into this season, but showed results -- if not potential -- in a short season. I could see him wanting a 5th year to make a name for himself, and if he wants to stay here I can't see us telling him we don't want him.

Remember, Randy Polonia has been part of the UConn baseball program for 5 years already, having redshirted two seasons. I have no idea what his scholarship situation is, but would he want to come back for a sixth year of school and college baseball?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Remember, Randy Polonia has been part of the UConn baseball program for 5 years already, having redshirted two seasons. I have no idea what his scholarship situation is, but would he want to come back for a sixth year of school and college baseball?
I would just to finish the job. Why go 5 and then not the 6th?

Reaction Score
I would just to finish the job. Why go 5 and then not the 6th?

Well, we don't know how much scholarship money Polonia has been getting. The question becomes how much money are you and your parents willing to pay for your education. That could very well make a difference on the decision on the sixth year.

Reaction Score
David Langer has entered the portal as Grad Transfer.

So we have:
RHPLeif Bigelow
INF Tyler Griggs
C Paul Gozzo (Grad)
INF David Langer (Grad)
LHP Max Nielsen
RHP Tim Pfaffenbichler

Cole Brodnansky just showed up on this list as a Grad Transfer. Coach Penders had reported in a recent interview that Brodnansky was not returning to UConn. Like David Langer, perhaps he will end up playing for a California school. So the complete list for now is the following:

C Cole Brodnansky (Grad)
RHP Leif Bigelow
INF Tyler Griggs
C Paul Gozzo (Grad)
INF David Langer (Grad)
LHP Max Nielsen
RHP Tim Pfaffenbichler

Reaction Score
Please excuse my ignorance of this but, if you enter the transfer pool are you required to transfer? Can someone like Gozzo "test the waters" so to speak to see if he can get a better offer? If he doesn't get something then can he return to UConn? I guess he would possibly lose out on any money that was offered by UConn in the first place? Or maybe not?

Reaction Score
Please excuse my ignorance of this but, if you enter the transfer pool are you required to transfer? Can someone like Gozzo "test the waters" so to speak to see if he can get a better offer? If he doesn't get something then can he return to UConn? I guess he would possibly lose out on any money that was offered by UConn in the first place? Or maybe not?

A player can remove his name from the transfer portal at any time (... but at the same time, once a player formally enters the transfer portal, the school is not under any obligation to honor their scholarship nor accept them back).

Reaction Score
1588262930772.png

Reaction Score
It seems like all of them are no longer going to be with Uconn for next season

Reaction Score
It seems like all of them are no longer going to be with Uconn for next season

When you get invited back for the Alumni Game, it would seem they are not coming back to the team next season.

I posted this on the next season thread as well. Kenny Haus and Randy Polonia are conspicuous by their absence from the graduation list. Is this an indicator that they might be back for next season?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Kenny Haus and Randy Polonia are conspicuous by their absence from the graduation list. Is this an indicator that they might be back for next season?

I would say yes, Wink and Nucerino are surprises as far as leaving.

Reaction Score
I would say yes, Wink and Nucerino are surprises as far as leaving.

@uconnbaseball loved Nucerino, and I thought his ability to get on base plus his other skills were intriguing and certainly a help to the team. Still, he was a reserve outfielder on this team, and I doubt he was getting much if any scholarship money. Nucerino was a redshirt junior this past season, so next year would have been his fifth at UConn. For some people, four years of college is plenty, and having to pay for a fifth year is more than enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom