Men - UConn Baseball and the transfer portal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball and the transfer portal

Reaction Score
Sullivan could very well be considered for a starting role this fall, we will see what happens during fall ball. But I also think that having starting experience counts for something. Being good out of the bullpen does not always translate to doing well in a starting role. Doing well as a starter during summer ball will get you looks as a starter in the fall, I've certainly seen that happen before. Suspect a number of pitchers will get chances to start in scrimmages during fall ball.
I hear you DB, just saying that Sullivan was used last year because he’s good & he performed. They had upperclassmen eating all those innings & put him in pen. Kid didn’t come to UConn as a reliever. Went to Cape b/c he was invited & played against the best. If he stayed home he would have likely worked as a starter in NECBL or wherever. Regardless, I’m sure he, Afthim, Cooke and Quinn are being challenged to develop better command and secondary stuff. They will all be hitting the weight room to physically develop toward being potential aces. These older transfers, who knows? Freshman don’t get the keys unless they are lights out. It will be interesting & a key to the season along with a few position slots (hoping Garbo is fully healthy). Having a Dana transfer in is a much different feel than some of these guys coming from smaller schools. I trust the competition will be awesome this fall - an underrated and underreported part of college ball. Certainly part of the culture at UConn - nothing promised, only earned.

Reaction Score

From the article:

<The first window is a bit different from what was originally proposed. The NCAA Rules Oversight Panel initially proposed a 60-day notice period from the time postseason selections are made. However, the Directors approved a window that is 45 days from the day postseason selections are made in baseball. Therefore, for instance, in 2023, athletes will have 45 days after May 29 to enter the portal.

The deadline to enter your transfer paperwork in 2023 will be July 13 for the first window.

The second window for spring student-athletes will be December 1-15. An important clarifier for this window as it pertains to baseball is that it changes nothing about the prohibition on mid-year transfers. Unlike softball, baseball players entering the portal during this period still must sit out until the next baseball season and would not be permitted to play during the upcoming season.>

Reaction Score

-> Connecticut

UConn’s sizable transfer class includes a couple of accomplished Division I players in two-way player Dominic Freeberger from UNC-Asheville, who has a .304 career average and runs his fastball into the mid 90s, and former Hartford closer Will Nowak, but mostly includes players from the region’s strong Division III baseball programs. That group includes lefthander Andrew Sears from Rhode Island College, righthander Stephen Quigley and outfielder Jake Studley from Wheaton (Mass.), infielder Luke Broadhurst from Eastern Connecticut State and infielder Paul Tammaro from Oswego State (N.Y.). <-

Reaction Score
RHP Ramsey Collins, a freshman redshirt at UConn who was not on the spring roster last season, has transferred to Siena. Another UConn player in the transfer portal who wound up at a Division 1 baseball program.

Reaction Score
Zach Stephenson is now listed in the D1baseball.com 2023 transfer tracker. He is still currently listed on the UConn baseball roster on the UConn Athletics website. Stephenson had been listed in the 2022 transfer tracker as well.

Reaction Score
Zach Stephenson is now listed in the D1baseball.com 2023 transfer tracker. He is still currently listed on the UConn baseball roster on the UConn Athletics website. Stephenson had been listed in the 2022 transfer tracker as well.

Zach Stephenson is now not listed on the UConn baseball roster on the UConn athletics website.

Reaction Score
Chris Brown is now listed in the D1baseball.com 2023 transfer tracker. Can't say I'm surprised about him showing up there considering the other players UConn has who can play 3B (Freeberger, Broadhurst, Daniels). Brown is still currently listed on the UConn baseball roster on the UConn Athletics website, we'll see if this is still the case in a few days. Brown had been listed in the 2022 transfer tracker as well.

Reaction Score
Freshman RHP John McGowan, who disappeared from the UConn fall roster earlier this semester, has now appeared in the D1Baseball.com 2023 Transfer Tracker.

Reaction Score
Chris Brown is now listed in the D1baseball.com 2023 transfer tracker. Can't say I'm surprised about him showing up there considering the other players UConn has who can play 3B (Freeberger, Broadhurst, Daniels). Brown is still currently listed on the UConn baseball roster on the UConn Athletics website, we'll see if this is still the case in a few days. Brown had been listed in the 2022 transfer tracker as well.

I find it a bit humorous that two players (Zach Stephenson and Chris Brown) who were in the 2022 Transfer Portal are now listed in the 2023 version of the Transfer Portal.

Reaction Score
I find it a bit humorous that two players (Zach Stephenson and Chris Brown) who were in the 2022 Transfer Portal are now listed in the 2023 version of the Transfer Portal.
about 400 kids in the portal already. crazy

Reaction Score
The following UConn players are now listed on the D1baseball.com Transfer Portal).

The first three were listed before:

Chris Brown - the only player from the 2023 UConn playing roster who is listed here:
Zach Stephenson
John McGowan

The following are additions to the Transfer Portal:

Samual Clark - A redshirt freshman who did not make the spring roster.
John Hood - A redshirt freshman who did not make the spring roster.
Curren Larson
Kolby Pascarelli

Reaction Score
None of those were on the spring roster I believe. I’m guessing there will be more at conclusion of season and those will be kids that did see at least some playing time.

Reaction Score
None of those were on the spring roster I believe. I’m guessing there will be more at conclusion of season and those will be kids that did see at least some playing time.

Chris Brown was the only one on the spring roster. He has not played in any games this season, but he was honored on Senior Day last Sunday.

Reaction Score
Selfishly, I'm sorry to see Sam Clark in the transfer portal for two reasons. One, I live in Maine and was hoping for a UConn-UMaine game (maybe at Portland's Hadlock Field, home of the AA Seadogs, which is about 2 hours south of Orono and 25 minutes from me) next year as a sort of a mid-week "homecoming" game for Sam and Brady Afthim, both of whom are from the Portland area. The Black Bears have been improving (29-19 overall, 19-5 in conference) and probably wouldn't hurt the dreaded RPI much next season. Also, I met Sam's mom on a business call a couple years back after he had committed to UConn and chatted with both parents at the fall "meet and greet" game this year. Nice folks.

Reaction Score
Selfishly, I'm sorry to see Sam Clark in the transfer portal for two reasons. One, I live in Maine and was hoping for a UConn-UMaine game (maybe at Portland's Hadlock Field, home of the AA Seadogs, which is about 2 hours south of Orono and 25 minutes from me) next year as a sort of a mid-week "homecoming" game for Sam and Brady Afthim, both of whom are from the Portland area. The Black Bears have been improving (29-19 overall, 19-5 in conference) and probably wouldn't hurt the dreaded RPI much next season. Also, I met Sam's mom on a business call a couple years back after he had committed to UConn and chatted with both parents at the fall "meet and greet" game this year. Nice folks.

From what I've seen, not every player who shows up in the transfer portal leaves their former team. Of course, with Sam Clark, he was not on the 2023 spring roster for UConn baseball. We'll see what happens with him.

Reaction Score
Couldn't hurt to make initial contact....

TRANSFER NEWS: @DukeBASE freshman 3B Andrew Fischer has entered the Transfer Portal, @d1baseball has learned. Fischer hit in the two-hole for #Duke over the weekend and finished the year with a .289 average, 11 homers and 33 RBIs to go with a .999 OPS.
Probably a bag from an SEC team, like when Tommy White left NC State for LSU last offseason.

Reaction Score
I see the Maryland coach just took the Alabama job. I know they had 2 or 3 really good players from CT.
They also have players from MA and NY. But the new head coach Matt Swope has been around Maryland baseball for a couple decades so that would probably cut down on transfers.

Reaction Score
D1baseball.com has some updates pertaining to UConn baseball in its Transfer Portal listings, all of which have been previously reported on this thread or on the recruiting thread:

They now list UConn redshirt freshman Gavin Greger as transferring to Bryant.

They also now list a few D3 players who are transferring to UConn:

Matt Malcom - ECSU
Caleb Shpur - Endicott
Gabe Van Emon - Endicott

They do not seem to be listing JUCO Transfers on this listing.

I'm inclined to think this list is not totally complete, including UConn players who may be in the transfer portal. I would expect this listing to grow a bit, both with players transferring to and some others leaving UConn baseball.

Reaction Score
D1baseball.com has some updates pertaining to UConn baseball in its Transfer Portal listings, all of which have been previously reported on this thread or on the recruiting thread:

They now list UConn redshirt freshman Gavin Greger as transferring to Bryant.

They also now list a few D3 players who are transferring to UConn:

Matt Malcom - ECSU
Caleb Shpur - Endicott
Gabe Van Emon - Endicott

They do not seem to be listing JUCO Transfers on this listing.

I'm inclined to think this list is not totally complete, including UConn players who may be in the transfer portal. I would expect this listing to grow a bit, both with players transferring to and some others leaving UConn baseball.

Well, now the D1baseball.com Transfer Portal listings is apparently expanding to JUCO transfers to D1 schools. Alex Mach of Avery Point had been previously listed in these baseball threads as transferring to UConn, now he has just been added to the D1baseball.com Transfer Portal listings as well.

Reaction Score
Well, now the D1baseball.com Transfer Portal listings is apparently expanding to JUCO transfers to D1 schools. Alex Mach of Avery Point had been previously listed in these baseball threads as transferring to UConn, now he has just been added to the D1baseball.com Transfer Portal listings as well.
Reading up on these 3 D3 transfers. They are very interesting and could have an impact next year.
  • Malcom is a catcher with good power (39 career HRs) who hit >.350 the last 2 years and even stole 20 bases last year. I would think he contends for a starting catcher spot. Uconn needs more offense out of that spot. East Lyme kid.
  • Shpur is an OF who stole 44 bases and hit .376 last year. Seems to fit the speedy Kron/Morton OF mode. East Canaan kid.
  • Van Emon is a lefty D3 pitcher of the year. Focusing on walks (need guys who throw strikes) was at 2.6 per last year and 3.5 for his career.

The stats are D3 so I know they are discounted but these are targeted recruits aimed at need (especially Malcom and Van Emon).
Haven't posted much but still following and reading. Thanks to dbmill and Huskymedic for posting the relevant info.

Reaction Score
According to the D1Baseball.com Transfer Portal listing, Redshirt Freshman Sam Clark has transferred to Fordham.

Reaction Score
New UConn additions for the D1Baseball.com Transfer Portal listings. In addition to the players previously mentioned who are transferring to UConn, D1Baseball.com now lists George Welch of Southern New Hampshire and Cameron Mayer of Tufts as transferring to UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom