Men - UConn Baseball 2023 | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2023

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Heart of a lion. Came here hurt, went from an afterthought early to mid year to lights out late last year and it carried over to this year.

Reaction Score

It will be interesting to see some more of these senior sendoff tweets in the coming days, as it will help us get a better idea of what the UConn baseball roster will look like during fall ball. Certain players who have been honored on Senior Day's in the past I am expecting back, while some others it would not surprise me if they leave the team to move into pro ball or the "real" world, so to speak.

Reaction Score
Good read by Dom:

Passed Ball <<

-> UConn fell short of the goal, eliminated this June by the hosts in the Gainesville, Fla., Regional. The drought that began with UConn’s last appearance in the sport’s premier event in 1979 continues.

“Last year stung a lot more, because I felt we did have the horses to not just get there but to have a chance to win a national championship,” Penders said this week in Branford, before the second and last of the UConn Coaches Road Shows.

“This year, I didn’t feel that way. I thought we really maximized our talent. To not have a consistent starting rotation the entire season, and to have guys go down at the end with sickness and injuries, and still fought to the end.”

UConn made the Super Regional in 2011 and ’22, the latter year coming with one win at Stanford of getting there. The image Penders, who got his 700th career win during the regional, takes from this year’s Huskies is the last at-bat, David Smith fouling off pitch after pitch before striking out to end the season. “Smith’s at bat was just so emblematic of the team,” Penders said. “He just kept fighting, kept fouling balls off. We got every stitch out of our ability, and the players squeezed every ounce out of us.” <-

Reaction Score

The MLB draft takes place this weekend. No UConn players made the above list of D1Baseball.com top 150 college prospects for the coming draft.

Reaction Score
…another reminder of just how bad of a baseball conference the Big East is. I’m not trying to be negative, however, it’s simply a disservice to the baseball program as a whole. My hope is the schedule continues to be filled up with Power 5 non conf scheduling like we see this year. Bigtime recruiting disadvantage when u look at these attendance averages across the conference. Do u wanna play in front of 4k a night or 250 on avg. The Conference as a whole, does not value Baseball.

Reaction Score
…another reminder of just how bad of a baseball conference the Big East is. I’m not trying to be negative, however, it’s simply a disservice to the baseball program as a whole. My hope is the schedule continues to be filled up with Power 5 non conf scheduling like we see this year. Bigtime recruiting disadvantage when u look at these attendance averages across the conference. Do u wanna play in front of 4k a night or 250 on avg. The Conference as a whole, does not value Baseball.
I agree. I was fortunate to watch a doubleheader at East Carolina in 2019. What an atmosphere. The crowd was rabid in the outfield area. Unfortunately, UConn was swept. It would be nice if Big East schools supported baseball like that.

Reaction Score
It's one word: football. If Uconn had a "real" football program P5 would have happened years ago. No disrespect to anyone but it is what it is. Look at B12 discussions last year. Couldn't get it done. You can dominate in hoops all you want but need to be serviceable in football. That hasn't happened.

Reaction Score
It's one word: football. If Uconn had a "real" football program P5 would have happened years ago. No disrespect to anyone but it is what it is. Look at B12 discussions last year. Couldn't get it done. You can dominate in hoops all you want but need to be serviceable in football. That hasn't happened.
Yea, that’s the reality of college athletics…football drives the revenue. There’s no need to debate that nor do i think anyone should feel disrespected by stating that. It’s a fact.

I do believe the expanding playoff will allow a program like Uconn to speed up relevancy. I think of Gonzaga w/ March Madness being there gateway to relevancy. It took 20 years and a few runs to do it, but they remain a basketball somebody. Football is much more difficult to break thru, but it can happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom