Men - UConn Baseball 2022 | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2022

Reaction Score

I have had the impression over the last 10 years or so, basically the time frame that I have really followed UConn baseball, that the UConn coaching staff has always looked for strikeout pitchers, and increasingly so as the years go by. This does make sense in college ball, considering the number of errors and misplays that occur in the field by most college teams. Reducing the number of balls put in play via the use of strikeouts is certainly a logical step in this regard. Also, there is no question that pro ball is looking for strikeout pitchers as well, so that also attracts attention to the baseball program as well.

Reaction Score
I have had the impression over the last 10 years or so, basically the time frame that I have really followed UConn baseball, that the UConn coaching staff has always looked for strikeout pitchers, and increasingly so as the years go by. This does make sense in college ball, considering the number of errors and misplays that occur in the field by most college teams. Reducing the number of balls put in play via the use of strikeouts is certainly a logical step in this regard. Also, there is no question that pro ball is looking for strikeout pitchers as well, so that also attracts attention to the baseball program as well.
The “all or nothing” home run mentality has also filtered down the the college level. Striking out a lot does not hold the stigma of the past. So it is not just the pitching, but also the batting mindset of the opponents

Reaction Score
The “all or nothing” home run mentality has also filtered down the the college level. Striking out a lot does not hold the stigma of the past. So it is not just the pitching, but also the batting mindset of the opponents

No question that mentality is coming down to the college level, I'll agree with that.

Ah, but since this is college ball there is certainly the possibility of misplays in the field on any batted ball. Because of this, while I certainly enjoy seeing UConn hit home runs, I still want to see UConn hitters put the ball in play and give the opposition the chance to make a mistake, since that is still a big part of the college game. Very few college teams play a completely clean brand of baseball, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
First weekend in a long time without UConn Baseball… and it sucks!

166D04E3-247C-42C1-8741-279CD4018D35.jpeg

Reaction Score
UConn lands @ #15 in Baseball America ‘s Final Top 25 Poll for 2022.

-> Previously ranked: NR
Record: 50-16, 16-5 in Big East
Weekend record: 13-1
NCAA Tournament: 4-3, eliminated in super regionals

After coasting through much of the regular season against overmatched competition in the Big East, Connecticut played inspired baseball in the postseason. First, it won the College Park Regional, defeating host Maryland in a Monday game seven at the end of regional weekend. Then, it went to Stanford and won the opening game of a super regional against the Cardinal before dropping the final two games. The Huskies might have missed a chance to get to Omaha in 2022, but it likely won’t be the last time they reach that stage. <-

Reaction Score
I definitely agree with this. Would be a nice little improvement to the UConn baseball home game experience:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I definitely agree with this. Would be a nice little improvement to the UConn baseball home game experience:

I thought that was weird. We had the dipping dots stand on the left field side available for some of the games, but the Dairy Bar ice cream truck was only there for the last weekend series.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom