Men - UConn Baseball 2022 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Baseball 2022

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I've probably watched more Wake Forest baseball then UConn on TV This year. Listed to or attended (1, loss @ UCSD. ). Ill be back soon with my analysis in a few dats. But we got more scre*ed with our 3 seed than 1 seed

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Wake has two legitimate all Americans. And a pitcher in consideration. Plus another pitcher close. But underachieved in ACC. tough conference. Usually that means a good recruiter who's a lousy coach.Wake coach.
Not Penders.

DGB

Reaction Score
Wake has two legitimate all Americans. And a pitcher in consideration. Plus another pitcher close. But underachieved in ACC. tough conference. Usually that means a good recruiter who's a lousy coach.Wake coach.
Not Penders.
Just had a look at one of their message boards. Wake coach said he's leaning towards starting their second guy...teddy something. Tone of the board is general surprise that UConn plays baseball. Seems the coach might be as surprised by the development as the posters are...

This Rhett Lowder guy (their ace) was ACC pitcher of the year, and I assume he's the pitcher you reference. Any scouting report on the Teddy kid...in case the coach follows through and saves Lowder?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Just had a look at one of their message boards. Wake coach said he's leaning towards starting their second guy...teddy something. Tone of the board is general surprise that UConn plays baseball. Seems the coach might be as surprised by the development as the posters are...

This Rhett Lowder guy (their ace) was ACC pitcher of the year, and I assume he's the pitcher you reference. Any scouting report on the Teddy kid...in case the coach follows through and saves Lowder?

Teddy McGraw is the #2 starter (no relation to Tug). Would be a #1 starter at 95% of D1 schools. Coach Walter rolling the dice McGraw can beat UConn. What the Demon Deacs will have is a fresh Lowder for their second game (an elimination game) vs. Maryland or LIU on Saturday.

Reaction Score
So no question AP gets the ball for game one. If we win, you stick with your normal rotation in order. If you lose, and are playing LIU in an elimination game, I hold back Pat and Enzo and throw Cooke or Chudoba. The goal this weekend isn’t to do as well as possible — it’s to win the region. And if we can’t beat LIU with Cooke or Chudoba throwing, we’re not getting out of the regional anyway.

Reaction Score
UConn didn’t make it back into Baseball America’s Top 25 Poll after the run through the BE Tournament:

UConn wasn’t able to slide their way back into D1Baseball/NCAA Top 25 Poll:

Reaction Score
Teddy McGraw is the #2 starter (no relation to Tug). Would be a #1 starter at 95% of D1 schools. Coach Walter rolling the dice McGraw can beat UConn. What the Demon Deacs will have is a fresh Lowder for their second game (an elimination game) vs. Maryland or LIU on Saturday.
Really interesting. Unless I missed it in my quick look, the #1 Rhett Lowder hasn't pitched since Thursday May 19th of the last regular season and #2 Teddy McGraw through last Friday May 27th in the conference tournament. So obviously both are fresh. Both are righties so not a RHP or LHP match up thing.

Reaction Score
Really interesting. Unless I missed it in my quick look, the #1 Rhett Lowder hasn't pitched since Thursday May 19th of the last regular season and #2 Teddy McGraw through last Friday May 27th in the conference tournament. So obviously both are fresh. Both are righties so not a RHP or LHP match up thing.
Both Lowder and McGraw pitched against Miami on the 27th. The ACC tournament started 3 days after the final game of the regular season, so Wake opted not to use their top 3 starters on short rest in the 1st game of the tourney and lost. Both Lowder and McGraw got some innings in the 2nd game of the tourney as Wake was already eliminated after two NC State wins. The ACC's format of four 3 team pools for the tournament is the worst I have ever seen.

Reaction Score
Both Lowder and McGraw pitched against Miami on the 27th. The ACC tournament started 3 days after the final game of the regular season, so Wake opted not to use their top 3 starters on short rest in the 1st game of the tourney and lost. Both Lowder and McGraw got some innings in the 2nd game of the tourney as Wake was already eliminated after two NC State wins. The ACC's format of four 3 team pools for the tournament is the worst I have ever seen.
Thanks! Yup totally botched that. Probably should have been paying more attention to my conference call instead of looking up stats haha.

Agreed. The ACC pod style set up is terrible.

Reaction Score
So no question AP gets the ball for game one. If we win, you stick with your normal rotation in order. If you lose, and are playing LIU in an elimination game, I hold back Pat and Enzo and throw Cooke or Chudoba. The goal this weekend isn’t to do as well as possible — it’s to win the region. And if we can’t beat LIU with Cooke or Chudoba throwing, we’re not getting out of the regional anyway.

Check out this Coach Penders quote from today's Hartford Courant story. Sounds like UConn will go with their starters in the usual order no matter what. Doesn't bother me, but the question of reordering pitching rotation depending on results for post season tournaments does come up every year.

Peterson, Gallagher and Stefanoni will start the first three games UConn plays. “We’re not going to try to reinvent the wheel,” Penders said.

Reaction Score
He struggled mightily to throw strikes this year. A strike is a strike, and a ball is a ball, no matter where you play, and speaking from extensive anecdotal experience, usually folks who struggle with strike throwing have a hard time overcoming it. It’s just one of those things. But I wish him luck in his search!
Given the nature of college baseball even before the new transfer rules came into being, I certainly expect a number of players (usually seldom used) to transfer out of the UConn baseball program every season. Even though McBride had big problems with his control over his pitches, he did have talent. On that basis I am going to miss him, as potentially he could still turn into something good. But that's the way it goes. I don't know if Bobby McBride was getting any scholarship money, but Korey Morton and Garrett Coe have shown enough improvement in their careers at UConn to earn scholarship money, the same cannot be said about McBride.

This is an excerpt from the Garrett Coe article I posted separately just a bit ago…

-> “Here, it’s the exact opposite,” Penders said. “Listen, I get paid to win games. If you’re not producing and you have a scholarship, guess who’s head’s on the chopping block? Before it’s mine, it’s going to be you. We’re going to ask you to go somewhere else.”

Penders has had those type of conversations with some players on this year’s roster. Coe and Morton, meanwhile, will get scholarship money moving forward. <-

It is what it is… it can be done professionally and w/ the desire for the kids to find the right “home” for their talents.

Reaction Score
This is from the Garrett Coe article I posted separately just a bit ago…

-> “Here, it’s the exact opposite,” Penders said. “Listen, I get paid to win games. If you’re not producing and you have a scholarship, guess who’s head’s on the chopping block? Before it’s mine, it’s going to be you. We’re going to ask you to go somewhere else.”

Penders has had those type of conversations with some players on this year’s roster. Coe and Morton, meanwhile, will get scholarship money moving forward. <-

Funny thing, I noticed your Garrett Coe article post right after I posted my above bit on Bobby McBride. Going to read the Garrett Coe article after dinner. The bit that you quoted on scholarships above makes it sound even more interesting to me.

Reaction Score
This is an excerpt from the Garrett Coe article I posted separately just a bit ago…

It is what it is… it can be done professionally and w/ the desire for the kids to find the right “home” for their talents.
Fascinating read.

As I read about limited scholarships, couldn’t help but wonder about how we may be hurt by the imminent changes in college baseball with regard to scholarships. Kendall Rogers recently said the changes are closer than we think. If power conferences are all of a sudden giving away 25-30 scholarships, what effect does that have on UConn? Genuine question, not rhetorical.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Fascinating read.

As I read about limited scholarships, couldn’t help but wonder about how we may be hurt by the imminent changes in college baseball with regard to scholarships. Kendall Rogers recently said the changes are closer than we think. If power conferences are all of a sudden giving away 25-30 scholarships, what effect does that have on UConn? Genuine question, not rhetorical.
I think we have to think about dropping sports. It won’t be football, basketball, baseball, hockey, or soccer.

Reaction Score

This is definitely a change from say the 2000's Penders era. When I played, you would never have your scholarship lowered unless you caused it by your actions off the field (academics or social repercussions). I saw very few players asked to transfer or look elsewhere. With that said, I am fine with this change as its the only way to compete now a days. 11.7 is a tiny number and scholarship dollars are precious commodities needed to keep or entice the players who can win games.

arch

Reaction Score
I think we have to think about dropping sports. It won’t be football, basketball, baseball, hockey, or soccer.
That leaves golf and track on the block?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That leaves golf and track on the block?
I think so. We aren’t going to cut any of them money sports, even if one of them currently is losing money significantly. Likewise, I feel pretty comfortable we’re not goning to cut a sport that we just built or are in the process of building an arena for. And cutting women sports is challenging given title IX, so what does that leave?

Reaction Score
I think so. We aren’t going to cut any of them money sports, even if one of them currently is losing money significantly. Likewise, I feel pretty comfortable we’re not goning to cut a sport that we just built or are in the process of building an arena for. And cutting women sports is challenging given title IX, so what does that leave?
I believe golf was close during that last round of cuts. Potentially even getting cut before an internal alumni fundraiser/donor stepped up behind the scenes. I’d be interested in how expensive it is. Such a small roster in terms of numbers but expensive equipment, travel and greens fees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom