UConn Baseball 2020 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2020

Reaction Score
A preliminary 2020 season baseball roster has been posted on the UConn athletics website. This is a bit of a surprise, as UConn baseball the last several years hasn’t posted any rosters until shortly before the spring season started. It seems to be a bit of a work in progress, as Anthony Prato is still listed on the roster. I call that gremlins at work, and no doubt it will be corrected at some point.

2020 Baseball Roster - University of Connecticut Athletics

As for the rest of the roster, it had been reported earlier that Karl Johnson had left the team, so he is not listed on this roster. Others not listed on this roster are Gavin Kee and Sam Favieri. Everyone else who was reported earlier on the fall ball roster is listed on this roster. Obviously several cuts still have to be made to reduce the 2020 roster to the 35 player limit. I also expect to see about 4 extra players beyond the 35 player roster to be listed as redshirts, as was done the last couple of years.

By the way, recent transfers Austin Peterson and Devin Kirby are not listed on the 2020 roster. Neither of them were UConn students during the fall of 2019, so that could be one reason.

Reaction Score

"Blue Collar Huskies". One of the things that Coach Penders touched on in the recent interview with UCTV Sports is that with the new baseball facility coming to fruition, he expects it will make recruiting easier. Still, he says he wants to be careful and keep on having a blue collar work ethic mentality with the players he recruits into the program. The blue collar work ethic is at the core of the UConn baseball program, and it is one that he wants to maintain.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Coach Penders doesn't say it outright, but in this speech snippet he basically describes the blue collar work ethic that he looks for in his players.

Two UConn coaches that I love listening to are Penders and Geno. They always have something interesting to say.

By the way, the baseball and softball teams were involved in the cemetery workout. I saw or heard a reference to five total teams. Anyone know who the other three teams are?

Reaction Score
A preliminary 2020 season baseball roster has been posted on the UConn athletics website. This is a bit of a surprise, as UConn baseball the last several years hasn’t posted any rosters until shortly before the spring season started. It seems to be a bit of a work in progress, as Anthony Prato is still listed on the roster. I call that gremlins at work, and no doubt it will be corrected at some point.

2020 Baseball Roster - University of Connecticut Athletics

As for the rest of the roster, it had been reported earlier that Karl Johnson had left the team, so he is not listed on this roster. Others not listed on this roster are Gavin Kee and Sam Favieri. Everyone else who was reported earlier on the fall ball roster is listed on this roster. Obviously several cuts still have to be made to reduce the 2020 roster to the 35 player limit. I also expect to see about 4 extra players beyond the 35 player roster to be listed as redshirts, as was done the last couple of years.

By the way, recent transfers Austin Peterson and Devin Kirby are not listed on the 2020 roster. Neither of them were UConn students during the fall of 2019, so that could be one reason.

The 2020 roster has disappeared from the website. Oh well.

Reaction Score
By the way, the baseball and softball teams were involved in the cemetery workout. I saw or heard a reference to five total teams. Anyone know who the other three teams are?

Found it... list of all participating teams.

Thanks. Ok, five teams in addition to baseball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

No doubt UConn's final year in the AAC will be just as crazy as ever.

Also from the Collegiate Baseball poll, some of UConn's opponents:

2 - Vandy
10 - Michigan
RV - Cal Poly, Bryant, Seton Hall, Stony Brook, Central, Army, Harvard

Reaction Score
Looks like little Wink could be out for season. Elbow surgery with a 9 month rehab

Reaction Score

Ugh. Obviously, losing Pat Winkel for the season is a huge loss for the team, both for his catching skills behind the plate, and his big power potential at the plate. Still, Paul Gozzo (who is one of the co-captains of this team) is certainly a quality backup and will no doubt be the number one guy behind the plate, with Cole Brodnanksy now the primary backup. Before this, Gozzo looked like he was going to get some time at D.H. when not spelling Winkel behind the plate. Will be interesting to see who ends up with the big chunk of the D.H. duties.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is a huge loss. Nothing against Gozzo, but Winkel was an incredible defensive catcher and even if Gozzo replaces his bat that leaves a hole at DH. Curious whether we would consider moving big Wink back to 1b, letting Crawford DH (where it's easier not to give up pitching) and hoping someone can step up in the outfield.

There is no way we are as good a team in 2020 after this. Very unfortunate.

Reaction Score
That is a huge loss. Nothing against Gozzo, but Winkel was an incredible defensive catcher and even if Gozzo replaces his bat that leaves a hole at DH. Curious whether we would consider moving big Wink back to 1b, letting Crawford DH (where it's easier not to give up pitching) and hoping someone can step up in the outfield.

There is no way we are as good a team in 2020 after this. Very unfortunate.

I expect the Pat Winkel injury will not change his brother moving to CF and Crawford taking over at 1B. I suspect they see Chris as the best solution for the CF spot given his athletic ability, and that if this move works out it could give him more notice on the part of pro scouts. I think the coaching staff wants to establish Crawford as an everyday player first, and will bring him along slowly on the mound, thus reducing the amount of stuff Crawford needs to figure out during his freshman season. At least that is the impression I have gotten in my head, but we will see how that develops. Of course, if Crawford has a slow start at the bat, that could bring Chris Winkel back to the infield, but it really sounds like the coaching staff really likes the offense that Crawford could potentially supply.

I suspect the D.H. spot will now be a revolving door at the beginning of the season unless someone gets hot and takes over the spot. Another possibility depends on Christian Fedko. If his defense at 2B does not satisfy the coaching staff, then Fedko could end up seeing more time as the D.H., especially now that Paul Gozzo will be getting the bulk of his playing time at catcher.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anybody know when the eligibility of the pitchers - the NC transfer in particular - will be decided?

Reaction Score
I expect the Pat Winkel injury will not change his brother moving to CF and Crawford taking over at 1B. I suspect they see Chris as the best solution for the CF spot given his athletic ability, and that if this move works out it could give him more notice on the part of pro scouts. I think the coaching staff wants to establish Crawford as an everyday player first, and will bring him along slowly on the mound, thus reducing the amount of stuff Crawford needs to figure out during his freshman season. At least that is the impression I have gotten in my head, but we will see how that develops. Of course, if Crawford has a slow start at the bat, that could bring Chris Winkel back to the infield, but it really sounds like the coaching staff really likes the offense that Crawford could potentially supply.

I suspect the D.H. spot will now be a revolving door at the beginning of the season unless someone gets hot and takes over the spot. Another possibility depends on Christian Fedko. If his defense at 2B does not satisfy the coaching staff, then Fedko could end up seeing more time as the D.H., especially now that Paul Gozzo will be getting the bulk of his playing time at catcher.
Penders will protect Christians draft status by playing him at 2B, DH,s don,t get drafted, plenty of options, as the saying goes if you can hit you will play. Bummed by Winkels injury, could have been a College AA this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom