UConn Baseball 2020 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2020

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/UConnBSB
Thank you to @American_BSB for being one of the top college baseball conferences in the country. We embraced the grind of a weekend series in the league.

We were a proud member of the league and wish their players, coaches and their staffs the best moving forward!

What an amazing classy thing for Coach Penders to say about the American
It's too bad that other coaches and some administrators could not display that much professionalism and flair. Some just want to go on about the NBE...........................

Reaction Score
UConn Baseball (@UConnBSB) | Twitter
Thank you to @American_BSB for being one of the top college baseball conferences in the country. We embraced the grind of a weekend series in the league.

We were a proud member of the league and wish their players, coaches and their staffs the best moving forward!

What an amazing classy thing for Coach Penders to say about the American
It's too bad that other coaches and some administrators could not display that much professionalism and flair. Some just want to go on about the NBE...........................

I'm sure Coach Penders and company meant every word of it in terms of the UConn baseball program and what it got from being in the AAC, you could tell by his interviews over the years that Penders felt that way. Not too many other people connected with the Huskies felt the AAC was a benefit to any other sports program at UConn. From other people a statement like that might just come across as being false, so it might be best to just keep their mouths shut.

Reaction Score

>>There's a strong possibility that an exhibition game will be the first event in Elliot Ballpark, according to Penders who's in his 17th season as a head coach and served as an assistant before that.

Penders and Benedict already have discussed doing something that involves the UConn baseball family. Former coach Andy Baylock suggested an alumni game.

"It's got to be UConn baseball folks if we do any kind of function," Penders said. "We'll figure all those things out. That's definitely a possibility, something along those lines. I would want our current team there in a perfect world. If that means it has to wait until the fall, so be it.<<

Reaction Score

>>There's a strong possibility that an exhibition game will be the first event in Elliot Ballpark, according to Penders who's in his 17th season as a head coach and served as an assistant before that.

Penders and Benedict already have discussed doing something that involves the UConn baseball family. Former coach Andy Baylock suggested an alumni game.

"It's got to be UConn baseball folks if we do any kind of function," Penders said. "We'll figure all those things out. That's definitely a possibility, something along those lines. I would want our current team there in a perfect world. If that means it has to wait until the fall, so be it.<<

Another quote:

>Doug and Sheila Elliot, two UConn graduates, were the driving force behind UConn's new stadium. A former player, Doug is a passionate, long-time member of the UConn baseball family. He was a founding member of the Dugout Club, the program's support group, in 1991. His son also suited up for the Huskies.

Penders immediately thought of the generous, dedicated couple when athletic director David Benedict informed him of the difficult news on Monday.

"I've reached out to them," Penders said. "They're such good people. They're more worried about our guys' health and them getting home okay, and are they in touch with their families, and it's important to social distance.

"Doug was worried about my cough in a post-game interview last week. That's just the kind of person that he is. He's texting me, 'Are you okay? You've got to take care of your health. Are your lungs okay?'

"So, I'm thinking of him and he's thinking of us."<

Reaction Score
This is a bummer for the 2020 team and too bad that a team picture was never taken. As we all know, even if a team has the same players from one year to another, the team changes. I was fortunate to see their series in Port St. Lucie and was hoping to see the team in Tampa, Hartford, Elliot Ballpark, the AAC Tournament and the NCAAs. Exciting team and I look forward to more exciting games and players in the future.

Reaction Score

The Coach Penders quote "We never even got a team picture" sticks with me. Why? Because it is an apt description of what us fans got in the brief 4 weekend season that we experienced with this team. We the fans got only a very brief viewing of this team that did not give us a truly completed picture of this particular team. It was looking like it potentially was going to be a very good and interesting team, but overall the actual picture from the crystal ball ends up being all fairly hazy on how it would all shake out in the end.

Certain things were shaping up, such as Nick Krauth being the true ace of the starting pitching staff, and Caleb Wurster as the no question about it relief ace. While there were a bunch of guys who showed something out of the bullpen over that short time period, we did not get to experience them over the long haul of the season to see how they all truly would pan out and see what roles the various pitchers would eventually settle into. And we really did not see a healthy Jimmy Wang, and we didn't see Justin Willis at all.

Things were a bit more settled in the field, but it still wasn't a totally complete picture. For instance, Erik Stock was looking great at the bat over eight starts, but that still is not the long haul of the season. However, Reggie Crawford was thoroughly established at 1B, although his pitching potential remains a wisp in the wind. Would David Langer have grabbed the 3B spot? We'll just never know. We could go on and on this, so I'll just stop here. We got a glimpse of the team, but certainly not a clear team picture in that brief time.

Reaction Score

Reggie Crawford one of 5 Fab Freshman (outside of the Freshman of the Yr from WSU):

>Reggie Crawford, Connecticut: Crawford’s two-way potential helped him rank No. 2 on our list of Impact Freshmen in the AAC season preview, but he made his biggest impact with the bat this spring, hitting .365/.414/.558 with seven doubles and 16 RBIs in 52 at-bats. After impressing me in the fall, Crawford made a strong first impression on Kendall Rogers in Week One.<

Nick Krauth was named Breakout Pitcher of the Year:

>The Huskies hoped Krauth could bolster their pitching staff after transferring in from Diablo Valley (Calif.) JC, but they certainly did not expect him to make the huge splash he did. In four starts, Krauth went 4-0, 0.37 with 24 strikeouts and nine walks in 24.2 innings, holding hitters to a .167 average. He also beat highly ranked Michigan twice in seven days, limiting the Wolverines to one unearned run over 5.2 innings on Feb. 16, then holding them to one earned run over five innings on Feb. 23. Here’s what we wrote about Krauth after seeing the Huskies in the fall:

A new juco transfer, righty Nick Krauth, could also factor into the starting mix. He’s a skinny 6-foot-1, 168-pounder whose 87-88 fastball plays up because of his deception, and he showed the makings of three secondary pitches in the scrimmage. A bounceback from New Mexico, Krauth is another guy who has really matured over the last year, and he could be in line for plenty of innings.

The afore-mentioned Denz and Shawver are obvious honorable mentions for this category, as both took huge leaps after posting ERAs north of 7.00 last year.<

...and: Updated Top 10 Prospects for 2020 Draft.
  1. Hudson Haskin, OF, Tulane (No. 47 on the D1Baseball Top 250)
  2. Gavin Williams, RHP, East Carolina (No. 62)
  3. Joey Wiemer, OF, Cincinnati (No. 88)
  4. Carson Ragsdale, RHP, South Florida (No. 100)
  5. Alec Burleson, OF/1B/LHP, East Carolina (No. 138)
  6. Bryson Worrell, OF, East Carolina (No. 142)
  7. Braden Olthoff, RHP, Tulane (No. 161)
  8. Jack Sinclair, RHP, UCF (No. 225)
  9. Dalton Wingo, OF, UCF (No. 238)
  10. Caleb Wurster, LHP, Connecticut (No. 250)

Reaction Score

>>When it comes to college sports, it's usually the upperclassmen who are the most important players. They are more mature, more experienced and they've had more time to improve their skills. But that doesn't mean that freshmen can't come in right away and make an impact.

The UConn baseball team had three players who did just that in its shortened season this year: first baseman Reggie Crawford and pitchers Andrew Marrero and Pat Gallagher.

"It's like they can kind of skip a rung on the ladder," head coach Jim Penders said about his freshman standouts. "I think after the first few appearances, first few games that those guys were out there, they quickly became sophomores, and that's the best compliment a coach can give you."<<

Reaction Score

>>When it comes to college sports, it's usually the upperclassmen who are the most important players. They are more mature, more experienced and they've had more time to improve their skills. But that doesn't mean that freshmen can't come in right away and make an impact.

The UConn baseball team had three players who did just that in its shortened season this year: first baseman Reggie Crawford and pitchers Andrew Marrero and Pat Gallagher.

"It's like they can kind of skip a rung on the ladder," head coach Jim Penders said about his freshman standouts. "I think after the first few appearances, first few games that those guys were out there, they quickly became sophomores, and that's the best compliment a coach can give you."<<

Another quote from the above article:

>In that outing (Presbyterian), Gallagher threw three shutout innings in which he allowed just two hits and struck out seven. (Coach) MacDonald said he should be competing for a spot in the weekend rotation next season.

Due to the contributions Marrero and Gallagher made as freshmen, MacDonald has higher expectations for them now because he knows they will be the foundation of future pitching staffs.<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom