OT: Uconn Admissions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Uconn Admissions

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
As with many to most very competitive public universities, kids, parents, less clued in guidance counselors, etc may ignore applicants compete against other applicants, e.g., 1. identical grades at higher vs lower level college prep curriculum levels within the same high schools are not equal; 2. Kids from more vs less competetive schools; 3. heavy AP vs less to no AP; 4. Extracurricular leadership vs little to no participation; 5. Schools with many vs advantage to those with few UConn applicants (in-state separate from out-of-state/country); 6. Kids in socioeconomically advantaged vs disadvantaged backgrounds, locations, etc (a la UConnRock’s Penn reference) 7. Kids applying to engineering, nursing, business & other tougher schools/majors vs traditionally easier schools/majors such as Coms, Ag, some liberal arts, etc; 8. Other related considerations at UConn, MD, IU, Michigan, UVA, UT, Cal, UW, etc

Bottom line: it’s highly likely applicant analyses are far more involved or sophisticated than may initially meet the eyes, form anecdotal opinions, etc

I don't disagree with anything you said It's still surprising how things have changed. I went to a high school that 15+ kids in a class got into UConn when i graduated. Now, kids who had the same stats as my friends who got into UConn aren't getting in now.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with anything you said It's still surprising how things have changed. I went to a high school that 15+ kids in a class got into UConn when i graduated. Now, kids who had the same stats as my friends who got into UConn aren't getting in now.
Congrats, we’re smahtuh than we knew previously!

Reaction Score
One trick -- try to find a high school for your kids that doesn't give class rank on their students. That way, colleges will be forced to look at grades and courses and not some ranking system that makes it much harder if you went to a competitive high school. Many prep schools won't give class rank. I believe some public high schools will not either.

Reaction Score
Other Advice -

For the top schools the essays are incredibly important. A student needs something that gets them noticed. To the point where the writing of the common app college essay was a significant part of my son's first semester English class, starting with the selection of a topic through a publishing party where each student's essay is made available to the class and faculty. Grades are just numbers, the essay is the opportunity to stand out as a person.

Avoid College Confidential or other college admissions blogs/websites. Trying to figure out the admissions game is very frustrating. To be honest, the most valuable thing is for the student to get to know the admissions staff at the college of interest. They have a wealth of information and seem more than willing to assist. This also shows a high level of interest in the school. Start reaching out early in the process because as deadlines approach the admissions folks are very busy, especially at large schools.

Visit the colleges when school is in session. Summer visits fit better into schedules, but you do not get a feel for the campus when a small % of students are around.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Back in 1993 my 970 SAT score, medocre HS grades and just barely graduating in the top third of my class got me in to UConn.
I know there was a big CT brain drain going on back then and UConn wasn't what it is now but still I wondered how I pulled it off. But whatever, I was in and that's all I wanted in the world at the time.
It wasn't until I got up there and started getting campus mail every other day and calls to my room for mentorship availability from PRLACC that I began to realize my hispanic last name probably played a big part in me being accepted.
I'm the whitest white boy you'll ever meet and my last name was from my grandfather who came over from Spain when he was 1 years old so the joke was on them for stereotyping me based on a name.

I did my part and graduated in 1997 with a 2.2 overall GPA.

UCONN

1551811196086.png

Reaction Score
This goes back to 2010, but my daughter with a 3.80 GPA and 2080 Sat (Math, Reading, Writing) was accepted at Trinity and Skidmore, wait listed at UConn. Hard to figure. She loved Trinity (small) school and hated UConn (too big). So it worked out pretty well. Go Bantams!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Back in 1993 my 970 SAT score, medocre HS grades and just barely graduating in the top third of my class got me in to UConn.
I know there was a big CT brain drain going on back then and UConn wasn't what it is now but still I wondered how I pulled it off. But whatever, I was in and that's all I wanted in the world at the time.
It wasn't until I got up there and started getting campus mail every other day and calls to my room for mentorship availability from PRLACC that I began to realize my hispanic last name probably played a big part in me being accepted.
I'm the whitest white boy you'll ever meet and my last name was from my grandfather who came over from Spain when he was 1 years old so the joke was on them for stereotyping me based on a name.

UCONN

View attachment 40548

Classic. I think I had like 1250 or 1270 back in 1984 (old 1600 scale before re-centering in 1995). No idea what my HS GPA was. I got a D- in typing and a D in Spanish III. Grades were much lower back then, but that couldn't have helped. UConn admitted me. No helpful surname.

I worry about my daughter because she's not heavy on extracurriculars. She does go to a private Catholic school, and is in all honors classes. So that will likely help.

C

Chief00

Interesting stats, in an effort to avoid this post ending up in the pool. I wish they gave more data on family income. 48% minorities seem crazy high, I'd love to know what % of that was kids who would have made it anyways.
Yeah, like UConn Storrs 30% minority admission, don’t assume it’s a lifeline to kids in the hood. At UConn half of that 30% is Asian, with many being wealthy Chinese paying top dollar compared to In State. It’s a way Herbst created a diversity narrative but kept the money rolling in.

Last edited by a moderator:

polycom

Reaction Score
Yeah, like UConn Storrs 30% minority admission, don’t assume it’s a lifeline to kids in the hood. At UConn half of that 30% is Asian, with many being wealthy Chinese paying top dollar compared to In State. It’s a way Herbst crested a diversity narrative but kept the money rolling in.

This is basically what I was referencing. 48% minority what % of those kids were super rich or legacy kids.

Reaction Score

UCONN

View attachment 40548
Similar things happen with changes of names from marriage. Had a friend in CA who was struggling to get into the graduate nursing program that she was interested in. She married her white as could be husband with an hispanic last name and the acceptance letters followed.

polycom

Reaction Score
Similar things happen with changes of names from marriage. Had a friend in CA who was struggling to get into the graduate nursing program that she was interested in. She married her white as could be husband with an hispanic last name and the acceptance letters followed.

What you're trying to do isn't good...

Reaction Score
It is a tough process. My son got into UCONN (in state) - but didn't get into a lot of the other state schools he applied to (a bunch of the B1G schools). Hard to say what the exact reasons are - but once we made him available on one of the running recruiting sites - he got tons of inbound and ended up going to a D3 school to run. I'm one of those people that thinks that people overstress on this stuff. He had great grades, decent SATs, tons of great stuff on his resume, and from the time he could walk had always wanted to go to UCONN. Then he gets in and doesn't go because he decided he wanted to run. And he couldn't be happier than where he is. People end up where they end up.

My younger son is a sophomore in HS - and I have no idea where he is going to end up. But he has no interest in UCONN.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is a tough process. My son got into UCONN (in state) - but didn't get into a lot of the other state schools he applied to (a bunch of the B1G schools). Hard to say what the exact reasons are - but once we made him available on one of the running recruiting sites - he got tons of inbound and ended up going to a D3 school to run. I'm one of those people that thinks that people overstress on this stuff. He had great grades, decent SATs, tons of great stuff on his resume, and from the time he could walk had always wanted to go to UCONN. Then he gets in and doesn't go because he decided he wanted to run. And he couldn't be happier than where he is. People end up where they end up.

My younger son is a sophomore in HS - and I have no idea where he is going to end up. But he has no interest in UCONN.

his father bought the softball foul poles ;)

Reaction Score
I love these schools acting like their commodity is better than everyone else's commodity.

Undergraduate education, with only a very few exceptions, is plywood. Find the cheapest place that you're comfortable and go with it. Tough message for an 18 year old worried about status, born to parents worried about their kids' status . . .

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Could you imagine what admissions might be like if names where removed from the process? Results could get interesting.

Reaction Score
What you're trying to do isn't good...
Debated whether to post. Probably should have stopped myself. No ill intent and I was not "trying" to do anything. The quest for diversity is noble, and has positive impacts, but like any broad based program where hundreds of thousands of applications are reviewed at thousands of colleges there are stories that cast a sometimes negative light. My point being that the college app process is imperfect and people with high school kids need to understand this as early in the process as possible.

Reaction Score
This is very false. For instance, to transfer into the business school once you are a student you need something like a 3.6-3.7 GPA. For the nursing school its even higher, like 3.8+. Im sure the engineering school is similar.

Compared to being an incoming freshman.....sure.

You have control over your GPA. As a native student, the odds are better. I didn't say it was easy. Just better.

The best in-state avenue is the GAP Program offered at the community colleges for several of Uconn's programs (not Social Work).

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Could you imagine what admissions might be like if names where removed from the process? Results could get interesting.

Perhaps not in the way you think.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Perhaps not in the way you think.
Honestly, I have no idea what would happen, but it sure as hell would be interesting because there is no way you can tell me universities do not use surnames to manage "balance" in their selection process.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Honestly, I have no idea what would happen, but it sure as hell would be interesting because there is no way you can tell me universities do not use surnames to manage "balance" in their selection process.

So you don't think those surnames would make it in on their merits?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Ugh. Daughter will be a HS junior next year and I am dreading this aspect. Has no idea what she wants to do. We will start casually looking at colleges this summer.
You’re a Kansas man right? Doesn’t KU and KSU have great deals for in-state kids?

Side note- my brother applied to (and a will graduate in May from) Nebraska and wound up paying less than he would have anywhere in state. 3.9 GPA 1350 SAT kid in high school. Working foir a top 3 US bank upon graduation graduating with a 3.3 GPA. It’s really less about where you go to school and if you 1. Get good (enough) grades and 2. Can get scholarship money to help out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom