UConn 95 and SC today | The Boneyard

UConn 95 and SC today

Reaction Score
Ok spoiler alert. Unless something drastic happens SC wins the next two games easily. No team left has the size or depth to compete. I see two comparisons to other teams. 95 UConn women. Lobo and Wolters at 6'4 and 6'7 and Elliott meant no team could keep the off the boards or match up defensively. Teams wanted to put their best defender on Lobo, now Boston, and that means some 6'3 or so player has to defend Wolters or Cordoso and that is not happening (I know Cordoso doesn't start but when she plays they have no answer at all). The other comparison is today's UConn men's team. Clingan comes off the bench and other teams just have no answer and Uconn doesn't play both bigs together. Drew Timme just could not figure out what to do against Clingan. Cardoso is the player you can't match up with. The other final four teams also have no answer. The other bigs on SC are also impossible to keep off the glass against undersized defenders. Iowa's bigs are to slow as well. They will get in foul trouble. It will be one of the great upsets ever if Dawn isn't holding the trophy Sunday night.

Reaction Score
Ok spoiler alert. Unless something drastic happens SC wins the next two games easily. No team left has the size or depth to compete. I see two comparisons to other teams. 95 UConn women. Lobo and Wolters at 6'4 and 6'7 and Elliott meant no team could keep the off the boards or match up defensively. Teams wanted to put their best defender on Lobo, now Boston, and that means some 6'3 or so player has to defend Wolters or Cordoso and that is not happening (I know Cordoso doesn't start but when she plays they have no answer at all). The other comparison is today's UConn men's team. Clingan comes off the bench and other teams just have no answer and Uconn doesn't play both bigs together. Drew Timme just could not figure out what to do against Clingan. Cardoso is the player you can't match up with. The other final four teams also have no answer. The other bigs on SC are also impossible to keep off the glass against undersized defenders. Iowa's bigs are to slow as well. They will get in foul trouble. It will be one of the great upsets ever if Dawn isn't holding the trophy Sunday night.
I'm hoping some of South Carolina's front court dominance ends after this season if Boston, Amihere, Beal and Saxton leave........

Reaction Score
Going into the tournament I thought 2 teams could beat SC, UCONN and Iowa. UCONN would need a great game from it's guards but they had the size to compete. The other is Iowa and I like them for a different reason, they can score a bunch of points and they make the opponent play defense. I still think Clark is the best player in the country but the validation will come when she is able to do what she does against SC.

In todays game I don't know if you can ever count out a team that can shoot the 3. If they have that magical night anyone can beat anyone else, at least at this time of year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If the rest of South Carolina's games are officiated like the Maryland game yesterday, the Carolina women will win in a landslide. That being said, Iowa's slim chance at being competitive on Friday depends on whether they can spread the floor out like Maryland did in the first quarter yesterday. For now I am just hoping Iowa can keep the game close and not get blown out.
I don't see Iowa getting blown out, though the final score may indicate it being a blowout. South Carolina is a team that slowly drains your battery and wears you out over time. They don't jump down your throat, pick up a 15 point lead and coast that to a blow out like UCONN did during the Stewart years. Against good teams it is usually a grind it out battle in the first half, then SC creates separation in the 3rd/beginning of the 4th. We saw that vs. UCONN, Maryland yesterday, LSU, both Tennessee games, and vs UCLA in the Sweet 16.

Iowa was only blown out once this year, and it was vs a potent offensive squad (Maryland) who nailed 14 threes, shot 93% from the line and forced 24 turnovers. I don't see those kinds of numbers coming from South Carolina. Iowa's main caveat will be can they score against South Carolina's half court defense, and can they grab enough rebounds to prevent SC from feasting inside.

I do think they should take a page (or 2) from Brenda's game plan yesterday. Turning the game into a track meet could yield some quick buckets with Clark's ability to be an outlet passer, and Maryland did a good job in the first quarter of pulling Aliyah Boston out of the paint which created backdoor cut opportunities at the rim. Bluder willl need a masterful game plan and will need to be able to make adjustments to pull off the upset.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I don't see Iowa getting blown out, though the final score may indicate it being a blowout. South Carolina is a team that slowly drains your battery and wears you out over time. They don't jump down your throat, pick up a 15 point lead and coast that to a blow out like UCONN did during the Stewart years. Against good teams it is usually a grind it out battle in the first half, then SC creates separation in the 3rd/beginning of the 4th. We saw that vs. UCONN, Maryland yesterday, LSU, both Tennessee games, and vs UCLA in the Sweet 16.

Iowa was only blown out once this year, and it was vs a potent offensive squad (Maryland) who nailed 14 threes, shot 93% from the line and forced 24 turnovers. I don't see those kinds of numbers coming from South Carolina. Iowa's main caveat will be can they score against South Carolina's half court defense, and can they grab enough rebounds to prevent SC from feasting inside.

I do think they should take a page (or 2) from Brenda's game plan yesterday. Turning the game into a track meet could yield some quick buckets with Clark's ability to be an outlet passer, and Maryland did a good job in the first quarter of pulling Aliyah Boston out of the paint which created backdoor cut opportunities at the rim. Bluder willl need a masterful game plan and will need to be able to make adjustments to pull off the upset.
Nicely written post. I only have one minor correction. Add the word "luck" to your last sentence. They don't need a lot, but they will need some luck along with everything you indicated.

As I have said in other threads, Iowa is my 2nd favorite women's basketball team, so for obvious reasons they're currently my favorite team since tOSU put UConn into early retirement. I hope to catch your optimism fever as we reach game time on Friday. :)

Reaction Score
I did think the refs blew the whistle on every play which helps a team that's very deep. I thought MD got the short end but we're never going to win. If the game is called tight the Iowa bigs who are slower will be in foul trouble

Reaction Score
This aged badly!! :D

Reaction Score
SC is great at rebounding and team D, depth. They are flawed at point and shooting the 3. Boston looked morose. The better team still has to play well. Let’s hope the men see it through tomorrow

Reaction Score
Another comparable team with that kind of size would be the 2019 national championship Baylor team with Kalani Brown (6’7) and Lauren Cox (6’4) who played extremely well together and had some good guard play around them. Interestingly, Stanford could pull something similar next year with Cameron Brink (6’4 of 6’5) and Lauren Betts (6’7) given Brink’s versatility.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Turns out the comp works with UConn 96. Both teams coming in holding the title. Both team clearly the best and should win. Both teams lose with their star centers under performing.

Reaction Score
Iowa’s center is 6-3, LSU’s tallest player is 6-4.
Did you watch Cardoza and Boston dominate? I wasn't comparing us to Iowa, they have Clark. I was referring to what UConn needs to win national titles again.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did you watch Cardoza and Boston dominate? I wasn't comparing us to Iowa, they have Clark. I was referring to what UConn needs to win national titles again.
After 6-7 Kara Wolters, what “very tall” post player, greater than 6-5, won a championship with UConn?

Also, 6-3 Iowa center Monika Czinano had 18 points yesterday, 6-5 Boston had 8 and 6-7 Cardoso had 14.

Reaction Score
2000, 2002, 2003, 2004? If you mean 6'6" or taller that is only one 1995
I'm saying to win against big teams. Remember Britney Griner? I think Cardoso will dominate the next two years. We don't have anyone that can handle her. Don't necessarily draw a connection between years we've won and the big center, but look at where the game is today. That's more my point.

Reaction Score
Depending on matchups, I think just having Edwards could be enough to give UConn another title. The only posts I’d worry about her guarding next year are Brink and Cardoso.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
After 6-7 Kara Wolters, what “very tall” post player, greater than 6-5, won a championship with UConn?

Also, 6-3 Iowa center Monika Czinano had 18 points yesterday, 6-5 Boston had 8 and 6-7 Cardoso had 14.
And I believe most all of Monika's field goals did not require a dribble and we know that the Huskies also have a few players that can feed Aaliyah, Ice, Ayanna and Jana like that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm saying to win against big teams. Remember Britney Griner? I think Cardoso will dominate the next two years. We don't have anyone that can handle her. Don't necessarily draw a connection between years we've won and the big center, but look at where the game is today. That's more my point.
I remember Griner, she won one NCAA championship. 6-4 Tina Charles won 2 championships and dominated Griner, so did 6-5 Heather Buck for that matter.

How many 6-6+ women are in the game?

Reaction Score
I remember Griner, she won one NCAA championship. 6-4 Tina Charles won 2 championships and dominated Griner, so did 6-5 Heather Buck for that matter.

How many 6-6+ women are in the game?
I still can’t believe Griner only won one NCAA championship. I don’t think we’ll ever see another player like her in the women’s game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom