Men - UConn & 2022 Big East Baseball Tourney@Prasco Park, Mason Ohio > Championship Game **UConn vs. Xavier on Sunday @ Noon** Game on FS2/Mixlr/97-9 ESPN | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Men UConn & 2022 Big East Baseball Tourney@Prasco Park, Mason Ohio > Championship Game **UConn vs. Xavier on Sunday @ Noon** Game on FS2/Mixlr/97-9 ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had to listen both days on the radio. I’m driving through upstate New York. I was just in an antique shop listening to the ninth and thought I had the volume low enough. When Chris Jones yelled in the top of the ninth, I startled her. I smiled and quickly moved on!!
Great job by the team and coaches. So happy and proud to be a UConn fan!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We used 5 pitchers (technically 6 if you count O'Donnell's 1 batter) in 3 games. If you would have guessed that Kirby and Coe was all we needed out of the bullpen, I would have thought you didn't know this team. Amazing stint by Coe who I had thought could have been a midweek starter this year. And Devin Kirby came on so strong after recovering from Tommy John surgery and ultimately getting his confidence back.

I truly think this team has the ability to win a regional due to our starting pitching and overall pitching depth. Offensively, everyone has had their moment in the sun which makes us a dangerous team to pitch to. Looking forward to the Tournament show tomorrow.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

Awesome…I needed a new screen saver!

1482DCC8-D3FD-428D-B4FB-B5188A83B808.jpeg

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Congratulations on a great season. Looking forward to the regionals and beyond. But, where would we be if we had a healthy Reggie Crawford, and had Frank Mozzicato on the pitching staff?
I hear ya, but it would be pretty darn tough to have done much better.

Reaction Score

-> UConn’s Korey Morton had six RBIs in the first two games, but Xavier’s Luke Franzoni, who hit five homers in the tournament, was named its most outstanding player. Five Huskies made the all-tournament team: Huber, Dana, Morton and pitchers Pat Gallagher and Austin Peterson. <-

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Franzoni deserved it. He was a one man wrecking crew.

Reaction Score
Amazing performance by the pitching staff, without even needing Willis, Cooke, Sullivan or Chudoba to even get up and stretch. And the bats did more than enough.

Let’s be honest — with the SOS we played, none of us even know how good we are. We have next weekend to find out. Is our pitching (other than the one lost weekend) really that good, or have we just not faced enough good hitters?

Ask me after next weekend.

Reaction Score
As noted above, UConn outscored the opposition 18-3 in the tournament. More impressive? UConn allowed 3 runs in three games. The rest of the field? Georgetown 20 runs (2 games); Xavier 29 runs (4 games); Creighton 39 runs (3 games).

Reaction Score
Another CT kid scholarship earned today…

… Jim Penders is so underrated as a coach nationally.

I like the bit about Justin Willis telling the coaching staff that they are crazy if they took Devin Kirby out of the game the way he was getting outs.

Coach Penders says that no one is having more fun on the team than Christian Fedko, even if he isn't getting playing time.

Garrett Coe earns a scholarship. At this point not a big surprise considering the amount of innings he has been throwing of late. It will be interesting to see how his role for next season, whether it is as a possible starter, long reliever, or what.

Reaction Score
Amazing performance by the pitching staff, without even needing Willis, Cooke, Sullivan or Chudoba to even get up and stretch. And the bats did more than enough.

Let’s be honest — with the SOS we played, none of us even know how good we are. We have next weekend to find out. Is our pitching (other than the one lost weekend) really that good, or have we just not faced enough good hitters?

Ask me after next weekend.

The other surprise this season was that this was considered a bit of a rebuilding year at the beginning of the season The only known quantities on the team were Stock and Bushling in the starting lineup, and that Peterson and Gallagher would probably be in the weekend starting rotation. And Brown and Fedko pretty much disappear from the lineup at the start of the season. The bullpen was one big question mark, but it generally turned out fine. There were a lot of question marks about who would fill the rest of the roles on this team, but they were certainly filled well.

Reaction Score
I like the bit about Justin Willis telling the coaching staff that they are crazy if they took Devin Kirby out of the game the way he was getting outs.

Coach Penders says that no one is having more fun on the team than Christian Fedko, even if he isn't getting playing time.

Garrett Coe earns a scholarship. At this point not a big surprise considering the amount of innings he has been throwing of late. It will be interesting to see how his role for next season, whether it is as a possible starter, long reliever, or what.

Barring incoming experienced transfers, I think next year’s weekend starters are Gallagher, Cooke and Coe. And will again be very good.

Reaction Score
Barring incoming experienced transfers, I think next year’s weekend starters are Gallagher, Cooke and Coe. And will again be very good.

It is also possible that Gallagher could get drafted and turn pro. We'll see if that happens. It's a long time until next season, but that weekend rotation that is suggested is certainly not outside the realm of it possibly happening.

Reaction Score
It is also possible that Gallagher could get drafted and turn pro. We'll see if that happens. It's a long time until next season, but that weekend rotation that is suggested is certainly not outside the realm of it possibly happening.
I thought Gallagher was a true sophomore and not eligible for another year. Did he redshirt in 2020?

Reaction Score
I thought Gallagher was a true sophomore and not eligible for another year. Did he redshirt in 2020?

Gallagher is definitely eligible to be selected in the MLB draft after this season. Actually, I have it in the back of my head that he was eligible to be drafted after last season due to his age and birth date. This is Gallagher's third season playing with UConn. He is listed as a sophomore, but that is due to his having pitched in the 2020 Covid season which doesn't count for remaining eligible to play college ball.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Penders joining Calhoun, Geno, Morrone, Stephens in a line of unreal coaches over past 50 years
Congrats UConn and Coach Penders
Time to show "the experts" that this team belongs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member