Men - UConn 2021 Big East Baseball Tournament @Prasco Park, Mason Ohio (5/27>5/30) Gms on Big East Digital Network/Mixlr ->Championship Game on FS2 @1p Sun. | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Men UConn 2021 Big East Baseball Tournament @Prasco Park, Mason Ohio (5/27>5/30) Gms on Big East Digital Network/Mixlr ->Championship Game on FS2 @1p Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What was the Creighton “world beaters” article that people were taking about on twitter? I keep seeing references to it, but can’t find the original article or what Creighton players said.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to the team accomplishing one of their goals. UConn was the best team in the Big East, and they showed it.

But they were the best team in the Big East. Now it’s time to go to a Regional and see how good this team is. Time to show that their early season losses were because all the games were on the road, or early in the season when northern teams are at a disadvantage, or because we hadn’t yet learned to avoid making losing plays and make winning ones instead. Next weekend will be when this team gets to make a statement beyond that we went to an easier conference where we were better than everyone.

One thing to keep in mind is that next weekend's Regional is more or less still a road series to some degree. Playing 2 of the other teams will be neutral site games, but the top seed in each Regional will have the home field advantage. Of course, given how this season has progressed UConn has plenty of experience in playing in hostile environments. That they were competitive in virtually every game they played this season (only 2 losses were by more than 2 runs) to me is real feather in their hat, so to speak. Biggest question mark for the Huskies in my mind is pitching depth, both among the starters and the relief core. One of the big detriments to this pandemic season is that it reduced the ability for UConn to further develop more pitching depth.

Reaction Score
What was the Creighton “world beaters” article that people were taking about on twitter? I keep seeing references to it, but can’t find the original article or what Creighton players said.

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn has the pitching depth to go through the losing bracket in a post season tournament. For one thing, you need a dependable fourth starter who can give you some innings, or more bullpen arms you can rely on.

In terms of the toughness of going through the losers bracket, this really only applies to the conference tournament and the first weekend 4 team regional pods of the first round of the NCAA baseball tournament. The second weekend the format changes to a best of 3 series between 2 teams, so there is no loser's bracket to be had. And the 8 team college world series in Omaha which is a double elimination tournament takes over a week to complete as well, so games are not piled on high next to each other. I kind of like the changing formats of each part of the tournament, as it means each team has to adjust to that particular format. And as they say, baseball is a game of adjustments.

Reaction Score
I was a scrolling through the thread to revisit the highlights and this one continues to blow my mind... What a heat seeking missle by Eric Stock.

I repeat what I said at the time. I don't think I've ever seen any player, including a Major Leaguer, throw the ball from the corner to home on one hop. If others have, I'd love to hear about it. But I don't think it every occurred to anyone on Xavier that UConn wouldn't have to execute a relay quickly and perfectly to avoid a run there.

Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind is that next weekend's Regional is more or less still a road series to some degree. Playing 2 of the other teams will be neutral site games, but the top seed in each Regional will have the home field advantage. Of course, given how this season has progressed UConn has plenty of experience in playing in hostile environments. That they were competitive in virtually every game they played this season (only 2 losses were by more than 2 runs) to me is real feather in their hat, so to speak. Biggest question mark for the Huskies in my mind is pitching depth, both among the starters and the relief core. One of the big detriments to this pandemic season is that it reduced the ability for UConn to further develop more pitching depth.

What you're saying about pitching depth is only true to the extent it's true about anyone. What staff is ready to handle five games in four days with everything on the line in each one. If we had a 5th game today, what would it look like? We start Crawford for three innings, because the easiest time to deal with him switching positions is not at the end of the game, and putting him in and taking him out, but at the beginning. Then even if the big 5 and Coe are totally unavailable (and maybe Marrerro or /coe can give you an inning), we need six innings from some combination of O'Donnell, Lucas, Mayock, Favieri, McBride and Dunlop. Is that what you want? Of course not. But in their fifth game yesterday, Xavier started a pitcher who hadn't thrown five innings combined all year. My point being, the problem you're emphasizing is one almost everyone has. I think we're in as good shape to deal with a fifth game as most, especially as we can seem to count on our big 3 starters giving us a minimum of 18 innings.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I repeat what I said at the time. I don't think I've ever seen any player, including a Major Leaguer, throw the ball from the corner to home on one hop. If others have, I'd love to hear about it. But I don't think it every occurred to anyone on Xavier that UConn wouldn't have to execute a relay quickly and perfectly to avoid a run there.
To me, not only the length and speed of the throw, it was on target too! I have had the privilege of watching Dwight Evans throw laser beams but from a college perspective - that was the best outfield throw I have seen.

Reaction Score
To me, not only the length and speed of the throw, it was on target too! I have had the privilege of watching Dwight Evans throw laser beams but from a college perspective - that was the best outfield throw I have seen.

Roberto Clemente had the best outfield arm I ever saw, but Evans was terrific as well.

Reaction Score
These are the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head, and both of these guys have some of the best arms in the major leagues.

Cespedes

Puig

Reaction Score
These are the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head, and both of these guys have some of the best arms in the major leagues.

Cespedes

Puig
I’m not saying Stock has the arm strength of Clemente, or Dewey Evans, or Jesse Barfield for that matter. But does anyone remember any of them making that throw? Because I dont

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m not saying Stock has the arm strength of Clemente, or Dewey Evans, or Jesse Barfield for that matter. But does anyone remember any of them making that throw? Because I dont
From the corner in left one hopping right to the catcher is a tough throw, I don’t care who you are.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not the corner but definitely would have made it on the fly,

Reaction Score
At first I was like “how do I get that glass?” And then I realized I all I had to do is buy a stadium
I think those were the glasses from the 2011 season banquet. Look close at the top of the logo.

Attachments

• 669FA1DE-1BF6-4E60-A73F-D1819F8E3671.jpeg
    669FA1DE-1BF6-4E60-A73F-D1819F8E3671.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 122
Reaction Score

BIG EAST All-Tournament Team
Jonah Smith, Creighton, Sr., RHP
Ethan Bosacker, Xavier, So., RHP
Ben Casparius, UConn, Jr., RHP
Trevor Olson, Xavier, Sr., LHP
Connor Hood, Seton Hall, Grad., 2B
Ryan Mantle, Creighton, RS