UConn’s Westbrook has sacrificed individual honors for overall success | The Boneyard

UConn’s Westbrook has sacrificed individual honors for overall success

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook, associate coach Chris Dailey was saying late Sunday night, could have easily been the UConn women's basketball team's player of the game in the Huskies' NCAA tournament first-round victory over High Point. That's exactly what Paige Bueckers, a UConn freshman, has been saying about Westbrook all along.

Reaction Score
Great young lady, leader, talented, intelligent, personable, considerate.........A gift that she is staying at UConn.
Her future appears to be unlimited, but what a great coach she would make.....if that is what she wants. I assume she will be doing some grad work. She, as I have said before is the glue! Evina will accept any role assigned to her. She is so unselfish. We will be hearing a lot about her in the future.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
UConn is so fortunate to have Evina. Call her the glue or the Swiss Army knife, it was and is her personality, her character and her leadership that helped the team learn and grow.

And we have her back for another year. We are so lucky she came north.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And so different in all respects from her UTenn rep.
Who could have known what was going on.
From the outside looking in...a prima donna with a belligerent mother in tow to boot.

Who could have possibly known that the real Evina
was so grown up...a leader, a role model, self-sacrificing

Other than Geno, of course... :)

Reaction Score
I for one am extremely happy that E is returning for another year. Another example about caring about the team first and herself second. Her leadership will be of vast importance this coming season. Hopefully we can send all three seniors off with a very special award, a National Championship. Can't wait for the season to begin, oh that means cold weather will return, of I can wait a while.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I for one am extremely happy that E is returning for another year. Another example about caring about the team first and herself second. Her leadership will be of vast importance this coming season. Hopefully we can send all three seniors off with a very special award, a National Championship. Can't wait for the season to begin, oh that means cold weather will return, of I can wait a while.
I can't wait either, because when the season starts it will be between 70 and 80 degrees outside here in Vegas. The 110 to 120's will be in the rear view mirror by then.;)

Reaction Score
Plus she is funny as hell and I love her postgame commentary. I read somewhere she wants to be a sports broadcaster and she would be chefs kiss

Reaction Score
It may have been because of what she went through in that other school, the injuries and her age by the time she was able to play again, not yet fully healthy, during the pandemic. The maturity she showed is uncommon and in interviews, she was always well spoken, with the main focus being how best the team could do. She has impressed me much more than Megan Walker who was ranked ahead of her in H.S. Her decision to return and go for the NC with the team she was part of during this uniquely difficult year speaks volumes.

The returners will make sure that the newcomers honor their Mom as they should.

Reaction Score
And so different in all respects from her UTenn rep.
Who could have known what was going on.
From the outside looking in...a prima donna with a belligerent mother in tow to boot.

Who could have possibly known that the real Evina
was so grown up...a leader, a role model, self-sacrificing

Other than Geno, of course... :)
Yes, Evina's transition--and image--from TN to UConn certainly gives us reminder that we can't believe all that is being said and written about a person. A so-called prima donna can actually be one who is simply dissatisfied with mediocrity because she has higher expectation, and a belligerent mother can turn out to be one who is reasonably protecting her child...

Reaction Score
I have a lot of respect for Evina. We do not realize or even understand the personal pain that she plays through in order to contribute. Geno does. I personally appreciate her quiet way of playing the game: a critical three, 4 or 5 rebounds per game, a few assists, an an occassional steal, and steady comfort to all of the players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom