UConn’s Head Cheerleader | The Boneyard

UConn’s Head Cheerleader

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige currently leads UConn WBB in scoring, 3 pt shooting, FT shooting, assists, steals, minutes played and she is 2nd in rebounds. With all that to focus on you would think she would have a full plate. But Paige has also assumed the role of Head Cheerleader for the Huskies displaying an unabashed and unbridled enthusiasm that is impossible to overlook.

In his presser yesterday, Geno talked about the difficulty of generating energy during games without fans in attendance. He went on to point out that the absence of fans made it important for the players to generate their own energy.

So far this season, Paige is generating about 20 megawatts on her own. Whether she is firing her right fist in the air, exhibiting primal screams of joy or doing her patented double-arm bicep flex, Paige’s exuberance is infectious. In addition there is nothing forced or phony about Paige’s enthusiasm. Her joy for the game of basketball and seeing her teammates succeed is absolutely genuine.

The contrast between Paige and her backcourt running mate is delightful. Evina is all about poise and quiet confidence. Paige is like Evina’s hyperactive younger sister. Together they comprise one of the best backcourt duos in the country.

Whatever happens this season and beyond, the basketball world, and the sports world in general, have a rare opportunity to watch the emergence of a superstar who’s energy, personality and talent will draw fans who have never watched a WBB game in their lives. Remind me how much Paige’s social media presence is worth? :cool:

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Paige currently leads UConn WBB in scoring, 3 pt shooting, FT shooting, assists, steals, minutes played and she is 2nd in rebounds. With all that to focus on you would think she would have a full plate. But Paige has also assumed the role of Head Cheerleader for the Huskies displaying an unabashed and unbridled enthusiasm that is impossible to overlook.

In his presser yesterday, Geno talked about the difficulty of generating energy during games without fans in attendance. He went on to point out that the absence of fans made it important for the players to generate their own energy.

So far this season, Paige is generating about 20 megawatts on her own. Whether she is firing her right fist in the air, exhibiting primal screams of joy or doing her patented double-arm bicep flex, Paige’s exuberance is infectious. In addition there is nothing forced or phony about Paige’s enthusiasm. Her joy for the game of basketball and seeing her teammates succeed is absolutely genuine.

The contrast between Paige and her backcourt running mate is delightful. Evina is all about poise and quiet confidence. Paige is like Evina’s hyperactive younger sister. Together they comprise one of the best backcourt duos in the country.

Whatever happens this season and beyond, the basketball world, and the sports world in general, have a rare opportunity to watch the emergence of a superstar who’s energy, personality and talent will draw fans who have never watched a WBB game in their lives. Remind me how much Paige’s social media presence is worth? :cool:
Just think of how much draw it will be when Fudd is playing with her. That should be a rare level of basketball excellence. :)

Reaction Score
Got to get that front court working. Got to. Evina is really good. Paige - can't say enough. Perhaps the pieces are there if he puts them together, develops them as a core. Next games will be interesting (I hope) for combinations.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige is the latest edition in a long line of emotional and demonstrative leaders of UConn WBB that include the likes of Lou, Steph and the incomparable DT. But if memory serves, none of those former UConn greats displayed their full range of emotional exuberance as freshmen. Paige has no such reticence.

Reaction Score
Just think of how much draw it will be when Fudd is playing with her. That should be a rare level of basketball excellence. :)

I think the real boost to her will be help underneath in the form of DeBerry paired with Edwards. I'm guessing that that will free her to get the ball into her hands more, and reduce pressure on defense.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

So far this season, Paige is generating about 20 megawatts on her own.
Actually it's more like 1.21 gigawatts which is appropriate since Paige is the team's future! ;)

Reaction Score
Sorry, it bugs me, so I have to say something. Obviously anybody can say anything they want to within the rules of the blog.
Why are we talking about next year, when we are an NC contender this year? I know I can ignore it, but why ruin old dude's awesome post.
PB's the future??? As in now? DeBerry??? Really?
This year- I think the X-factor is our bigs. IMO it can happen this year. Imagine PB, E, CW (like against DePaul), improving Nika, improving Mir, return of AM.
The future is now! (somebody said that, right?) Liv, AE, and AG. We're going as far as you guys can take us.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Paige is the latest edition in a long line of emotional and demonstrative leaders of UConn WBB that include the likes of Lou, Steph and the incomparable DT. But if memory serves, none of those former UConn greats displayed their full range of emotional exuberance as freshmen. Paige has no such reticence.
@oldude , Ms Bueckers is the antithesis of reticence. I believe Roget's will update their list of "reticent" antonyms to include "Paige". She is downright contagious in her enthusiasm. :D

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Sorry, it bugs me, so I have to say something. Obviously anybody can say anything they want to within the rules of the blog.
Why are we talking about next year, when we are an NC contender this year? I know I can ignore it, but why ruin old dude's awesome post.
This year- I think the X-factor is our bigs. IMO it can happen this year. Imagine PB, E, CW (like against DePaul), improving Nika, improving Mir, return of AM.
The future is now! (somebody said that, right?) Liv, AE, and AG. We're going as far as you guys can take us.
Yes they are our future, but they are our present, next year will come soon enough. Each years team is unique and I will enjoy watching them, supporting them and thank God that we have the best group of coaches and an outstanding team to embrace. Major props to oldude.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
<MD, I think it is because while everyone knows that this year´s team is very good and may actually go all the way, next year´s team shows signs of being bad for women´s basketball.

Reaction Score
<MD, I think it is because while everyone knows that this year´s team is very good and may actually go all the way, next year´s team shows signs of being bad for women´s basketball.
Love that famous Geno quote. Thanks

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
One of the items I do find interesting is the rarefied air of UConn relevance that Paige is finding herself in-Maya, Stewie and DT. From a FRESHMAN ONLY perspective, Paige is close to a "Maya level" and just ahead of Stewie and comfortably ahead of DT.
BE Fresh of the Week-Maya 10 times, Paige 6 times
Scoring- Maya 17.8 ppg (6th in BE), Paige 18.5 (3rd in BE)
3 pt%- Maya 42%, Paige 55%
Reb-Maya 7.6, Paige 5.6
Double Doubles-Maya 11, Paige 1
Steals- Maya 1.66 (63), Paige 2.55 (28)
Assists-Maya 3.05 (116), Paige 5.72 (63)
Maya USBWA All-American 1st team, Paige-???
Maya BigEast Player of the Year, 2nd in AP POY (Candace Parker).

It's only 11 games vs. Maya's 38 games but man, I never thought I would see another Freshman Maya but I am seeing now...Unbelievable and I can't wait for more. :)

Reaction Score
Exactly tight. Freshmen typically "stay quiet and know their place". Paige is a breath of fresh air in this crazy season.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yup. The kid may turn out to be a playuh!!

Reaction Score
Sad Oh No GIF by Warner Archive

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of the items I do find interesting is the rarefied air of UConn relevance that Paige is finding herself in-Maya, Stewie and DT. From a FRESHMAN ONLY perspective, Paige is close to a "Maya level" and just ahead of Stewie and comfortably ahead of DT.
BE Fresh of the Week-Maya 10 times, Paige 6 times
Scoring- Maya 17.8 ppg (6th in BE), Paige 18.5 (3rd in BE)
3 pt%- Maya 42%, Paige 55%
Reb-Maya 7.6, Paige 5.6
Double Doubles-Maya 11, Paige 1
Steals- Maya 1.66 (63), Paige 2.55 (28)
Assists-Maya 3.05 (116), Paige 5.72 (63)
Maya USBWA All-American 1st team, Paige-???
Maya BigEast Player of the Year, 2nd in AP POY (Candace Parker).

It's only 11 games vs. Maya's 38 games but man, I never thought I would see another Freshman Maya but I am seeing now...Unbelievable and I can't wait for more. :)
When we see a freshman who is good by freshman standards, it's pleasing and makes us think the future is rosy. When we see a freshman who is good compared to upperclassmen, it's exciting and makes us think the future is now. When we see a freshman who is unlike anyone we've seen before, we want to get out the video equipment and remember to tell our grandchildren about the truly special player we saw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom