UConn’s Emotional Exuberance | The Boneyard

UConn’s Emotional Exuberance

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige does a lot for this UConn team. Duh! Awhile back I suggested that Paige also functioned as UConn’s head cheerleader. It now appears that Paige’s emotional exuberance has infected her teammates as well.

The freshman have been unconstrained in displaying their emotions from day 1. But they are reaching a new level of celebration. Nika is perhaps the most intense person on this team. While her energetic chest bumps with teammates are great to watch, I have started to worry that she just might hurt someone.

Lately the upperclassmen have started to give in to displays of emotion. Christyn has always been an emotional player. But over the past few games I have been amazed to see both Liv and Aubrey, among the most stoical Huskies, fire their fists in the air while letting loose primal screams.

Even Evina, who is all about poise and quiet confidence, has been seen smiling broadly of late. For her that’s about as close to losing control as she gets.

The great thing about all of this emotional exuberance is that the team is having fun and experiencing success. The pure joy that players are exhibiting is thrilling to watch and infectious for everyone, including the millions of UConn WBB fans around the world.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I will add that it is Paige's willingness to work her butt off to find ways to score that had gotten the whole team to play coherently and move without the ball and do the little screens and cuts. Night and day.

Reaction Score
I am 78 years old and began watching UConn women's basketball since 1995. I have watched the Teams of Bird, et al, DT, Maya Moore, and Stewart. I am now most fortunate to watch Paige Bueckers as well as the other freshmen on this team play like they have been playing college basketball for two years. Last nights game was almost akin to a Tournament game for the championship.

This season for one has been extraordinary because of the impositions of medical safety but to watch this Team and Paige play basketball runs my emotions from one extreme to the other. I am gratefull for the opportunity to see this and I am very happy for the UConn women's players in their successful journey to have a chance to play for a National Championship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I will add that it is Paige's willingness to work her butt off to find ways to score that had gotten the whole team to play coherently and move without the ball and do the little screens and cuts. Night and day.
Maybe we should give this team a nickname reminiscent of a 1960’s musical group:

Paige Bueckers & the Four Screeners.

Reaction Score
Two general reactions to last night's game: first, in PB we have almost a team-in-one; second, I'm not sure the rest of the team could win the Big Least w/out Buckets. Paige literally won the SC game by herself (on offense). The rest played hard, especially on D, but had few points to contribute. Now, with Miss Magic, UConn might wind up with an NC.
I'm surprised that no one has yet compared Paige to the divine Sabrina . . .
We can probably relax for the rest of the regular season, maybe cheer on Saylor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Two general reactions to last night's game: first, in PB we have almost a team-in-one; second, I'm not sure the rest of the team could win the Big Least w/out Buckets. Paige literally won the SC game by herself (on offense). The rest played hard, especially on D, but had few points to contribute. Now, with Miss Magic, UConn might wind up with an NC.
We can probably relax for the rest of the regular season, maybe cheer on Saylor.
As a freshman, Paige is a significantly better player than Ionescu was as a freshman. Hell, as a freshman, Paige may be better than Ionescu was as a senior.

Reaction Score
Paige's numbers as a Freshman are way better. ( So far) As a senior , Sabrina shot up dramatically in rebounds and assts. As our current crop of freshman improve and great recruits, the same thing will happen to Paige, especially with assts.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Yes, I'm still having a happy face from last night's game.

I actually did not realize that Page scored the last points in the game and all the posts in overtime.

Normally, I would be concerned with one player taking all the shots. I think you can win a lot of games but not a NC set up like that.

However. We didn't have a team with 4 players standing around while 1 player creates her own shots. There were 4 players working their butt's off setting screans, picks, just interfering with SC players ability to move where they wanted to go. Page, I don't think could have worked any harder running around screens to get the ball and score. Pages teammates were getting her the ball where she could do something with it as well.

I'm thinking that by the time this team gets in the tournament the opposition will be dealing with more players knocking down shots along with Page.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is it written in stone that she starts?
It will be really hard for anyone to get her out of the starting lineup. But if you assume that Liv, Aaliyah, Aubrey & Amari stock the 4 & 5 spots, there is going to be one hell of a logjam at the other 3 spots with Paige, Christyn, Nika, Azzi, Anna, Saylor & Caroline, and that assumes Evina doesn’t come back for a 5th year.

There are several factors in Nika’s favor. She is fearless and Geno really likes the way she plays. Most importantly, with Nika effectively running the point, it has freed up Paige to hunt her shot. As great as last night’s win was, it probably doesn’t happen with Paige running the point.

Reaction Score
It will be really hard for anyone to get her out of the starting lineup. But if you assume that Liv, Aaliyah, Aubrey & Amari stock the 4 & 5 spots, there is going to be one hell of a logjam at the other 3 spots with Paige, Christyn, Nika, Azzi, Anna, Saylor & Caroline, and that assumes Evina doesn’t come back for a 5th year.

There are several factors in Nika’s favor. She is fearless and Geno really likes the way she plays. Most importantly, with Nika effectively running the point, it has freed up Paige to hunt her shot. As great as last night’s win was, it probably doesn’t happen with Paige running the point.
I am in the minority but I think CW will start next year as well as Paige, Liv,Fudd, AE....IDK.....

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Paige's and Nika's emotion is contagious. So is their work ethic. Winning big games when you don't play your best feeds the beast. These young ladies believe aka Tug McGraw!!! As Nika said, we knew the last shot was going it.

Though last night's game was an edge of your seat nail biter, it was really enjoyable. It was what you would expect of #1 versus #2.

We have 3 freshman leading the charge and they have no fear. The rest of the season is going to be fun to watch.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As the season progresses, it will become harder and harder to keep Aaliah off the court whether starting or not.

There's not much she can't do now, and continued discipline and sophistication will improve all aspects...possible a bit small for a 5, but goodness, she sure is a bruiser (in the best aspect of that word).

I expect her value to exceed that of Olivia shortly, with the gulf widening.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Maybe we should give this team a nickname reminiscent of a 1960’s musical group:

Ouch, Not bad... Perhaps this should be a new thread.. I'm in with my first entry, "Born To Be Wild"

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
No comparison, Paige's first year in light years ahead of Sabrina mid way through season 1.

'

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
As a freshman, Paige is a significantly better player than Ionescu was as a freshman. Hell, as a freshman, Paige may be better than Ionescu was as a senior.
Once again all I had to do was go one more post to yours. If so I could have saved my poor tired index finger.

Reaction Score
Once again all I had to do was go one more post to yours. If so I could have saved my poor tired index finger.
I was thinking of Ionescu as she was last season, comparing apples to oranges (ie, the senior Sabrina to the freshman Paige). What can we hope for in 4 years? It's other-worldly.

Reaction Score

1612891904629.png

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I was thinking of Ionescu as she was last season, comparing apples to oranges (ie, the senior Sabrina to the freshman Paige). What can we hope for in 4 years? It's other-worldly.
Amen to that. Sky is the limit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom