OT: - UCLA fires Steve Alford | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: UCLA fires Steve Alford

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
If they don’t go after Musselman I seriously question who is leading that search. He is a west coast guy with west coast ties. He coaches with energy and would be a force on recruiting trail with a UCLA logo on his polo rather than a Nevada one. I would finish season with an interim —everyone now knows a huge job is open and can use time for feelers and plan B and plan C.
Happy New Year PST - Musselman put Nevada on the map with his program development. It wouldn't surprise me if he can now successfully recruit in all of the Western States, and gain a solid imprint in the Bay area, given its proximity.

Reaction Score
Will they really go full season interim? They can't? Can they?

Reaction Score
Any way to get Moses Brown to transfer over here? I believe we had offered and was a teammate of Sid.

:cool:

Reaction Score
Why not? The season is half over and they would be limiting their options.

I don't think they'll be limiting their options. Who, that they would reach out to, would say "no, not going to talk about it til after the season"? Plus, isn't their starting 5 all Top100 recruits? In that conference, they still have a shot to be competitive. Their centennial is next year and I'd think they'd want to have hoops in as good a position as possible. That would seem to mean, get a coach asap for recruiting leverage?

Reaction Score
Most any coach worth a darn has a team already. So unless they go NBA or retread with a retired coach, they will have to wait until late March at the earliest.

Reaction Score
NO way Musselman leaves NV mid season. Coaching is about winning, he has a team that can win the NC this year. The UCLA job will be there for him after the season is over.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Let's say Nevada wins the NC this year, no way Musselman builds Nevada up to that high of a caliber and then leaves right? I get it's UCLA but winning a NC could make Nevada a top tier program annually you would think.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Let's say Nevada wins the NC this year, no way Musselman builds Nevada up to that high of a caliber and then leaves right? I get it's UCLA but winning a NC could make Nevada a top tier program annually you would think.
As Mark Few has proved at Gonzaga, hoops is different than football in the sense that you can build a national championship caliber program outside of the P5. However, if UCLA comes in and offers Musselman 4 times what he makes at nevada, it will be hard to say no to that.

Reaction Score
As Mark Few has proved at Gonzaga, hoops is different than football in the sense that you can build a national championship caliber program outside of the P5. However, if UCLA comes in and offers Musselman 4 times what he makes at nevada, it will be hard to say no to that.

Hard to say, you can have a pretty comforable life in the Reno/tahoe area with a million dollar salary. Not everyone wants to live in SoCal, no matter what the salary.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Hard to say, you can have a pretty comforable life in the Reno/tahoe area with a million dollar salary. Not everyone wants to live in SoCal, no matter what the salary.
fair point. I just think there are some coaches out there who relish the opportunity to bring UCLA "back." Even though they've underachieved and had subpar seasons recently, they still have talent on the roster, and with the right coach, they should be able to pick up recruiting and, with the Pac 12 being down recently, should be able to compete for the conference championship every year. Time will tell if Musselman is the guy.

pj

Reaction Score
Probably? Leave a top 5 team mid season with a legit shot at a Final Four which would allow him to command even more money...smh

It's only smart to give his agent time to drive a hard bargain.

Reaction Score
Any way to get Moses Brown to transfer over here? I believe we had offered and was a teammate of Sid.

:cool:
This is what I’m most interested in, the early season firing and what’ll they do questions are intriguing, but my mind first went to who could we possibly poach off the roster or out of their commits. And no I haven’t checked either because I am lazy and figured one of you goons would do the work for me thank you.

Reaction Score
Yeah Chief. I have done several tours of duty covering CA from Manhattan and Stamford.

My order of preference is SF, SD and then LA. I have enjoyed all 3.
I would live in Cow Hollow in SF, Pacific or Ocean Beach in SD (La Jolla is 300k more than Westport.
I still never came up with my fantasy residence in LA. I would say Seal Beach but Christ it would take forever to go 25 miles. Maybe Redondo or Hermosa. Idk. Just too much traffic.
Spent almost 2 years in OB. 2 blocks from the start of Sunset Cliffs. Didn’t need a wave machine.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Seriously? It's way more expensive there. This house is what runs slightly over the average home price, $1.7M. 1400 sq feet, 2 bed, 1 bath, needs updating.

Meanwhile in Westport, CT for the same $1.7M you get this house. 5600 sq feet, 4 beds 7 baths, completely updated.
Yeah, but in the winter comes the second mortgage payment, except it's the heating bill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom