Uber and Lyft prices | The Boneyard

Uber and Lyft prices

Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed that the prices are outrageous now?
Haven’t taken an Uber in over a year. Will have to next week when I’m out in San Jose for work. Oh well, not on my dime.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Prices went down in my area. Jim Calhoun vacation home country. This is from my house to my job which is about a mile and a half.

0F8A7357-5681-4968-86A6-E6B7A1B3CA7E.jpeg

Reaction Score
It was what, 7:00 local time, in Chicago, on a Friday night when you posted this?

Ever heard of surge times?
It's like that anytime from 3-10 now on the weekend it was never like that before. u would get a 5 dollar hike, every once in a blue moon it could double. Now rides which used to be $12 are $40.

Reaction Score
It's like that anytime from 3-10 now on the weekend it was never like that before. u would get a 5 dollar hike, every once in a blue moon it could double. Now rides which used to be $12 are $40.
Did Uber have to classify drivers as employees? Don’t remember what ended up happening there, but if so I could see them passing the costs down.

Reaction Score
Always been like that man I remember back in Boston 6+ years ago

Good reason to know the T well lol

Reaction Score
Did Uber have to classify drivers as employees? Don’t remember what ended up happening there, but if so I could see them passing the costs down.
Well they weren’t paying for health insurance and all that because the drivers were “independent contractors” but I believe that has changed and @superjohn maybe that’s part of it actually

Reaction Score
Stay home and drink ?

Reaction Score
Yes, we’re in New Orleans and rates are nutty.
Like $25 for a 3 mi ride.

Don’t attempt to rent a car without a co-signer

Big props to the NORTA app

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think California tried and the gig workers fought back. Not sure if it’s been tried federally

Reaction Score
Lyft generally cheaper here in DC. Last night around 5:45 pm, it was $21 from Arlington, VA to upper NW DC. Same route on Uber priced out at $29. It wasn’t a short ride though, so I thought the price was fair.

Reaction Score
Recently have seen double to triple pre-pandemic prices here in Philly. My guess is fewer drivers. Also, many of the restaurants that are starting to transition back are having difficulty finding workers.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately between the pandemic & our government- people in our society who typically make between $30,000-$70,000 a year are finding a way to stay home & making a similar income with the support of the government & different programs. That is why there are so many places that are hiring who can’t find people- I can show you documentation on top of documentation how this is the case over the last 6 months+.

Just another ripple effect of the pandemic & when you tell people to stay home they get comfortable with that idea & it becomes habitual (remember it takes 21 days to create a habit- lol). Not to say that the government didn’t have a good reason to do so. Hopefully this issue doesn’t turn out to be a huge issue in our society for the long haul.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Last night around 8PM in Nashville it was $20 for a 1.5 mile Uber but only $11 for the same ride on Lyft. Took the Lyft. Doesn’t make sense, but the prices are always so different. We always check both.

Also have a new electric car ride share down here that just launched that is cheaper than both, but they only have 6 cars (all Tesla) and the wait times now are over an hour for a ride. We will schedule a ride with them if we know when we will need a ride, but otherwise can’t catch one anymore on demand.

Reaction Score
Is Car:go or Yandex in the states yet? Always found those to be reliable and fairly priced. Or maybe it is just in Europe. But I am sure one or both will expand, be on the lookout, always new things on the horizon.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately between the pandemic & our government- people in our society who typically make between $30,000-$70,000 a year are finding a way to stay home & making a similar income with the support of the government & different programs. That is why there are so many places that are hiring who can’t find people- I can show you documentation on top of documentation how this is the case over the last 6 months+.

Just another ripple effect of the pandemic & when you tell people to stay home they get comfortable with that idea & it becomes habitual (remember it takes 21 days to create a habit- lol). Not to say that the government didn’t have a good reason to do so. Hopefully this issue doesn’t turn out to be a huge issue in our society for the long haul.
The real answer to the question.
Supply and demand.
Major supplements to, and lengthy extensions of, unemployment compensation has had a dramatic effect on availability of labor for some basic jobs. Especially for the Contemporary Incan Literature majors working at Starbucks.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I’ve noticed that around me. I live in Hoboken, NJ and the Uber prices have doubled and more, it’s crazy.

Reaction Score
I haven't used Uber in a while, but assuming these increases apply in Connecticut, has anybody taken a taxi for the same distance and compared the prices to Uber's?

I liked that you could view the driver and car on the App, and the projected times of arrival, but with these price spikes, I do wonder if the conventional taxi rates are now lower or similar to Uber's?

Reaction Score
I haven't used Uber in a while, but assuming these increases apply in Connecticut, has anybody taken a taxi for the same distance and compared the prices to Uber's?

I liked that you could view the driver and car on the App, and the projected times of arrival, but with these price spikes, I do wonder if the conventional taxi rates are now lower or similar to Uber's?
Ordered a taxi both ways last night, they were $12 and $13, Uber would've been $37 and $47. Unfortunately street cabs don't really exist anymore but you can order them.

Reaction Score
Ordered a taxi both ways last night, they were $12 and $13, Uber would've been $37 and $47. Unfortunately street cabs don't really exist anymore but you can order them.
I remember a few years ago when I had an outpatient medical procedure, I called the local cab company a day or so before the procedure, and booked a cab.

It did arrive on time the day of the procedure. When completed, I called the cab company again, and the cab arrived within a reasonable time frame.

I would guess Uber will have to lower its prices if people catch on, and start calling cabs more often. Competition usually results in more reasonable prices.

Thanks for the heads up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Try Renting a car from an airport and especially in places like Florida, quadrupled from pre covid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom