OT: - U.S. Men's Open [golf] leaderboard....starts Thursday | The Boneyard

OT: U.S. Men's Open [golf] leaderboard....starts Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

Site: Los Angeles Country Club
The site means TV airtime will go into prime hours in the east.

Main TV times:

Thursday and Friday: 1:00-8:00 USA 8:00-11:00 NBC
Saturday 1:00-11:00 NBC
Sunday 1:00-10:00 NBC

Supposed to have delightful weather all 4 days...hope it plays fast on
the fairways and greens.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The PGA/LIV bunch…

7EC74B04-C39B-4986-96DD-06C16E389530.jpeg

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

This link takes you to some info about the course layout.

Note: 5 par threes...very unusual. A couple of them are close to 300 yards long....yikes!
Some very very long par fours. An incredibly long back nine. Par 70.

Reaction Score
The PGA/LIV bunch…

View attachment 88955

Not any more. A peace agreement has been signed. The problem is that the PGAT decided to fight back like it was a war, using lies, half truths and outright slanderous comments by it's "loyal" "employees" to smear anyone who changed tours. Now they have left players, Rory Mcllroy in particular, to face their erstwhile friends, friends that MCllroy says "make me puke" on the US Open course.
To make this especially interesting is that they have Mcllroy playing with Koepka for the 1st 2 rounds. Koepka is one of the "hidious traitors" that Mcllroy has been insulting since last summer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not any more. A peace agreement has been signed. The problem is that the PGAT decided to fight back like it was a war, using lies, half truths and outright slanderous comments by it's "loyal" "employees" to smear anyone who changed tours. Now they have left players, Rory Mcllroy in particular, to face their erstwhile friends, friends that MCllroy says "make me puke" on the US Open course.
To make this especially interesting is that they have Mcllroy playing with Koepka for the 1st 2 rounds. Koepka is one of the "hidious traitors" that Mcllroy has been insulting since last summer.
It’s the peace treaty that bothers me.

Reaction Score
PGA commissioner should be embarrassed. He took the easy way out instead of fighting back and being patient. That's why he's lost a lot of respect from the players.

Reaction Score
Another opportunity for Rory to redeem himself. Most top players peak in their mid 30s.

Reaction Score
PGA commissioner should be embarrassed. He took the easy way out instead of fighting back and being patient. That's why he's lost a lot of respect from the players.

This was a business decision. The whole thing was about $$$. The commish was doing what he was "advised to do. The Tour decided to turn a business conflict into a religous crusade, with Rory as it's zealot calling for the heretics to be excised.

Poor Mcllroy, not only can't he play under pressure, he has Brooks Koepka, the hero of LIV and winner of the PGA in his threesome. They tee off around 4PM tomorrow. I'm going to get my snacks ready and enjoy.

Reaction Score
This was a business decision. The whole thing was about $$$. The commish was doing what he was "advised to do. The Tour decided to turn a business conflict into a religous crusade, with Rory as it's zealot calling for the heretics to be excised.

Poor Mcllroy, not only can't he play under pressure, he has Brooks Koepka, the hero of LIV and winner of the PGA in his threesome. They tee off around 4PM tomorrow. I'm going to get my snacks ready and enjoy.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Pretty much half-way thru round one...some players haven't even teed off yet.

Ideal conditions...little wind....a bit of rain softened the greens....fairways are really
wide for a U.S. Open course.

So far: two players shot 8 under 62....new U.S. Open record. 5 shot lead at this point...wouldn't
be a bit surprised if some players on the course got closer than 5.

USGA probably not too happy at the low/low scores

Reaction Score
Was watching the Rahm group for a while and he wasn't hitting any fairways. All Drives were pulled left. I noticed his club head looked like it was almost a foot behind the tee addressing the ball. Is that normal for him?

Edit yes

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The course played too easy, partly because of wide fairways, soft greens, an odd configuration of pars (five 3s and three 5s), and easy pin placements. 25 players under par, including 2 at a record -8. Let's see what the USGA can do.

Reaction Score
When the fairways are concrete the winner is the one who a) got a few fortunate bounces and b) had almost no bad bunces.

Sometimes in their fixation on par the USGA distorts the conditions to an extreme. Are the bowling lanes made narrower and with camber for the Pro Bowling Tour? Are the dimensions and surfaces of tennis courts altered for title matches? If they want to make it harder, soften the fairways and keep the grass at 3/8". That will lower spin rates and bring creativity & shot making back.

Reaction Score
When the fairways are concrete the winner is the one who a) got a few fortunate bounces and b) had almost no bad bunces.

Sometimes in their fixation on par the USGA distorts the conditions to an extreme. Are the bowling lanes made narrower and with camber for the Pro Bowling Tour? Are the dimensions and surfaces of tennis courts altered for title matches? If they want to make it harder, soften the fairways and keep the grass at 3/8". That will lower spin rates and bring creativity & shot making back.
Like at a muni?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
These scores are lower than those typical in the first round of the Traveler's tourney [btw....next week].
The Traveler's is a very popular event...due to the crowds and the promoters who go out of their
way to make the players happy with perks etc. I don't think anybody regards the course as anything
but easy-to moderate in terms of difficulty. The U.S. Open should be on a much tougher set-up.

Wonder if the USGA will do some things to toughen the course up?

Suggestions:
Move tees back. Put pins closer to the edges of the greens. Do not water the greens...in fact...double cut them.
Will be interesting to hear the commentators making note of any changes made.

One good thing: page one of the leaderboard has many elite players. If a bunch of them are in contention late Sunday that would be exciting. It's a quirky course...playing even quirkier. If a quirky player wins it, that probably would be appropriate. IMO...'twill be a long time before the U.S. Open comes back to the Los Angeles CC.

Reaction Score
Was watching the Rahm group for a while and he wasn't hitting any fairways. All Drives were pulled left. I noticed his club head looked like it was almost a foot behind the tee addressing the ball. Is that normal for him?

Edit yes
I saw a YouTube suggestion for adding a draw when driving the ball which they said Rahm uses. Tee the ball as usual, and before swinging, move the club head behind the ball once (club is now 3-4 inches behind ball) and then once again (club is now about 8 inches behind ball). Now swing the driver with the backswing starting 8 inches behind ball, when contact happens, club head hits ball going upward (since low spot of swing is 8 inches behind ball) and ball has top spin and goes on a draw. I tried this, it works sometimes for me but is hard to control- some shots were overcooked. Maybe that is the problem he was having.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
After day 2: course fought back a bit...more sunshine late speeded things up.
Hope for more of the same on the weekend.

Fowler at 10 under leads by one...lots of players within 5 or 6 shots with
36 to go.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
After third round Fowler and Clark tied for lead at 10 under...neither has won a major.
Mcllroy at 9 under...several other elite players within 3 or so...Sheffler,
Dustin Johnson among them.

Course is playing harder last 2 days...lots of sunshine burning off
the marine layer...course playing faster and greens a bit bouncier.
Leaders go off around 5:30 eastern time. Shaping up for a nice finish...some
of the early criticism [course is too easy for the U.S. Open] was premature...but still more than usual
under par...errant tee shots finding wide fairways helps that. Think they said average width
was around 40 yards...typically in the U.S. Open more like 25.

BTW: Tour coming to Greater Hartford area next week...some UConn entrants in the Wednesday
Pro-Am...Geno and CD among them.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I belong to Great River Golf Club in Milford which is owed by Sacred Heart University. Head Golf Professional Andy Svoboda and former high school Ben James out of Hamden Hall ranked number 1 out of high school and number 1 freshman in the country now at Virginia are paired together tomorrow. Andy missed the cut at the US Open by one shot. Ben averaged 69 his first season at Virginia. Good Luck to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom