Tyrese Martin has my total respect. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin has my total respect.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I had heard Martin wasn’t going to apply for the waiver so I’m pumped it was a false scoop.

Very curious what our minutes distribution would look like with him in the fold.
Hurley confirmed he was applying for a waiver at the last off-season presser. But it was the most awkward answer he gave when asked about it. He said something to the effect of “the waiver is something HE is pursuing, you’ll have to ask him”. I couldn’t tell if Hurley was like challenging him or genuinely didn’t seem to care about it. Strange answer.

Reaction Score
Hurley confirmed he was applying for a waiver at the last off-season presser. But it was the most awkward answer he gave when asked about it. He said something to the effect of “the waiver is something HE is pursuing, you’ll have to ask him”. I couldn’t tell if Hurley was like challenging him or genuinely didn’t seem to care about it. Strange answer.
Maybe it's like when there is an on-going investigation and officials can't comment. He may be just avoiding a problem by not commenting. I'm sure all relevant testimony is in. The NCAA may also only notify the athlete, not the school?

Reaction Score
Was there a video of that Zoom conference call? Because all I saw in the papers was this.

Tyrese Martin, who transferred form Rhode Island, is still pursing a waiver from the NCAA that would allow him to play in 2020-21. Martin and UConn have done the necessary paper work, but with so much unresolved with fall sports due to the pandemic, Hurley was not expecting a decision from the NCAA soon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carey transferred on 6/5 and received his waiver on 8/19, thats exactly 2.5 months even if he applied for the waiver immediately...which raises the question, why didn't martin?

iirc we didn't get confirmation that martin had applied for a waiver until a newspaper article from 8/4. we don't know exactly when he applied for it but he committed here way back in mid-april. so if he was going to apply for a waiver all along then why wait so long? he could have applied for his waiver before carey did and had a decision by now.

the timeline in combination with hurley's flippant remarks on the subject make me think applying for a waiver wasn't the original plan and something changed during the summer

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carey transferred on 6/5 and received his waiver on 8/19, thats exactly 2.5 months even if he applied for the waiver immediately...which raises the question, why didn't martin?

iirc we didn't get confirmation that martin had applied for a waiver until a newspaper article from 8/4. we don't know exactly when he applied for it but he committed here way back in mid-april. so if he was going to apply for a waiver all along then why wait so long? he could have applied for his waiver before carey did and had a decision by now.

the timeline in combination with hurley's flippant remarks on the subject make me think applying for a waiver wasn't the original plan and something changed during the summer
My two cents..Timeline could be affected by a few things.. When or if 2020 season?? Signing JHawk and targeting other SFs(ie. Justice Williams) for 2022 and beyond (making room for them).. Martin's own timeline to move on from college sooner rather than later.. Because there's already a solid relationship between TM and DH..I'm sure DH is trying to help him strengthen his chances for the next level by leveraging the UConn BB platform....Whether that's overseas or stateside..

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Is this our most complete team top to bottom ever? Seems like there’s not much falloff in talent with our 2nd team.
Can we please let these kids play a dozen games before we anoint them individually as the next MJ and the team as the next national champion?
The lineup is solid but geez...…………………….
So true. I think we need to level set expectations and realize that while enthusiasm is extremely high for good reason, we lost a couple of very big pieces in CV and AG and there are a lot of new faces who, other than a bunch of highlight reels, we really don't know how they'll hold up playing in the rigors of Big East basketball game in and game out. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than miserably underwhelmed. Is there anyone on the team who can be counted on to make 10 out of 10 free throws down the stretch to seal wins similar to CV? Perhaps, but I don't think we really know.

Reaction Score
I mean lets be honest we have an issue if Martin doesn't get his waiver approved. Everyone else is!

Reaction Score
how do these get adjudicated -is it FIFO? And, if so, what date was Martin's versus other requests?

Reaction Score
This all makes me confident he will. But agree about the rioting otherwise.

C

Chief00

Is there anyone on the team who can be counted on to make 10 out of 10 free throws down the stretch to seal wins similar to CV? Perhaps, but I don't think we really know.
I agree, having a good FT guy, who hands you can put the ball in - is key!

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
My guess is that they can get the waiver if they want but Hurley is trying to convince him to take a redshirt year based on need and slide him into the Polley combo forward role next year.

Reaction Score
My guess is that they can get the waiver if they want but Hurley is trying to convince him to take a redshirt year based on need and slide him into the Polley combo forward role next year.
Can't see that because he can get the waiver and still redshirt if they wanted him to.

Reaction Score

This feels pretty unlikely

Reaction Score
Appears the NCAA has moved on to the declining portion of waivers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA