Tyrese Martin has my total respect. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin has my total respect.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The 2004 team.

PG - Taliek Brown (HS Consensus 10)
SG - Ben Gordon (2004 3rd pick, HS Consensus 41)
SG/SF - Denham Brown (2006 40th pick, HS Consensus 34)
PF - Josh Boone (2006 23rd pick, HS Consensus 95)
C - Emeka Okafor (2004 2nd pick, HS Consensus 99)

Wait. What? Taliek Brown?
You know you can't win a National Championship with Taliek Brown as your point guard, don't you? I read it in the paper. Heard it on the radio, It must be true.
[/Sarcasm]

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Andrew Bynum blew-up in the McDonald’s All Star Game. Another Clyde recruit. He had a magic with Bigs.
I remember him being super overweight and not doing much of anything in the McDonald's game. Think it was after that that he gained some traction. Remember Calhoun said his sources said he wouldn't be a lottery pick when he declared last minute... then he went 10th or so

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Other thing was my friend Clyde was on staff working the Bigs.
What’s he doing these days?

Reaction Score
I remember him being super overweight and not doing much of anything in the McDonald's game. Think it was after that that he gained some traction. Remember Calhoun said his sources said he wouldn't be a lottery pick when he declared last minute... then he went 10th or so
I'm pretty sure, actually I'm certain, it was at the McD's practices and McD's game where NBA scouts got interested in Bynum. He improved his conditioning before the McD's game. When would they have seen him play after the game to change their view if they weren't interested after the McD's game?

Here are some articles.

The East and the West squads of the MacDonald's All American Game went at it again during morning practices today. Several players stood out, but none of them stood out more than the East team's 6-foot-11, 270-pound center Andrew Bynum.

One particular sequence that stood out was when Bynum made a 15-foot jump shot and then raced the length of the court to block a lay up attempt by Louis Williams going the other direction.

Making the most significant jump of any player in the Rivals150, Andrew Bynum leaped from No. 28 to No. 6 in the final rankings for the 2005 class.

Always possessing the potential to be a top ten player, Bynum, a 7-foot, 300-pound center, improved his conditioning during his senior season and is now able to consistently get up and down the court. Once in the lane, the 17 year old Bynum is a force both defensively and offensively. With his great size, he can prevent shots without even jumping, and with his improved mobility, he can rebound outside of his position.

Reaction Score
Agree with 2004, but I don’t know of many other rosters we’ve had where our #6-13 players on the roster were this strong, (again outside of that 2004 team.)

C

Chief00

What’s he doing these days?
Doing some Big camps in Chicago in recent years. A shame his career ended on a misdemeanor charge which bordered on entrapment given what the undercover cop was charging.

CL82

Reaction Score
Doing some Big camps in Chicago in recent years. A shame his career ended on a misdemeanor charge which bordered on entrapment given what the undercover cop was charging.
Yeah, but it was world class dumb, and (at least) the second time he was charged if I recall correctly. Always felt bad for him, but it was definitely all on him. He was a really good bigs coach for us, I would have loved to kept him here. Regardless, I wish him well.

C

Chief00

Yeah, but it was world class dumb, and (at least) the second time he was charged if I recall correctly. Always felt bad for him, but it was definitely all on him. He was a really good bigs coach for us, I would have loved to kept him here. Regardless, I wish him well.
A good 2013 interview where he admits mistakes and does mention a day job - helping people with disabilities. Says Calhoun states he was his best recruiter and I would agree. Interesting coaching theory about how Bigs should learn how to play small to big - getting low and using leverage and lower body explosion. More than 2 arrests - different interations of his name confused police records.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

I'm pretty sure, actually I'm certain, it was at the McD's practices and McD's game where NBA scouts got interested in Bynum. He improved his conditioning before the McD's game. When would they have seen him play after the game to change their view if they weren't interested after the McD's game?

Here are some articles.

The East and the West squads of the MacDonald's All American Game went at it again during morning practices today. Several players stood out, but none of them stood out more than the East team's 6-foot-11, 270-pound center Andrew Bynum.

One particular sequence that stood out was when Bynum made a 15-foot jump shot and then raced the length of the court to block a lay up attempt by Louis Williams going the other direction.

Making the most significant jump of any player in the Rivals150, Andrew Bynum leaped from No. 28 to No. 6 in the final rankings for the 2005 class.

Always possessing the potential to be a top ten player, Bynum, a 7-foot, 300-pound center, improved his conditioning during his senior season and is now able to consistently get up and down the court. Once in the lane, the 17 year old Bynum is a force both defensively and offensively. With his great size, he can prevent shots without even jumping, and with his improved mobility, he can rebound outside of his position.

Correct.

C

Chief00

Andrew Bynum never put on a UConn jersey. Let’s stay focused here.
He will always be a UConn guy to me. Mrs. Calhoun says he’s the tallest guy whoever walked through their doorway.

Reaction Score
Because I just love the city of Chicago, I would love to see him join Dave as his bigs coach. It astounds me that a Chicago school doesn't rake in recruiting that city. Dave may have it going a bit and Clyde could help.

Lots of qualifying issues out of Chicago public high schools even at DU, unfortunately. Private school kids hit ND and Northwestern as well as Michigan as a semi rule of thumb. Dave needs to take a page from his old boss and sell the conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
A good 2013 interview where he admits mistakes and does mention a day job - helping people with disabilities. Says Calhoun states he was his best recruiter and I would agree. Interesting coaching theory about how Bigs should learn how to play small to big - getting low and using leverage and lower body explosion. More than 2 arrests - different interations of his name confused police records.
I am the director of an agency that services adults that move into the community that have intellectual disabilities and mental health [issues] ... I really love it.

Good for him.

C

Chief00

Because I just love the city of Chicago, I would love to see him join Dave as his bigs coach. It astounds me that a Chicago school doesn't rake in recruiting that city. Dave may have it going a bit and Clyde could help.

Lots of qualifying issues out of Chicago public high schools even at DU, unfortunately. Private school kids hit ND and Northwestern as well as Michigan as a semi rule of thumb. Dave needs to take a page from his old boss and sell the conference.
He’s been away from it for 16 years so it would be an adjustment - but Chief would love Clyde to get another chance. Kimani got another chance and that proved to be a good move by Dan.

Reaction Score
Let's assume for the moment that Yarders believe in "second chances" and Clyde would like to coach again.. He would be an excellent coach for our stable of Bigs entering into the BE wars..Teaching them the craft.. He's been there ..done that.. BTW..I am aware of what he was charged with.. I do not know any of the background on issues around those charges..Everyone makes mistakes ..

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Thabeet never visited?
Good question - IDK - Thabeet was maybe two inches taller perhaps? Bynum would have been a physically bigger man at that age filling that doorway given his HS weight then.
Bynum would have been there on his visit when Calhoun still lived in Mansfield. Can’t remember the timeline of them moving to Pomfort, which is further away.
I remember Chief sat near Thabeet at a game at Gampel when he visited - so I doubt the Calhoun’s were entertaining that weekend - LOL. Jim was laser focused before a game.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
The 2004 team.

PG - Taliek Brown (HS Consensus 10)
SG - Ben Gordon (2004 3rd pick, HS Consensus 41)
SG/SF - Denham Brown (2006 40th pick, HS Consensus 34)
PF - Josh Boone (2006 23rd pick, HS Consensus 95)
C - Emeka Okafor (2004 2nd pick, HS Consensus 99)

PG - Marcus Williams (2006 22nd pick, HS Consensus 41)
SG - Shamon Tooles
SG/SF - Rashad Anderson (HS Consensus 24)
PF - Charlie Villanueva (2005 7th pick, HS Consensus 18)
C - Hilton Armstrong (2006 12th pick)

PF - Marcus White (HS Consensus 81)
Owned

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He will always be a UConn guy to me. Mrs. Calhoun says he’s the tallest guy whoever walked through their doorway.
I assume Thabeet never got the invite.

Reaction Score
I had heard Martin wasn’t going to apply for the waiver so I’m pumped it was a false scoop.

Very curious what our minutes distribution would look like with him in the fold.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom