Two more things on the agenda | The Boneyard

Two more things on the agenda

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ol Ned Lamont likes the move.

1. Great - get your legislature to invest in XL. Normally I’d say wasted money - but your last budget made it clear we ain’t ever paying so why stop borrowing.

2. Since we are gonna fix XL - cancel the on campus rinky dink - no need for uconn to waste those dollars leasing their own building

Can someone at Hockey East generate the TV/Streaming revenue that league deserves? NBC seems like the perfect partner - their NBC Sports Gold is a pretty decent streaming platform and have some linear capacity outside of Notre Dame. Hockey East has way more value than the schools extract.

Reaction Score
2. Since we are gonna fix XL - cancel the on campus rinky dink - no need for uconn to waste those dollars leasing their own building
You’re saying get rid of Gampel?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
If it made sense to upgrade XL there would be private investment flowing in. It doesn’t. The state needs to cut taxes and balance and shrink it’s budget before no one is left in the state, no more expensive union pet projects, Hubble is the latest company to leave. Give gampel a minor upgrade like a Jumbotron and move all the games back there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If it made sense to upgrade XL there would be private investment flowing in. It doesn’t. The state needs to cut taxes and balance and shrink it’s budget before no one is left in the state, Hubble is the latest company to leave. Give gampel a minor upgrade like a Jumbotron and move all the games back there.

lol. sure. that all makes sense. did you see the budget they passed? they didnt even raise taxes and managed to not touch the debt.

since it’s all the value of the currency in the boardgame life - why bother worrying about it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wait we have one??? LOL I never noticed. Get rid of that. ASAP.

They have a plan to build one. It’s more insane than football independence.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

1. Great - get your legislature to invest in XL. Normally I’d say wasted money - but your last budget made it clear we ain’t ever paying so why stop borrowing.

Can someone at Hockey East generate the TV/Streaming revenue that league deserves? NBC seems like the perfect partner - their NBC Sports Gold is a pretty decent streaming platform and have some linear capacity outside of Notre Dame. Hockey East has way more value than the schools extract.

I think they currently extract zero value.

I would be happier if someone told me, look, yes, we have killed the football program, but we see that you’re upset, so we’re going to give you an extra 1,000 seats in the hockey barn.

Reaction Score
What kind of money could we generate if we pawn all of the football equipment???

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
lol. sure. that all makes sense. did you see the budget they passed? they didnt even raise taxes and managed to not touch the debt.

since it’s all the value of the currency in the boardgame life - why bother worrying about it.
First of all the budget which doesn’t come close to blancing has all sorts of revenue increases. Second of all the states we compete with are running surpluses and lowering their taxes, expanding their base. Mass just lowered its marginal rate as did North and South Carolina, Florida who has largely caught up to us in education and wages doesn’t have income taxation at all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think they currently extract zero value.

I would be happier if someone told me, look, yes, we have killed the football program, but we see that you’re upset, so we’re going to give you an extra 1,000 seats in the hockey barn.

If we are going to cook the books - we want the state to eat the money for XL and not waste a cent on a useless building. Ned and Co want to snap towels? Great the basketball team is going to average 2-3k more in Hartford - give us better times and upgrade the building.

Hockey isn’t harmed by playing in Htfd other than the weird schedules they get stuck with.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First of all the budget which doesn’t come close to blancing has all sorts of revenue increases. Second of all the states we compete with are running surpluses and lowering their taxes, expanding their base. Mass just lowered its marginal rate as did North and South Carolina, Florida who has largely caught up to us in education and wages doesn’t have income taxation at all.

The ‘revenue increases’ are mostly removing sales tax exemptions that are peanuts.

The budget already passed and they kicked the can down the road. No reason to be the chump that doesn’t benefit from that - starving the capital of a functional building doesn’t close the long term gap.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
is it a practice facility?

There are renovations to the Frietas... AND a new rink that is too small to be useful. Bunch of threads on hockey board.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

There is no value in televising college hockey. Zero. Zilch. Nil. NBCSN used to do it and stopped, Hockey East had to time buy on NESN for years when the league was roaring and begs them for the current deal.

The league has totally inept and incompetent leadership, but there's no TV money to be made there.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
There is no value in televising college hockey. Zero. Zilch. Nil. NBCSN used to do it and stopped, Hockey East had to time buy on NESN for years when the league was roaring and begs them for the current deal.

The league has totally inept and incompetent leadership, but there's no TV money to be made there.
There are pro hockey teams that have trouble securing TV deals. There just isn’t much money in the sport.

pj

Reaction Score
There are pro hockey teams that have trouble securing TV deals. There just isn’t much money in the sport.

Hockey is more fun to play than to watch. And most people haven't played.

Reaction Score
Hockey is more fun to play than to watch. And most people haven't played.
Program should probably be shuttered entirely.

Reaction Score

Wait, what?

% High school graduate
CT: 90.2% (19th)
FL: 87.6% (32nd)
U.S.: 87.3%

% Bachelor's degree
CT: 38.4% (4th)
FL: 28.5% (30th)
U.S.: 30.9%

% Advanced degree
CT: 17.0% (4th)
FL: 10.3% (29th)
U.S.: 11.8%

List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia

Average SAT scores, 2018:
CT: ERW - 535, Math - 519, Total - 1053
FL: ERW - 522, Math - 493, Total - 1014

Reaction Score

Lol, you think at a time when the state should be kicking itself for building a football stadium 15 years ago (which soon will get even less use) that the state is going to open their wallets to re-build the XL? You need to come back to reality. I realize you’re giddy over this move to the Big East, but once that high wears off maybe you’ll see how ridiculous you sound. No way the XL is getting torn down and re-built in the next 5 years unless some private investor comes in and dumps a pile of $$ on it and I just don’t see that happening. I also think it’s cute that you think college hockey should get paid to be on tv.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lol, you think at a time when the state should be kicking itself for building a football stadium 15 years ago (which soon will get even less use) that the state is going to open their wallets to re-build the XL? You need to come back to reality. I realize you’re giddy over this move to the Big East, but once that high wears off maybe you’ll see how ridiculous you sound. No way the XL is getting torn down and re-built in the next 5 years unless some private investor comes in and dumps a pile of $$ on it and I just don’t see that happening. I also think it’s cute that you think college hockey should get paid to be on tv.

after being proved as wrong as you were about the AAC - mebbe sit a few rounds out.

also don’t invent things in my post that aren’t there.

plenty of great content for you to enjoy on espn + perhaps spend you time there?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom